Menu

s/o from Library Use - Library Fees and Attitudes?

Our library doesn't have overdue fees. How great is that!!!????

I've lived in places that charged high fees for overdues with no limits. Other places had reasonable fees with reasonable limits. I've even had one library that didn't charge overdue fees but charged daily rental on any book that was less than a year old. I hadn't realized there were so many differences in the way libraries were run until we started moving. What kind of fees does your library charge?

I've been to libraries where they reluctantly and begrudgingly allow books to be borrowed. I've been to libraries where they seemed put out by anyone that asked questions or needed assistance. I remember as a child being afraid to go to the library because the librarians were not happy ladies. Currently, my librarians offer to help me carry my boxes of books to the car and are thrilled when they see there are more hold requests on my card. How is the customer service at your library?

Our library doesn't have overdue fees. How great is that!!!????

I've lived in places that charged high fees for over dues with no limits. Other places had reasonable fees with reasonable limits. I've even had one library that didn't charge overdue fees but charged daily rental on any book that was less than a year old. I hadn't realized there were so many differences in the way libraries were run until we started moving. What kind of fees does your library charge?

I've been to libraries where they reluctantly and begrudgingly allow books to be borrowed. I've been to libraries where they seemed put out by anyone that asked questions or needed assistance. I remember as a child being afraid to go to the library because the librarians were not happy ladies. Currently, my librarians offer to help me carry my boxes of books to the car and are thrilled when they see there are more hold requests on my card. How is the customer service at your library?

Sorry about your experiences. :(

We have amazing libraries here.

Huge book collections, with free inter-library loan.

Phenomenal librarians who know the kids interests and actually read the books themselves so they can give great advice on picking books.

High limits on checkouts, with no fees or fines for overdue books.

They Encourage us to borrow lots of books.

They will forgive a periodic lost book unless it is a high demand volume.

They help you like you are buying items from them and they have a vested interest in your business.

Great websites with online account services.

No fees for holds. No limits for holds.

I could go on and on :0)

I belong to two systems, the one from our old area is great, super helpful and so easy to use. The staff are really friendly and go out of their way to help you in any way they can. Requests are free and filled quickly. Overdue charges are 30c/day per item which is pretty ouchy so I aim to get books back on time. If I loose a book they offer to put it on "claims returned" so it waives the overdue fees and gives me more time to look for it. Loans are 3 weeks with 2 renewals. They email 3 days before the books are due, and when they are a week overdue to remind you to return them. So I still drive 40 mins each way to visit that library at least fortnightly.

The one from our new area has miserable and unhelpful staff and can't be bothered finding books I request. They have a limit of 20 items per card, and as I like to keep all items on one card for easy tracing it just didn't work. So I still go to the one in the old area. Loans are 4 weeks with one renewal available. They charge 15c/day for overdue books but dont email reminders at all. They have a once yearly amnesty to return overdues and I have two waiting for the next one, I won't be using the system until then, and probably not even then.

Great libraries here in Fairfax County. You can return a book anywhere. There are no fees for holds or for getting a book transfered to your local branch from another one. Books can be checked out for 3 weeks, unless it's a brand new bestseller type--then you have a week to 14 days, depending. It's 25 cents a day fine for overdue adult books, 10 cents for kids, and $1 for videos. YOu can renew on line, even if the book is overdue. Your card is blocked if you have $15 or more in fines, but they let you pay it a little at a time. We have 5 libraries within 20 minutes of here, and each is great! They are starting to charge a little more for ILL now, tho. The people are very helpful--they actually GET UP and help you find things! lol