Menu

Melatonin for children with sleep issues?

My dr suggested giving baby girl 1 to 3mg of melatonin for her sleep issues and feels that a few nights in a row of good sleep will set a more health pattern for her.

Anyone have any experience with giving this to children. I trust my dr but just curious of others experiences.

My dr suggested giving baby girl 1 to 3mg of melatonin for her sleep issues and feels that a few nights in a row of good sleep will set a more health pattern for her.

Anyone have any experience with giving this to children. I trust my dr but just curious of others experiences.

I think you may very well be able to get by with a smaller dose - both my 8 and 10 1/2 year old take 500mcg and that still seems to work fine for them.

Seriously, we use crumbs. I have 3 mg tablets that I chop with a pill splitter into tiny pieces, probably about 30 from a single tablet. It's enough to do the trick with my kids. Before we started doing this, they would routinely stay up past 10; now they are asleep by 8:30. Maybe it's placebo effect, but that's not so bad, right?

When I was having a sleep issue a few years ago, my MIL suggested Calms Forte by Hyland's Homeopathic. They worked wonders. They do have a children's formula called Calms Forte 4 Kids formulated for children 2 and up (I know you have a baby...but they might help someone else reading this thread...is that hijack? I'm sorry if it is!). I don't believe they have melatonin in them, but thought I'd throw them into the mix.

When I need it, I take 1/2 mg. My kids take 1mg when they are having trouble falling asleep, but take the 3mg time-release when they are having trouble staying asleep.

It's rare for any of us to need to take melatonin more than 3-4 nights in a row. The 100 count 1mg bottle usually lasts 2 years. We haven't yet finished the 100 count 3mg time-release bottle that we've had for 3 years.

GNC's 1mg melatonin is sublingual. You don't have to swallow it. You can either chew it or let it melt in your mouth. You can chop it up if you need it. If I take a full 1mg tablet, I'm still groggy in the morning. I usually have to take lower doses than normal of all medications because they all cause a much stronger reaction than they're supposed to for me.