Menu

Exercise without a gym membership

My gym membership is going to be expiring at the end of the year, and I cannot afford to renew. So I'm trying to think and plan ahead. So, those of you who exercise without the benefit of a gym membership, please tell me about what you do.

I guess the biggest factor is staying accountable and sticking with it. With a gym membership that I am paying for, I'm motivated to use it. How do I keep up this motivation at home, when it's easier to see all the other things that need to be done (the mountain of laundry, etc.)? Do you use a certain plan or routine?

Does anyone have any feedback with Jillian Michaels' online program? Or http://www.simplefit.org ? Or anything else?

Thanks!

We have an indoor spinning bike. I don't know if purchasing a piece of equipment is possible for you, but if so, consider a spinner (not a standard exercise bike). They are built like tanks, and recently I've been seeing them pop up on Craig's List. We have a Schwinn IC Pro. We bought it new 5 years ago. I believe the warranty is 30 YEARS!!

We have it set up in our office, so I turn on the computer, pull up a show on Hulu.com and watch while I ride, or else read a book, or use a spinning DVD like "Spinervals" (which is a guided workout, just like being in a class; REALLY challenging).

Good luck, and don't give up!!!!

We have an indoor spinning bike. I don't know if purchasing a piece of equipment is possible for you, but if so, consider a spinner (not a standard exercise bike). They are built like tanks, and recently I've been seeing them pop up on Craig's List. We have a Schwinn IC Pro. We bought it new 5 years ago. I believe the warranty is 30 YEARS!!

My first thought was no, can't afford it. BUT if they are really that sturdy and I could find one used, might be able to talk hubby into it! Thanks for mentioning this. :001_smile:

ETA: We do have a complete set of weights, a bench, and a bar for pull-ups/chin-ups. The only cardio equipment we have is a rowing machine, which my dh loves and I detest. It's too much upper-body for me. A treadmill or a spinner would be more my style.

Edited by GretaLynne

We bought a Bowflex over 10 years ago and still use it!

ETA: They are expensive, but with the payment plan, it could be less per month than a gym membership... and then you own it.

Just saw that you have a full weight set, though... probably don't need a Bowflex, then! If you wanted to do a circuit type workout, you could intersperse weight lifting sets with 30-60 seconds of intense jogging in place, step box, jump rope, or hula hoop...?

That's what I do, with the Bowflex. 12 reps of weights, then a burst of cardio, 12 more reps of weights, burst of cardio... etc...

Edited by Mekanamom

I've never had a gym membership. I was just thinking about getting a short term membership at a gym with a pool for the cold winter months.

I walk...usually outside because I NEED fresh air and sunshine. When the weather is nasty or just plain cold, I have an exercise bike. Mine's a Schwinn Airdyne that is now 19 years old. Still in perfect condition. I love it. The timer and the reading rack are well worth adding.

I have an stability ball and some hand weights I like to use for a few exercises.

Accountability....

my mental health and my physical conditioning depend on getting exercise, so I do it. I prefer not to have a walking buddy (except dh when he is home) because I like to be quiet and think while I walk.

It's a little like homeschooling to me... it just NEEDS to be done, so I do it. By the way, that is NOT my philosophy when it comes to cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry. :D

If you wanted to do a circuit type workout, you could intersperse weight lifting sets with 30-60 seconds of intense jogging in place, step box, jump rope, or hula hoop...?

That's what I do, with the Bowflex. 12 reps of weights, then a burst of cardio, 12 more reps of weights, burst of cardio... etc...

Ooh, that's a good idea. I do much better with a shorter, intense workout than a long, repetitive one. This sounds very efficient.

I walk...usually outside because I NEED fresh air and sunshine.

I love exercising outdoors . . . in theory. ;) In reality, I can't walk with my dd because she goes too slow and complains too much. Hubby works so late that evenings are out. I'm not much of a morning person, especially in the winter months when it's dark and cold outside. You can see that basically I am a total wimp! I need to find a routine that's so easy to fit into my life, that I can't come up with excuses not to! But I'm pretty good at excuses, so it could be a problem. :D

Accountability....

my mental health and my physical conditioning depend on getting exercise, so I do it.

That is such a good way to look at it - just a fact of life. I have a back injury that still causes me problems. If I don't take care of myself, I could be in real trouble as I age. That should be sufficient motivation!

It's a little like homeschooling to me... it just NEEDS to be done, so I do it. By the way, that is NOT my philosophy when it comes to cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry. :D

:lol:

For weight training I follow Body for Life which you can do at home. You can get their book at the library or check out their website, (I think the book format is easier to understand). For cardio you could walk/run.

FYI - this is a great time to negotiate with a health club. Our nicest health club in town, which is typically $89 per month + signing fees, just gave me a month to month membership for $28 with no fees. They even threw in a free $100 credit at their spa. Their family membership normally runs $160 and at one point in the negotiations they offered me a family membership for $70.

This is a really good idea - I just googled 'circuit workouts at home" and a bunch of things came up that looked useful.

