Menu

Has anyone used Beautiful Feet for highschool?

The books are great and my dd is learning lots. I'm not too excited about the guide that comes with it. I'm using it a little but mostly we talk about and write about the books. Getting library books when necessary for reports and things.

I would do it this way again because my dd loves to read real books and not textbooks.

Sorry I can't compare it to Sonlight as we have never used that.

My older dd used most of Ancients. By the end, it was too much reading for her, and too little gleaned.

But the part she did went well if, as the pp stated, you add discussion and notebooking. My dd's notebook from the ancients is awesome. And I think it was essential for "getting something" out of the books. It caused her to think, to absorb, to sift, and to prioritize. The BF notebooking instructions are very brief. We created a complete chronological history notebook. We added more Biblical history (used Greenleaf guide & notebook pages). It was like creating her own textbook, and much more fun to re-read.

Another family in our area saw her notebook & they used BF for several years after that. They were very happy. They had a son and his notebook took totally different directions than my dd's, but it also was awesome.

So my suggestion is a repeat -- add to the notebook idea!

Julie

The books are great and my dd is learning lots. I'm not too excited about the guide that comes with it. I'm using it a little but mostly we talk about and write about the books. Getting library books when necessary for reports and things.

I would do it this way again because my dd loves to read real books and not textbooks.

Sorry I can't compare it to Sonlight as we have never used that.

Are the answers to the questions provided in the guides?

So I take it, Sonlight would be too overwhelming for a child who does not like to read, by her own admission???

Well, dd used BF ancients and it got to be too much by the end of the year (there wasn't as much ancient literature for the earlier part, since there just isn't as much out there).

We used Sonlight for her American History but yes, that was overwhelming as written, even though it was probably not written for high school. (It was called level 100 then??) I basically used their Hakim schedule, and reading 10 books of history was enough. The other books were often unnecessary (Dear Mr. Henshaw type books) or zoomed through too fast to really call a "literature study," so we did other lit and added non-reading things for history (the Hakim guide books and tests, etc).

I must have tried everything with my dd, who admittedly is a slow reader. Everything has some good in it. But I'm looking forward to using MFW with my youngest and spending less time adjusting. I'm also into audiobooks of late, after gradually trying more of them and then hearing Mr. Stobaugh speak well of them. (Not sure if they would have helped dd, but ds definitely retains what he hears.)

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

ONe last question... Do the highschool BF guides have daily or weekly lesson plans, questions, writing assignments, etc...hopefully with answers?

I'll guess i'll have to call them tomorrow, on another board someone is saying the highschool American History has no schedule, questions etc...you basically are given books and are supposed to read them

"confused"!!!!!!!!!!

ONe last question... Do the highschool BF guides have daily or weekly lesson plans, questions, writing assignments, etc...hopefully with answers?

I'll guess i'll have to call them tomorrow, on another board someone is saying the highschool American History has no schedule, questions etc...you basically are given books and are supposed to read them

"confused"!!!!!!!!!!

You can see sample assignment pages here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=78314&item_code=WW&netp_id=214204&event=ESRCN&view=covers#curr

There are answers in the back but it's not a long list. For the whole year there are only a few pages of answers. The majority is assignments like writing and notebooking, for you to evaluate whether they've absorbed the important points. There are samples of the answer key amongst the sample pages here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=78317&item_code=WW&netp_id=214207&event=ESRCN&view=covers#curr

Hewitt has a syllabus that probably has more of a schedule, but probably not answers since their syllabi (sp?) are designed for those who sign up to study through them.

BF was written back when homeschooling wasn't as spoon fed as some of us are enjoying today :) Also, it's very inexpensive, because it isn't a gigantic text to read on top of the literature selections. I really think you need to commit to the notebooking, the essays, or some other method of working with the material, in order to really glean all of history from reading a select few pieces of literature and such. JMHO.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

You can see sample assignment pages here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=78314&item_code=WW&netp_id=214204&event=ESRCN&view=covers#curr

There are answers in the back but it's not a long list. For the whole year there are only a few pages of answers. The majority is assignments like writing and notebooking, for you to evaluate whether they've absorbed the important points. There are samples of the answer key amongst the sample pages here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=78317&item_code=WW&netp_id=214207&event=ESRCN&view=covers#curr

Hewitt has a syllabus that probably has more of a schedule, but probably not answers since their syllabi (sp?) are designed for those who sign up to study through them.

BF was written back when homeschooling wasn't as spoon fed as some of us are enjoying today :) Also, it's very inexpensive, because it isn't a gigantic text to read on top of the literature selections. I really think you need to commit to the notebooking, the essays, or some other method of working with the material, in order to really glean all of history from reading a select few pieces of literature and such. JMHO.

Julie

Thanks, yes, I agree that we are enjoying being "spoon fed" LOL I love that analogy! That is why I'm afraid if I get it, I may wish I had used Sonlight instead and just picked and chosen some of the books. I have learned with SL that it's "okay" NOT to read everything!

Julie

I checked with Hewitt and their BF Syllabus is not helpful to anyone but those taking their class. There is no schedule. There World History syllabus does have a schedule, writing assignments, and project ideas.

Thanks, yes, I agree that we are enjoying being "spoon fed" LOL I love that analogy! That is why I'm afraid if I get it, I may wish I had used Sonlight instead and just picked and chosen some of the books. I have learned with SL that it's "okay" NOT to read everything!

I am using BF over a 2 year period for World History and another 2 years for American History. So far I think the guides are wonderful as far as short answer, essay, and discussion questions. They really make you think and analyze what you are reading.

My biggest issue is the lack of a weekly or daily schedule. Essays pop up on me by suprise and I'm not always sure how long to give to finish and if we should be moving on to the next lesson while doing it. Therefore I'm creating my own schedule.

I am using BF over a 2 year period for World History and another 2 years for American History. So far I think the guides are wonderful as far as short answer, essay, and discussion questions. They really make you think and analyze what you are reading.

My biggest issue is the lack of a weekly or daily schedule. Essays pop up on me by suprise and I'm not always sure how long to give to finish and if we should be moving on to the next lesson while doing it. Therefore I'm creating my own schedule.

Jennifer, Do the guides give answers for all the questions? I guess this is my main issue.