Menu

Sometimes I just need to hear and read things like this. Will you post your reasons, along with other advantages for homeschooling high school?

(It's not so much that I'm doubting, but that I'm hearing more about school from friends who have chosen to put their kids into school. I need to balance that out with positives for homeschooling through high school.)

As for me and my house... we chose to start homeschooling when my oldest reached high school. I work in our local high school... and the level of education there just doesn't match what I want for my own sons - esp in math and science (my specialties). Our school is officially failing with the NCLB and we've had kids in the top 10 of our graduating class test into remedial testing when they go off to college. Many kids return from college not having been able to handle the classwork.

On 'paper' the school looks good - they offer many classes from Anatomy to Calculus and have computers in the classroom, etc, but what I'm looking for are results. I've been in our top Alg 2 classes and had many kids who didn't know how to solve for x in the equation y=mx+b. They might be getting A's, but what they are learning isn't sticking. Our school also dropped AP classes in favor of a 'College in the High School' program. Kids were doing horribly on the AP tests... and could get A's with the new program (local ps teachers). Interestingly enough, I noticed one of the PA colleges my oldest considered will not accept any credits earned through that program. I know at least one student of ours went there...

Then... we are on 'block' scheduling (semester classes, not year round). This means science and math barely complete half of the material. Technically they are supposed to work twice as quickly, but that never happens. Those teachers that give finals have had to cut 1/3rd to 1/2 of the material off of them since they don't have time to cover it. Add in weeks of time giving state tests and the occasional 'movie day' and other assorted deals... there just isn't much teaching time.

And... the level of apathy among the students is high. Most do as little as they can to get by. Math is done in 'groups' (tests too), so one student might know how to do something and the rest copy. When they give individual tests 70% is a high score... with super easy problems IMO. Anything over 1100 (M/CR) is considered a really good SAT score. All the rest 'test poorly' since they are obviously better students who get A's in their courses (forget the fact that they can't multiply 6x7 without a calculator and don't even begin to think of fractions without one). Few actually WANT to learn.

Discipline in some classes is a real issue - even with strong disciplinarian teachers - forget those who aren't 'lion' personalities.

Cheating is rampant in some classes, but that's probably always been true.

I read today in our paper that we are also losing the drug war with heroin... and most of the students they are finding with it are 'good' kids from middle class families. It's sad.

In general, I think the teachers at our school are worthy and would use many as personal tutors or teachers, but in the system we have... it's just not getting up to the level I want for my own kids. Even they are stymied at how to improve things. They can't fail kids - students complain to parents, parents complain to the school, the school changes grades and 'counsels' the teacher on how to improve - leading to easier tests, etc.

In my mind, many of these kids COULD be better students. They just have nothing expected of them and perform accordingly - with their peers - all the while thinking they are doing great.

In a different school district we might have made a different decision, but at this point, now that I've homeschooled my oldest up to getting accepted in college, I've kind of fallen in love with homeschooling. The difference I see in my kids vs kids at the public school is literally night and day - even among those that were their best pals (some still are).

Through out elementary and middle school you are building the education foundation. In High School, you are able to reap the benefits of what you have sown. The earlier years were mainly about facts. In high school, you get to discuss the ideas with your children. You get to converse with them and learn thier thoughts when they are reading. You get a chance to share their thoughts. It is a time of really getting to know your child. Currently my son and I are reading "Mein Kampf" by Hitler. This morning my son and I had a totally impromtu talk about why he was elected to office and given power ,despite all the things he said in his book (paranoind ramblings about Jews). We have had a great many discussion over his high school years, that I don't think would happen in an ordeinary classroom.

It also gives them time to follow their interests. My son loves debate. I can choose to have less other classes, so that he can devote more time to debate. In high school, he has often chosen the books that we will study. Of course, when it is something he has chosen he is going to learn more from it.

Homeschooling high school can be tough. Truthfully, they were some of my hardest years. But they were also the best. I feel like not only did I get to plant the seeds in his younger years, but I was able to help him bloom in his high school years.

As for me and my house... we chose to start homeschooling when my oldest reached high school. I work in our local high school... and the level of education there just doesn't match what I want for my own sons - esp in math and science (my specialties).

So, for these subjects, what are you doing? Even though my daughter is only in 6th, I have been stressing over highschool since I thought of homeschooling:001_unsure:

I just got Singapore for her (at the right level, I think) and I also got Algebra from Video Text.... I had public school at home, at private school (small... so both ways I just was suppose to "teach myself") and then at public school where the teacher was transferred cuz over half of his students were failing... and then last... at college where I sat in the front row, but couldn't hear because the Teacher couldn't make the students stop talking. UGH

So, I did some basic Algebra, but truly am not good at it!

So.. Algebra I'm learning... and my husband is an engineer... so I've got that covered...

Science.... I was thinking of having her take at the PS. What are YOU doing for Science?? How are you making sure your kids really understand??

Carrie:bigear:

Ditto with EVERYTHING that creekland said! Accelerated block scedule here too. Drugs - of course. School looks good on paper, but. . . EVERTHING is the same at the local ps.

Also, kids at the ps don't know how to study, read a text . . . A study found here in Texas - they followed the top 10% who went to texas colleges and a large percentage had significant trouble freshman year in college.

Barb

I live in the top rated school district in the state. Yet there is zero chance of me sending my kids to the public high school.

We made the NY Times several weeks ago for a hazing incident. There have been several cases of kids driving drunk. One student is charged with manslaughter for driving either under the influence of drugs/alcohol in another incident and he killed someone.

I have two high schoolers on my street and the kids/parents describe the school as the "unfun" school. Competition is so fierce, the school is crowded with kids, not enough classrooms. But we do have the highest SAT scores around.

And school starts at 7:15 or 7:30 in the morning.

Reasons 1-100 I am not sending my kids to public school.

I have no doubt my kids can get an equal/if not better education between homeschooling, taking community college courses, online courses, courses offered by different groups, etc.

Plus they will have the opportunity to do community service and pursue their outside interests (my daughter is on a skating team and skates 15-20 hours/week).

My dd17 was in public school through 10th grade. The school was so bureaucratic, and the counselors could only follow checklists. My dd was getting frustrated because the counselor couldn't or wouldn't put her in the classes she wanted. The classes she was most excited about taking, culinary classes, were not instructive at all.

She was very interested in going to culinary school after graduation. But in high school culinary class, the students did nothing but math. More than half of her classmates didn't understand how to double a recipe, let alone add different amounts like 1/2 cup and 1/3 of a cup. That's no exaggeration. There were only 3 people including my dd who could handle fractions. Because of that, the class couldn't move forward. It became more of a basic math course. My dd didn't learn any specific cooking skills.

In math class, she was actually helping classmates who didn't understand. She told me that she walked around the classroom and helped students at the same time the teacher did. But the school wouldn't move her ahead in math because the credits wouldn't match up. :confused: Anytime I tried to talk to the counselor, I was patronized because I am just a mother and couldn't possibly understand high school progression.

Just lots of little stories like that. To be honest, she and I have had a rough time with homeschooling so far. But I've been homeschooling my other 2 children for 8 years. I hadn't looked into high school classes because I was still focusing on elementary and middle school. When we pulled my dd out of high school, it was a big shock on our family. We all just floundered. It's been over a school year and we're just now kicking into gear. It has set her back. My DH and I don't want that for our other 2 children and will not even consider putting them in school.

BTW, I had custody issues with my oldest and I couldn't homeschool her yet. Then when I could, she was so afraid she chose to stay in school. But after 2 years, she realized the whole system was stupid. We live in Georgia which isn't exactly known for having a great school system.

In High School, you are able to reap the benefits of what you have sown. The earlier years were mainly about facts. In high school, you get to discuss the ideas with your children. You get to converse with them and learn thier thoughts when they are reading. You get a chance to share their thoughts. It is a time of really getting to know your child.

Yes! This inspires me; this is what I am working toward.

In every area: education; socialization; spiritual, emotional, and physical safety, I think homeschooling is the better option.

Education: I don't have to teach everything at home, but I am in charge of who teaches what to my kids. As someone else said, the schools are very good at making it look good on paper, but in fact, much of their time is wasted, and most of their graduates are poorly educated to an astonishing degree.

Socialization: I was just remarking to my 11th grade son today that teen male culture is the epitome of foolishness as defined in the book of Proverbs. Teen girl culture is heartbreaking - more on that under 'emotional safety.' I want my young adults to be individuals, not fearful and forced into conforming to the crowd.

Spiritual safety: I don't have much to say about private Christian schools in this regard, but public schools? Been in one lately? 'Nuff said.

Emotional safety: From middle school on, kids/teens can be BRUTAL to each other. This is especially true with girls, some of whom seem to be masters at psychological torture. Boys are usually okay, unless they're skinny, unathletic, and shy. Then they seem to go through school with a giant target painted on their backs. Girls, however, are given the message that if they aren't skinny, fashionable, attractive, befriended by the 'in' crowd, and able to get a boyfriend that there is something seriously wrong with them. They quickly get the message that they are of little value, and at that age, the message sinks in deeply.

Physical safety: Probably not usually a big problem, but if it is, it's important.

Finally, if God calls you to it, he will equip you for it.

Blessings,

Debbie

I was all set to start homeschooling, just my little Kindergarten girl, when my eldest son said he wanted to homeschool, too. I've posted our story many times, but basically, I started homeschooling high school because he asked me to.

His reasons? He wanted everything in one place (no changing classes), he wanted to ask us his questions instead of asking strangers (teachers), and he wanted to read something that mattered (had to read Tears of a Tiger, about a drunk driving/suicide issue, teen-type fiction--wanted meat instead of twaddle).

My reasons? I found it was a chance to hear his opinions and help shape his worldview. I could tailor the curriculum to his needs. I could get him to do his best work at the best time of day for him. I could offer him a feast of literature, excellent history, math he could understand, science from a God-filled pov. He could take Bible. We could bond more. I could keep him from very negative peer influence.

And, I like my son. It was fun to be around him. It built our relationship, and made me a better person. Finally, our family entered an extremely difficult time around the same year as we started homeschooling--other Ds' addiction/mental illness, etc. issues came about. Homeschooling was God's provision for me to provide security and comfort for my other kids, and having Ds1 home helped us be there for Ds2, b/c Ds1 could watch his sister while we went to court, visited Ds2 in jail, went to counseling, etc. That's not the best reason to keep one home, i.e. so that he can provide childcare, but that was a blessing that came from it.

Profmom,

The primary reason we continue to homeschool through high school is so that we (as parents) have the TIME and PURPOSE to pour into our kids as they continue to grow and mature. Fourteen and 15-year-olds are still kids! They really do still need loads of guidance, discipling and discipline. Now with three in high school, I am so very glad we made the decision to keep sowing into their lives. I know some great teens in public and private schools. But on the whole, home education gives the parent the quantity of time and circumstances in which to raise up that child to maturity. I just didn't see it happening as well in the hurried spaces between carpooling, homework and sports.

A close runner-up reason is so that we can choose HOW and WHAT they learn. And what they DON'T learn. Having homeschooled for 11 years, I've become very picky about how to educate! My kids might make it through classes with word-search homework pages and group poster projects . . . but I don't think I could sit by and watch it! Even worse would be piled-on homework that robs teens of life outside of school.

I like being able to major on the skills my child needs for the year. I like being able to spend more time on that writing assignment or re-doing those problems. I like being able to hand-select each book on the year's lit list -- books we didn't catch the first time around or books we want to read again because they're so good. (And while we're at it, I love the shared literary experiences we've built over the years). I like that my high schoolers still love a good read aloud. I like being able to sell the text that isn't working and add in one that will.

I like getting to experience the fruit of all those early years.

This is the last year I'll have all my kids under one roof. Ds1 will head out to college next year and I'm absolutely savoring our experiences this year. I cannot tell you the joy I'm having watching the future unfold for him. Yes, every parent invests in his/her child. But this is like the flowering of a seed planted way back, when that future was murky, that I nutured through my doubts and his bad days.

Other hits in our house: That we have lunch together. That we have Bible study and pray together every morning. That my kids take turns playing with or teaching the littles. That big sister can answer little brother's algebra question and I don't need to consult the TM. :001_smile:

You know, just this week, it hit me that my high schoolers spend most weekend nights with the family! They have lots of friends, but I haven't found that same drive to hang out and go out as soon as the weekend rolls around that my friends and I had in high school.

Well, you asked for what keeps me homeschooling through high school and I gave you the good list. Today was a good day. I can say hands-down that homeschooling through high school is not for the faint of heart. It is a lot of work. I've given up many a tv evening with my dh to grade a huge pile of papers. And on some days, I feel surrounded by adversaries. It is hard, hard work to teach one's own to work timely, work thoroughly and work for excellence. Every day.

But then. Who else would care enough to invest the time and energy to get your child to that level? So, in the end, that what keeps me drawn to homeschooling and finishing through the high school years.

HTH,

Lisa

Well, we JUST (two days ago) made this decision after about a year of deliberation. For us, it comes down to three things: quality, worldview, and relationship. We want higher quality instruction, we want to instill our values and not someone else's, and we want our dc to have a great relationship with their siblings and us, which takes time.

My son attended a Montessori school through sixth grade. He was less than enthusiastic about attending the local middle school for 7th. To be honest, I read the first edition of TWTM and started reading the boards while he was in 5th grade. It just seemed that we were homeschool material by our nature, if that makes any sense.

Friends of my son have told him that he does not want to be at the local public high school. They feel that academically it is lacking. The graduation rate for the local system is 70%. I knew that if my son were to attend the local public school, we would be afterschooling--and there would not be enough hours in the day to do what I would want to do! (I have a personal problem in that I dislike the way most high school math courses are taught. I knew that I would want to teach math "my way"--as well as assign Great Books that I think high schoolers should read.)

Flexibility is something that I also sought. Opportunities arise and I wanted to be able to take advantage. The limitations of the school day and assigned homework can prevent students from taking advantage of cultural programs, lectures, travel. I want a rich and fulfilling life--not just a busy one!

You have already had excellent responses - as usual for this thoughtful group - I'll add a little more.

I took my ds out of public school in middle school because he is incredibly bright, but .... And that was always the beginning of every parent-teacher conference I have ever had. He is incredibly bright, but he doesn't pay attention in class, seems bored, isn't interested in what we are doing, won't do his homework even though he knows how to do the work. They wouldn't put him in the gifted and talented program because he refused to do his assigned work. They assigned him extra books to read instead of requiring him to listen to lessons to keep him out of trouble. He just really never fit.

He went back to public school in high school because he wanted to go and his friends were there. I let him stay the full year but it was a huge mistake. Even in honors and AP classes, he was the one making trouble because he was bored.

When I took him out again, we really just spend most of the first two years reading and talking and being together. He is bright, imaginative, inquisitive, intellegent, and loves to read. We struggled with math and science and scheduling and motivation and writing and so many things, but it was all balanced by the joy of watching him make connections between his readings and listening to him formulate a good argument. And even just reading a difficult piece of literature aloud together was worth all the other time and trouble. Teenage years are tough. Teaching highschool is tough. Worrying that you have ruined your child's future is tough, but it is a joy to beable to have a deep discussion about history or literature or something with your teen. It beats the "How was your day?" "Fine." discussions that many people have with their kids.

One of my most enduring memories of homeschooling is watching my son holding his youngest sister while she slept and retelling Beowulf to his other sister. It is a priceless moment. That is the best reason to homeschool high school.

Even now, my son emails me his reading list every semester so that I can read the books he is reading so we can talk about them together. It has given us a bond that we continue to hold on to as life pulls him further away from home.

Well, we JUST (two days ago) made this decision after about a year of deliberation. For us, it comes down to three things: quality, worldview, and relationship. We want higher quality instruction, we want to instill our values and not someone else's, and we want our dc to have a great relationship with their siblings and us, which takes time.

Wonderful distillment and I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe this can be my new answer when we're asked about homeschooling. ;)

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

We chose to homeschool our youngest two sons through high school because we didn't homeschool our oldest son. If I could have one do-over in life, it would be to homeschool our oldest son too. For our younger sons, we wanted to have more time with them and to be the biggest influence in their lives during those turbulent years. Our experience with our oldest son in ps high school was all we needed to get us through any doubts we had as we homeschooled our younger sons all the way. I think it's the best parenting decision we ever made.

We chose to homeschool high school for the same reason we started homeschooling when my oldest was in 2nd grade. He is a very bright kid but is a square peg who just couldn't fit in any standard school setting. Rather than struggling to make him fit a classroom setting, we adapted home schooling to fit him.

Because of the flexibility in homeschooling he was able to work 10 hours a week at our church where he had a wonderful mentor and a worship director that allowed him to learn all about lighting design on her services. He was able to take lots of theater courses and be heavily involved on stage and off. I was able to tailor his courses to fit him -- framing 20th century American history around theater, studying the science of special effects for science. He was able to graduated a year early, is sought after by area community theaters to light their shows, and is starting an internship at the beginning of the year.

I am homeschooling high school with my youngest because he is a delight to homeschool. He is much more academic than his brother, would probably do well in school, but we enjoy reading together, discussing, doing math on the floor with the dog nearby. I'm glad he isn't in a traditional school because of the narrow focus they have on APs and the college admission rat race. He will still have SAT hoops to jump through, but his life is not centered around that the way as it is with his p.s. peers.

For us, it started as educational reasons for my son, but now as we go through highschool our reasons are mainly social. We have a good school nearby. However, there are still drugs there, and there is a culture of binge alcohol drinking throughout Australian highschools. My kids are both very extroverted and social creatures. Dh and I just prefer to help them mould their own lives rather than plonking them with a whole bunch of others who don't want to be there, and don't know anything else.

Also, it just seems like a waste of time to do the leaving exams here. You end up with a qualification that means you can get into university, but there are many other pathways. I am looking at a TAFE (CC) course that is a one year very practical course in mass communication, gives dd a Diploma in Journalism, and then if she chooses to go onto uni, she goes straight into 2nd year. It means she can have another year at home with me and we can tailor her course for her life.

I think we are not as constrained here by the "system" you have over in the U.S. There are many ways to get jobs other than university, although that has become ridiculously important and still doesnt guarantee work at the end of a 4 year degree. Here it's the tradesmen that make the big bucks nowadays. And in the IT industry I guess. Homeschooled kids can get into uni many ways, including just waiting a couple of years and going as mature age students. So that leaves us with more freedom to spend these maturing teenage years doing more than just studying.

So, for these subjects, what are you doing?

We have personally chosen Teaching Textbooks coupled with Barron's testing review books (when appropriate) for math and Apologia (Christian Content) for science - adding in reading Glencoe for Bio to get evolution in there. This year I might add Teaching Company Chemistry for my middle son to accompany Apologia - mainly because he's headed into medical research and I want to be sure he has as much as he can get from different points of view. He'll be AP testing those once completed with the Advanced level of both next year.

I don't actually 'teach' either at the high school level as I REALLY want my kids to be independent learners (many inspiring adults in history were - e.g. Edison, George Washington Carver, etc). I do grade and we discuss anything they got wrong or partially right. And, like the others, impromptu discussions are absolutely delightful -whether at home, in the car, or anywhere. My kids have learned (or are learning as is the case with my 8th grader) to think, to read, and to process info. If they don't understand, we have the internet and the library as well as mom & dad.

We also take advantage of huge amounts of educational TV on Dish Network - supplements for history, science, and occasional other subjects.

Public schooled students I see want to memorize, take the test, and forget so they can move on to something else. If they don't take a test immediately after they have studied for it they tell me they are unprepared... When I try to get them to think through HOW to get an answer based on something they should know they look at me like I'm crazy. It doesn't stop me from trying - and succeeding at times. If they can figure out how and why, they seldom forget. I should add that I just substitute teach in the math/science classes and only at the high school level (11 years now). I only want to work part time (2-3 days/week). They have offered full time jobs every year, but... part time fits me well. It also helps me see the level kids are at across the spectrum of our school in both subjects - and sometimes more.

One thing I have found in just 4 years of homeschooling is that the particular curriculum isn't all that important - many are good. Find one that fits your student and teach them how to learn... and to love learning. A few of the math programs come with video learning - there's nothing at all wrong with that... I've even chosen one of them.

