Menu

I talked to my teenagers about birth control this week.

When Dh and I were both out of college, he wanted to look for a job in the town where I lived, so I told him that he could sleep on our floor while he was interviewing. His mother objected that it gave the appearance of evil. It is really the only time I can remember his getting mad at her. He told his mother, "You never talked to me about sex, and neither did the church, so your chance for influencing me is long over."

I mentioned before that we are such weirdos that our first kiss was at our wedding, but that is just how we wanted things. kit wasn't in response to anything we had been taught.

I feel like my teenagers are not in any danger of dating, or having sex, but I never want them to blame me for not discussing it with them.

I talked to them separately, of course, but I started out saying that I find them very thoughtful, and not swayed by emotion. I think they have very good judgment and self control. While their dad and I prefer not to use birth control, there are some very real problems with becoming a teenage parent.

I told them 2 other adults that I had given permission to get birth control for them if they ever need it, and are uncomfortable coming to us about it.

My son thanked me for my consideration. My 15 year old said, "I hope you know how stupid this conversation is. The answer is pretty easy. Don't ever put yourself in that situation." I told her she was right, but sometimes you realize too late that you are in that kind of situation. She said, "Then carry a gun....and a whole lot of extra ammunition....and make sure you are a really good shot!"

I think her dad will be happy with her solution.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Well bless her little practical heart.

:lol:

Amy, I would take tips from you and your DH on raising daughters. :lol:

I told her she was right, but sometimes you realize too late that you are in that kind of situation. She said, "Then carry a gun....and a whole lot of extra ammunition....and make sure you are a really good shot!"

I think her dad will be happy with her solution.

My dh would be happy with that answer. ;)

This reminds me, I need to have this conversation as well. In another year my oldest will be driving around unsupervised!

I told them 2 other adults that I had given permission to get birth control for them if they ever need it, and are uncomfortable coming to us about it.

My son thanked me for my consideration.

Perhaps I am asking for tmi - please let me know. When you spoke with your son, how did you discuss the possibility of having a condom available. Is this included in the other adults having permission to get birth control for him?

I have been concerned about this very topic - not about explaining the how's of getting pregnant, but the possibility of him (in a few years since he's still quite young) getting into a situation he can not handle, and ending up getting a girl pregnant because they couldn't stop.

I argue with myself - to provide a condom for birth control gives the appearance of approval; not providing it seems to be asking for trouble in today's culture.

I have a few years to go before this will be an issue, but I'd like to hear how other mother's of sons deal with this. Abstinance is what we teach, but it isn't always what a teen can actually do.

I have been surprised at how enthusiastic dh has been about dd's participation in 4-H shooting sports (so far archery and rifle). Then I learned that it is part of his master plan that he will have photos of her shooting in each room of the house, and point them out to would-be suitors.:glare:

However silly it sounds, I do think it would be somewhat of a deterrent to any young man with ill intent to see that not only could his date's father shoot, but that she and her mother are both well versed in the ballistic arts!

I expect dh will be pleased as punch when dd and I start our martial arts class after the first of next year. I expect more action portraits to follow...

I have been surprised at how enthusiastic dh has been about dd's participation in 4-H shooting sports (so far archery and rifle). Then I learned that it is part of his master plan that he will have photos of her shooting in each room of the house, and point them out to would-be suitors.:glare:

However silly it sounds, I do think it would be somewhat of a deterrent to any young man with ill intent to see that not only could his date's father shoot, but that she and her mother are both well versed in the ballistic arts!

I expect dh will be pleased as punch when dd and I start our martial arts class after the first of next year. I expect more action portraits to follow...

:lol::lol::lol: Love it!!!

Right now, the plan is to keep them out of sticky situations by providing lots of supervision. When the day comes that there is not supervision, I will probably put a box of condoms in my bathroom closet, and let my son know where they are (and my daughter, when she gets older, too). I am imagining he will be around 17 or 18 when there is less supervision, though, and we will not be advocating dating until 18 or later.