And then you could start saving some $$ for a treadmill or bike or whatever that you could look for on ebay or Craig's List. I like Craig's List b/c you can actually try out the item before you buy it.

Anne

I just started using http://www.sparkpeople.com which is FREE and provides you with day-to-day strength training exercises and meal plans. That's what I'm doing to help me with accountability because you can join teams, challenges, etc.

We have a weight set/bench, resistance bands, and ab lounger that I use. If you have Netflix, they have a lot of fitness videos that you can access instantly, that's what I've been using lately, I can do different ones without getting bored and can watch as many as I want with our regular monthly membership.

I tried Jillian's online program for a few months, it was challenging, but didn't feel I used it enough to justify the cost per month.

I have been working out 5 days a week since June with no gym membership. I started out just walking and strength training using a plan that I set up using Sparkpeople that a pp mentioned.

Now, I use Leslie Sansone DVDs 5 days per week. I have 3 different DVDs. I get a much better workout using the DVDs and the weight has been seriously dropping.

Jennie

If you are looking for at home workouts that don't take too much time, try googling "Holly Rigsby". She is a fitness trainer who specifically works with moms for them to lose at home and you only will need 90 mins a week. Lots of bodyweight workouts, intervals and the CLUBFYM boards are so helpful. PM me if you have any questions.

If you like exercising outdoors, you could always get a jump rope. They're pretty cheap and really get your heart pumping. (If your body can handle it. It can be too much impact for some people.)

Ask around for old exercise equipment. We got our most recent treadmill for free (after the old one died). We were offered two treadmills, and just took the one. A lot of people buy this equipment and don't use it and are willing to give it away to a friend, or sell it cheap. This treadmill doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles or digital displays, but the belt moves and the speed and incline adjusts...and that's all you really need.

As far as motivation...I think that's different for each person. I'm really good about getting in a half hour on the treadmill each day, but I watch tv on a projector while I walk on it. I love, love, love watching movies, so I tape them off of tv and then look forward to being able to watch them. I only watch the movies it I'm on the treadmill, so that's my motivation.

But I'm pretty good at excuses, so it could be a problem. :D

That is such a good way to look at it - just a fact of life. I have a back injury that still causes me problems. If I don't take care of myself, I could be in real trouble as I age. That should be sufficient motivation!

:lol:

Back in my dog showing days, I ran into a gal outside the obedience ring with an interesting outlook. No Excuses. You see, outside the ring handlers will often say, my dog seems off today or we haven't work on such and so exercise much. Basically they were giving themselves a reason to fail. This gal I talked to said her theory was if they were good enough to show up, they were good to go. If she and her dog didn't do well it's probably because she and her dog needed more work. I think it's called taking responsibility--a foreign concept to my oldest son. :D

Anyway, I've tried to absorb that philosophy into many things I do.

Try writing that on a post it note and sticking it to the fridge for a month. At the end of the month, you will probably see a difference in your decisions. I know I have when I've posted it.

I agree about your back. I led a rough and tumble life as a younger person. If I don't stretch and exercise my body begins to seize up. I do not want to be in my 70s and having to hobble from one part of the house to another. I want to be hiking some cool trail in a wilderness area with my grandchildren.

One more thing...there's a lady in my neighborhood with triplets. Cute little things, two boys and a girl. I see them because she pulls them around the neighborhood in wagons all strung together like a catapillar. It's cute, every body gets fresh air and she gets a walk in.

Keep thinking. You'll come up with some solution.

I keep motivated by reminding myself that health is a high priority. No exercise means poor health. I can look around the neighborhood and extended family and see the long term consequences of the daily decision to keep fit or not. Gym costs are very high here so I haven't joined. I have a friend who wants to walk, so we get out. The high school here allows community use of the pool in the evenings for a small fee, so lap swimming and any water aerobics class they offer is an option. If the weather is bad I catch up on videos (hulu, dvd) while doing step aerobics.

I have the Walk at Home video for 3 miles and love it. I am getting results. I also use a bike and some hand weights. My dh and I work out 3 times a week. And weekends we do something else or we do another workout.

once I got started I don't want to miss!

craigslist always has cheap used stuff people stopped using ;-)

My daughters and I use the Leslie Sansone DVDs as part of our morning school routine. As for a gym membership, check your local recreation centers. In our area, two of the rec centers have workout areas and classes. The price for a membership to use the workout area is $25.00/ year here.

Ann

This is fantastic -- thank you all for these great suggestions! I am very excited about it now! I will be investigating all of the great resources that you ladies have mentioned here over the next couple of months, so that I have a plan in place and ready to go when my gym membership expires.

I also got some further motivation yesterday. I attended an informational seminar for spouses and family of my husband's employer that was all about the new health care plan they are switching to. They are really stressing preventive care and basically giving a financial reward for taking advantage of it. But we will have to pay more out-of-pocket when we do get sick. Of course our health is and should be more important than our financial comfort, but still $$ can provide a pretty powerful motivation!