My oldest is doing a community college English comp class this year. He has close to if not the highest grade in his class and is a delight to his teacher (who didn't realize he was a senior in high school until he asked her to complete his college recommendation letter). English is his weakest subject (as it was for me - and hubby), therefore we supplement with outside education, but not in high school itself.

Otherwise... it doesn't surprise me to hear other schools are similar to ours. In general my high school ranks in the 50 percentile range for our state and our state is in the middle of the states for rankings... Sadly, many should be just like it.

Simply prefer the lifestyle at this point, never give it a second thought.

;)

I think I am are on Year 16 here.....

Other than that, it is effective, efficient, flexible, really more lifestyle reasons than educational reason.

:seeya:

We made the decision to homeschool high school a few weeks ago. Our reasons:

1. Ds does not want to go to high school

2. Public high schools have a 50% graduation rate here

3. Private school runs $11,000-$15,000 per year

4. Community college is free in 10th grade

I embark on this endeavor with much hesitation. I do not feel qualified to teach any high school subject except math and maybe literature. I work 30hrs/wk (from home). Ds is not what I would call a self-motivated student. My hope is that with some online classes and community college, we can create something better than what public school has to offer and less expensive than private school.

It's good for me to hear about the discussions that teens have with their parents. With raging hormones on both sides here, tender moments are few and far between.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

My oldest dd attended public high school. That was enough to convince me.

Then...my 2nd dd started dealing with depression/anxiety. I gave her the choice to attend high school with the idea that getting out of the house might help her depression. Just asking her made her anxiety soar.

This year she is attending an early morning religion class at our church with other high school freshman (6:30am M-F). I don't think she's impressed with these kids in general. They talk over the teacher and they don't seem to be able to hold meaningful conversations. It has given her a taste of what high school classes would be like.

I'm thankful to be able to homeschool high school for this child. It has been a blessing for her to have the time for doctor's and counseling appointments while she struggles with the crazy changes that her body is going through.

(It's not so much that I'm doubting, but that I'm hearing more about school from friends who have chosen to put their kids into school. I need to balance that out with positives for homeschooling through high school.)

I meant to add this thread to my post. I found Jane in NC's post particularly helpful.

I needed to close my ears to everyone else's opinion and focus on what was right for ds. The only people who really need to be involved in this decision is ds, dh, and me.

HTH!

There is one advantage to homeschooling that I don't think has been listed yet. Shhhh, it's a secret! Public High School is a huge waste of time.:willy_nilly:

While the public school kids spend many hours a day at the school and plenty of additional hours on homework and test prep, home schooled kids are pursuing their interests.

My girls have participated in NaNoWriMo, volunteered at the library, worked as an attorney at Teen Court, run a small business, served on County and District 4H councils and put in tons of hours on the piano and at the stables (respectively).

I know public school kids can be do all this stuff too but it is soooo much easier when you home school. They have the time to try things, learn stuff that isn't on the SAT, earn dual enrollment credits and still sleep, have friends and see their families.:001_smile:

Rhetoric - late teens to early 20's, and beyond...it dawns on them that they're in this thing for the long haul. They realize learning is a neverending, exciting way of life. Those years of spiritual training begin to turn into solid discernment and they begin to learn how to express themselves with grace.

It's rewarding to be able to talk them through that time and develop an 'adult' relationship with them based more on mentoring.

I loved reading your whole post, Kathy, and esp. this part.

Great thread.

Sometimes I just need to hear and read things like this. Will you post your reasons, along with other advantages for homeschooling high school?

This could be a looong response-LOL.

First off, we just started homeschooling for the first time with our twins this year (9th graders). We are keeping our younger two (3rd and 5th graders) in public school for now.

Okay in nut shell here are our reasons:

--the high school we are zoned for is horrible in academics, discipline, and safety.

--we want/need flexibility in schedules. Dd studies Kung Fu and competes in martial art tournaments, she takes private music lessons for three instruments each week as she wants to major in music and needs a lot time each day to practice music and attend Kung Fu classes. She rather homeschool year round to get her academics done.

