Menu

We had a house fire yesterday

We won't be living there for several months, we'll probably have to gut the inside. Thankfully we were all up and dressed and got out of the house. There are so many praises I could give, but basically through it all we are safe and still have a standing structure. Our church family has been wonderful, sending us food, clothes, etc. Lot's of men have volunteered to help. The cause was electrical but the insurance guy isn't sure why it started, so we'll have to get a formal report from the fire marshall.

My biggest griefs are our family photo albums which are soaked and our thousands of books. We might be able to get them ionized...lots to figure out.

I'll post pictures on my blog soon. You can look through my sons 2nd floor closet to the outside (from the stairs) while looking through the stair wall to the kitchen on the first floor to the basement floor below.

Anyway. I'm between being fine, overwhelmed by the outpourings of generosity and crying jags.

I am soo grateful for 911 and volunteer fire men. Without them our house would be burned to the ground.

Prayers are with you! Thankfully you are all fine -- that is what is most important!

Our family is living in a hotel until about 12/1 because of water damage from a leaky pipe --I am sure our kids will not ever plead to go to a hotel after this....but the complimentary breakfast is nice!

Best wishes to you! Again, so happy you are all okay!

Oh my goodness!!!! :grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear this, but very relieved that you're all safe!!!

Things can be replaced...but I'm sure it must be heartbreaking!!

(Oh..and keep the photos...I've heard of businesses that are able to restore damaged photos after a fire....perhaps you'll be able to do this, at least with some of the favorites).

I am so sorry for the stuff you have lost. I know someone here who went through that and it still greives her to think of all the photos and mementos that got ruined/destroyed. I am so thankful you and your family are safe and all got out. I know you will hear lots that the most important thing is you are safe, you can replace items but not people. That is so true but I know I would be devestated to lose my photos of the kids growing up, the items I have saved that they have made, first outfit etc.

If there is anything we can do let us know.

My prayers are with you, Lisa! It's good to know you're being well cared for.

ITA, I just finished an album of pictures for my cousin who lost all hers in a house that claimed her son's life. I got pictures from all the relatives I could contact and copied them and returned the originals. It was time consuming but a labor of love and she really, really appreciated it. So, once the immediate things get sorted out, start with friends and relatives and you'll be amazed how many pictures will come rolling in. HTH

:grouphug: I am so sorry.

I'm not sure what an ionizing process is but wanted to mention that we had a major flood here and I learned that if you freeze a book within 48 hours it can be saved. If there are special books consider freezing them in bags if you have access to a freezer.

thank-you all for the kind words, prayers and good advice. My 9 yo and 6 yo are really having a hard time right now- I covet your prayers and thoughts for them. My oldest in KY had swine flu last week and is better but will probably take several incompletes for the semster, too.

We are grateful to still be a family and to be surrounded by friends!!!

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. We owned a house that had a house fire a couple years ago. We weren't living there, but some renters were. Everything in the house had to be replaced. It was absolutely terrible and it wasn't even my stuff in the house. I remember the emotion well. I can only imagine what you're going through.

The good news is that our house was re-built on the inside (and outside!). All new walls, flooring, windows, siding, etc. We were able to rebuild the way we wanted - taking out walls and all. It ended up being nicer than when we lived there!! If there's a bright side to all of this, that's it!!!

Thank God you are all okay. Your poor kids . . .

:grouphug:

I agree with the other posters, don't throw away books/photos/other paper that is water logged. There are companies that can restore them...not to perfection but at least making them useable. Your insurance company probably knows several to recommend, and should pay for it as well (obviously depends on your policy, but it's part of the restoration process).

When we lived in California an earthquake shook our house strongly enough that many of my heirloom knick knacks fell and broke. I grieved for the loss as it was irreplaceable, many were generations old. I couldn't bring myself to throw them out, but of course, couldn't display them broken in half....or so I thought. Then a dear friend reminded me that their breaks and cracks were now a part of their history.....not one I wanted, but nonetheless part of their story. So, we had many of them repaired as best could be...some still have holes where the pieces were too shattered to save, but they are proudly on display once again. Your photos may be the same way....they may have burnt edges, or warped from water damage, faded, whatever....but remember, photos are really meant just to jog your memory so that the true memories of the occasion of the photo return to you. Have them repaired as best they can and then display them in a photo album so that you can continue to flip through and remember your life....the children and their antics as well as the fire. THe pain of the loss will always be with you, but just like the loss of a grandparent, the pain will subside to a tolerable level and become a cherised memory of a time when your friends showed you the love you knew was always there, but the evidence was precious.

:grouphug: