Menu

Low Estrogen levels and pre-period moodswings...

Ok, about a week before I'm due to get my period I get VERY, VERY moody. To the point of crying at one thing and a few minutes later being VERY on edge or yelling about something (usually something stupid).

A few months ago, I went to the Dr. to have a physical/bloodwork done. My estrogen levels are low and the Dr. thinks that's what accounts for my moodswings before my period. Her solution was BC pills. I don't want to go that route. I would like something natural. I've heard of progestorone but don't even know where to look for it. I'm afraid to get it off the internet because I've read sometimes you really don't know if it safe off here.

Can someone help me out here?? I need to do something and the Natural "dr." here in town that many ppl like costs way too much for our budget.

:confused:Help please??

Look in the yellow page for a pharmacy that is a "compounding" pharmacy. Stop in or call and ask for a list of doctors that they recommend. Then go to that doctor. He or she can guide you.

You could use a natural progesterone cream on your own, too. You rub in into your skin (lower arms, chest, etc.) on certain days of the month. Arbonne sells it and has instructions.

But a doctor that understands this is good, too.

you must read the book:

"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About: Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty" by John R. Lee

and then this book:

Feeling Fat, Fuzzy, or Frazzled?: A 3-Step Program to: Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, Beat Hormone Havoc, and Feel Better Fast! by Richard Shames and Karilee Shames

Then, you can have saliva testing done through this site for a cheaper price:

www.canaryclub.org

The test comes to your home and you do it (at a certain time of your cycle) and send it back in the prepaid envelope and then they send the results back to you. More than likely, you need progesterone, not estrogen (especially if you are getting your period every month). Also, PMS is usually lack of progesterone-along with sore breasts, cramping, and lower pain tolerance(headache, backache, etc.) But I would test first before going on it-and it needs to be saliva, not blood. Saliva measures the amount of hormone that is currently available. In blood, it is bound to other things so it may not be accessible to be used. Progestrone can be bought online at places like www.iherb.com, or instore at Vitamin Shoppe. The books that I mentioned will list certain brands to use as you want a potent one. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon since more people are turning to bioidenticals now.

I hope that this info helps you. I myself have had messed up hormones after childbirth and have needed them periodically to get everything in balance. I still use Progesterone. I use this one in particular-and it doesnt have parabens in it either (if that matters to you). Paraben-Free Pro-Gest® 2 oz.

http://www.emerita.com/index.cfm/category/4/perimenopause.cfm

I am reading this thread with great interest. I have sure learned a lot of "women 101" since skipping my period this month for the first time EVER in my life without being pregnant.(i will be 42 in a few weeks)

I get confused. Is NOT getting your period a lack of Estrogen, Progesterone, or Testosterone?? Geesh those confuse me. I don't think I will ever get those right. I also get very moody and crampy when I did get my periods on time.

This test you are talking about. Can't you get the same hormone test done at the lab for free, and have your insurance pay for it? Or is this a better test?

I love learning about natural remedies.

I will be reading this thread closely :)

I would love to get this done. I went to that website and I sure have alot of those symtpoms. I would have no idea *how* to get my insurance to pay for this though. I think I would have to get a blood draw at the GYN's office to test for all of this.

But I can print it out and show it to him.

Thanks!

the blood test isnt the same as the saliva test. When you order the saliva test from the site, they send you the form to send to your insurance company to try to get reimbursement. Or, if you have a flex account, this qualifies as a medical expense if you use your flex account. The tests are a lot cheaper than blood tests anyway, so most people just pay for them out of pocket instead of going to a doctor as any natural doc would charge a lot more just for the visit. Initially, you would only need to test the sex hormones-but if you had the money, you could test adrenal and thyroid as well through that company too. HTH.

the blood test isnt the same as the saliva test. When you order the saliva test from the site, they send you the form to send to your insurance company to try to get reimbursement. Or, if you have a flex account, this qualifies as a medical expense if you use your flex account. The tests are a lot cheaper than blood tests anyway, so most people just pay for them out of pocket instead of going to a doctor as any natural doc would charge a lot more just for the visit. Initially, you would only need to test the sex hormones-but if you had the money, you could test adrenal and thyroid as well through that company too. HTH.

Unfortuantely, my insurance would not cover this. But my insurance does cover the lab work. If I had the money I would do this, but I don't :-(

So I guess I wait a few weeks until I see GYN if period doesn't come to get the full work up.

I am glad you metioned that site though, becuase I can print it out and give it to him.

I'm usually just a lurker, but wanted to share that I had rock bottom estrogen levels (at age 34) and horrible pms. My progesterone levels were normal. Prior to testing, my doctor was hounding me to try progesterone. I'm so glad I tested first! Progesterone would likely have made my problems worse. Low estrogen levels seem to be greatly misunderstood and misdiagnosed by both holistic practitioners and doctors.

For me, the low estrogen levels were actually from some other medications that I was taking (which was affecting my pituitary gland), but depending on your age, you could be in pre-menopause. Some women benefit from natural estrogen supplementation at such a point, others from herbs, diet changes etc. Woman to Woman is a great website for information.

Sarah