--at Ds's IEP meeting last May I was not impressed with the special education representative comments and it was so obvious she has no clue about 2E students, especially gifted students on autism spectrum (ds has Asperger Syndrome and is highly gifted with near genius in some academic areas).

--we were told that the school would have a difficult to near impossible time challenging Ds in math/science in the honors/AP classes while accommodating his special educational needs. The COMPASS scores show he could already take accelerated trigonometry-precalculus now as a 9th grader at CC. But he hasn't completed algebra 2 nor geometry yet so we are having him self study these this year to just make sure he doesn't miss anything important and then in fall he will take the accelerated precalc course and then start on the calculus sequences spring of 10th grade. And the CC says they can meet his special education accommodations.

--our kids want to go their own pace and focus more on their area of interests.

--dd wants to major in music and our school district offers very little in music other than the very basic level. She wants to take courses at the college.

--the twins want to work on their associates degree while in high school and to earn the degree by age 18.

--just way more options open for Ds and Dd by homeschooling them for high school.

It helps that neither of them are interested or impressed with the socialization experiences in public schools.

I am hoping to start homeschooling our younger two when they start 6th grade/middle school. 10yr old Ds is not excited about homeschooling as he is a very social kid and just loves to be around people. So I will have to make sure he participates in co-ops and get togethers with other homeschoolers.

Profmom,

Well, you asked for what keeps me homeschooling through high school and I gave you the good list. Today was a good day. I can say hands-down that homeschooling through high school is not for the faint of heart. It is a lot of work. I've given up many a tv evening with my dh to grade a huge pile of papers. And on some days, I feel surrounded by adversaries. It is hard, hard work to teach one's own to work timely, work thoroughly and work for excellence. Every day.

But then. Who else would care enough to invest the time and energy to get your child to that level? So, in the end, that what keeps me drawn to homeschooling and finishing through the high school years.

HTH,

Lisa

I didn't include the difficulties with homeschooling my high schoolers. Well the main issue is that they both been in public schools for 9 yrs and wow there is so much of unlearning they need to do!!!!! We struggle with getting everything done "on time" because they are still learning how to "learn". They are so used to being spoon fed the information that they don't know how to ask their own questions, to self solve how to find the answers. When they get stuck on something they immediately say they don't understand. They don't try to figure it out... they want the answer given to them with no effort on their part.

Just the other day we went to library for them to pick out books to read for their World History/Literature credit. They are studying ancient history and needed to pick out a non-fiction, a fiction, and a biography or autobiography that pertains to ancient history period. They were clueless to where to start!!!!!!!!!!!!! I showed them the list of books recommended in TWTM and also told them they could ask the youth librarian for assistance. They were so lost.... they looked like deers caught in headlights-LOL. They are so used to teachers telling them what to read that they don't know how to choose for themselves.

The other problem we are having is finding other high school homeschoolers. The twins would like to meet up with others their age just for "fun".

In fact, I have written it at various times. My biggest regret, one that far outweighs any others, is sending my oldest to high school. I will regret it until I die.

We homeschool for many positive reasons, as well as negative ones. I typed some of them out and then they suddenly disappeared (I hate touchpads) and now it is late. I'll get back later.

-Nan

Creekland and Night Elf hit on two of the main reasons that my younger dc will not attend the ps near my home. There is too much time wasted, I know this for a fact as my oldest went there for four years, and the good classes are really for teachers and administrator's kids. You have to really go in in person and throw a fit to get your child into Honors English, for example. I don't have the energy for this for two more kids, and they don't want to.

I just finished doing my NARHS things for the last school year, and I am stunned at how much he covered, how much he did, and he just turned 14. I have been shocked at the things I forgot to log and include. I probably blew 3 full high school credits for things he did with my poor record keeping, but he should still get 9.5 credits.

We have a lot of gaps. We missed some things that break my heart. I meant for him to be able to pursue many more of his own interests. But that didn't happen, and I don't see that time coming up. He hated Don Quixote. A lot. He didn't read nearly as many classical books as I think he should have. But he's read way more than dd did in four years of ps. I know his composition skills should be better, and we're working on it this year.

But it is still worth it, because I am catching glimpses of the man he is becoming, and I'm excited that I have been a real part of that process.