Menu

How many have read the Duggars' book?

What did you think of it? Were you inspired? Did you get any great ideas from it? Is it worth buying?

FWIW, I really enjoy the Duggars. They certainly do things I wouldn't necessarily choose for my family, but I LOVE to watch and enjoy their huge brood!! I always find them inspiring. So, should I buy the book?

It was pretty much a collection of everything I had heard before via the TV show (back when we had TV 2 years ago) and some online clips and articles. Glad I only borrowed it from the library and didn't buy it. My 12yo dd enjoyed it more than I did.

Yes, buy the book!!

I really enjoyed reading it and I think it explains many things that I haven't seen addressed on their show. I find them inspiring, too. Michelle has the patience of a saint.

We have made several of their recipes that are now in our dinner rotation ( Hash Brown Casserole, Tater Tot Casserole) and I have been using their recipe for laundry soap. I have a large family and laundry soap really adds up. This homemade soap seems to be working really well which actually surprised me; I didn't expect it to work as well as regular laundry soap.

I think you'll be glad you bought it!

I don't think I really learned anything but I liked the book very much. It just talks about their lives, where they came from, etc. I don't think it was meant to be a book about educating others on how to do things as much as a book about how *they* do things. Make sense?

I just have to say how pleased I am that you wrote the plural possessive name right: Duggars'. Not Duggar's. Please. Even though the Duggars themselves put "Duggar's" on their own web site.:001_huh:

I thought their last name was 'Duggar', not 'Duggars'. :confused:

Didn't know they had a book.

I keep expecting that some day there'll be a scandal revealed of some sort. Not that I'm hoping for one. Their life just seems to good to be true at times.

I really feel like asking Michelle if she ever yells at her kids.

I highly doubt it.

I thought their last name was 'Duggar', not 'Duggars'. :confused:

It *is* Duggar. "Michele Duggar has written a book."

Singular possesive would be Duggar's. "Have you read Michelle Duggar's new book?"

Plural would be Duggars. "The Duggers have written a new book." It would NOT be "The Duggar's have written a new book." (or even "Duggars'", as in "The Duggars' have written a new book."). The Duggars (that is, the whole group of them) have "Duggar's" on their Web site, instead of "Duggars."

Plural possessive would be Duggars'. "Have you read the Duggars' new book?" It would NOT be Duggar's.

In the book they do talk about dealing with anger.

I have noticed moms of large families tend to be more patient with some things than I am. I think maybe they have seen it all and less phases them or upsets them.

She is never alone. She *never* has to deal with kids on her own. She never cooks for those children, even. The teens peel foil off containers that they heat. That is not exactly 'normal'. Smart, but not 'normal'.

I think she is sweet and cute and all that, but she never has to drive kids around, feed them, think of snacks to take in the car while she takes one or more to the Drs or ballet etc. Even the violin teacher comes to the house. Michelle is one smart cookie. She has less work to do with 18 kids than I have with 4.

She is never alone. She *never* has to deal with kids on her own. She never cooks for those children, even. The teens peel foil off containers that they heat. That is not exactly 'normal'. Smart, but not 'normal'.

I think she is sweet and cute and all that, but she never has to drive kids around, feed them, think of snacks to take in the car while she takes one or more to the Drs or ballet etc. Even the violin teacher comes to the house. Michelle is one smart cookie. She has less work to do with 18 kids than I have with 4.

I noticed that too. It's a very nonmodern way of living, huh? Families used to live together in multi-generation and help each other like that all the time. I often wish I had a bit more than that, although I am happy we have a wee bit goin' on over here. They are an interesting family to watch. Different than a "small" family like ours (hee hee), but still amazing in so many ways. I'd really love her house!

She definitely has done her job training up kids to, basically, do her job!! ;-p

Seriously though, I'm sure there were times when she had plenty to do, but this stage of life is certainly NOT one of those times. The older girls definitely do the bulk of the work.

I have a friend who knows her (my friend only has 12 kids :tongue_smilie:). She said her personality on tv is just like it is in person. She never raises her voice, is very kind, and very patient.

I tend to think that Michelle is absolutely, 100% IN CONTROL of that situation, all the way around. She is the brains of the operation (nothing against Jim Bob). I just think she is the one making sure everything is running smoothly at all times. And I bet she makes more decisions than people might think!! :tongue_smilie:

She definitely has done her job training up kids to, basically, do her job!! ;-p

Seriously though, I'm sure there were times when she had plenty to do, but this stage of life is certainly NOT one of those times. The older girls definitely do the bulk of the work.

I have a friend who knows her (my friend only has 12 kids :tongue_smilie:). She said her personality on tv is just like it is in person. She never raises her voice, is very kind, and very patient.

I tend to think that Michelle is absolutely, 100% IN CONTROL of that situation, all the way around. She is the brains of the operation (nothing against Jim Bob - I think he is smart too). I just think she is the one making sure everything is running smoothly at all times. And I bet she makes more decisions than people might think!! :tongue_smilie:

I completely agree. You don't get all that order without training, training, training and you don't get all that peace and patience without keeping control. Nicely spoken.

I completely agree. You don't get all that order without training, training, training and you don't get all that peace and patience without keeping control. Nicely spoken.

First. I like Michelle. She is always trying to say the right thing and always tries to keep sponsors and and viewers alike happy. She has my vote there. I also think she is not about hitting her kids, which I like.

However, this training thing. You can train a girl child to do pretty much anything you want, and you can even train a boy child to go along with it.

However, people are not dogs to be trained.