Menu

X-post: Public colleges/universities in Georgia... Where would you go if you wanted

...to earn a B.A. in music, if your plan was to use your music for writing & performing Christian praise/worship music in retreats/camps/etc.?

I'm asking this on behalf of my son, who is a sophomore music major contemplating a transfer from his small, private Christian college to a state college or university in Georgia. You might have seen my post earlier this week where I mentioned that the music department at his college is being eliminated as of the end of Spring Semester 2010.

I would simply look for an excellent music program, not specifically a Christian one, because good music is good music. The same musical principles apply, regardless of the lyrics.

That said, he might like a campus that has a Campus Crusade For Christ or other Christian group that incorporates music into the worship portion of their meetings, in order to network and get some hands-on practice.

Is Wesleyan still all-women? They have a fabulous music department.

Would he consider Alabama or does he need to stay in GA (does he have the in-state scholarship?)? Samford has a good music department. If he'd consider SMU, we could adopt him :)

Now wait a minute. If he's going to come to TX for music...well...I haven't *heard* anything about the music prog at SMU. I know UNT is pretty big (for music), in these parts, at least. I've heard that SWBTS is a big deal, in the Christian music aspect, depending on what his plans are.

BUT everyone who's ever known me well has had an epiphany at some point: You're NOT tone-deaf! they cry in amazement.

So I probably shouldn't even be posting to this thread. ;)

Is Wesleyan still all-women? They have a fabulous music department.

Would he consider Alabama or does he need to stay in GA (does he have the in-state scholarship?)? Samford has a good music department. If he'd consider SMU, we could adopt him :)

He does get Georgia's HOPE scholarship -- $3500 per year.

Now wait a minute. If he's going to come to TX for music...well...I haven't *heard* anything about the music prog at SMU. I know UNT is pretty big (for music), in these parts, at least. I've heard that SWBTS is a big deal, in the Christian music aspect, depending on what his plans are.

BUT everyone who's ever known me well has had an epiphany at some point: You're NOT tone-deaf! they cry in amazement.

So I probably shouldn't even be posting to this thread. ;)

:lol:

I forgot about UNT - but he could live with us and (kinda sorta) walk to SMU :001_smile:

He does get Georgia's HOPE scholarship -- $3500 per year.

Would Covenant College work? Fabulous location. Strong Christian heritage.

What about Berry College in Rome? It's in a pretty location as well.

I know nothing about the music dept. at either though:001_huh:

I'm sorry you're facing this situation! Argh.