Menu

X-Post: Where do you do chemistry?

swimmermom3

For those of you who are currently playing with corrosive chemicals, where do you do chemistry? Our chemistry book says not to do experiments in the kitchen or dining room. However, I need a heat-resistant surface, a sink, and good ventilation. That's exactly what's in my kitchen. I have a large island, free of obstructions. I make sure the counters and sink are clear and I wipe everything down afterwords.

Side note: I did have an enthusiastic 20yo male clerk at Walgreen's ask me if I needed an extra chemistry student. I'd like to think it is my stunning good looks. However, it was more likely my purchase of ethyl alcohol, rubber gloves, and a fire extinguisher.

Extra side note: I don't suppose the same area would work for dissections at the end of the year?

We do ours on the kitchen island as well. If we're using something that I'm concerned about health issues from spillage, I have been using a very large, wood cutting board under the experiments (I don't use this cutting board for food because the thing is impossible to wash without frustration). My plan was to go to Home Depot and purchase a spare piece of countertop that they often sell at discounted prices and use that on top of the island during science experiments, but I haven't been able to find the time to go yet. :glare: I plan to just store it in the garage and bring it out as necessary. Thankfully, the big wooden board has been a suitable substitute thus far.

I stay as far away from experiments as possible (see them as a necessary evil). My kids do them in the kitchen usually, but my dd did her Adv Chem ones in her bathroom. It was quite funny - my husband would complain at the state of her bathroom - and she would respond that she couldn't clean it as she was doing experiments there (she always seemed to have something becoming something else in some container!)

Meryl