Menu

And my bil would appreciate it if you labeled that, as if he eats anything with Splenda in it, he gets migraines.

My cousin is diabetic (type 1) and I always hating watching her sit with nothing :( Now, I buy the snack bags and things and whenever I see someone looking obviously put out I ask if they want something sugar free. I've found that if I offer it, and MAN that stuff is expensive, then every person on a fad diet is going to wolf them down, or better take them home for snacks :glare: So, I keep my sugar free snacks on the d/l. My dad has type 2 and he likes the fact that I always have a little something HE can snack on.

I dislike splenda and try to find the snacks that contain natural alternatives.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straying here... I have been to a couple of functions in the past 6 months where there was an individual who was evidently allergic or highly sensitive to every offering on the table, because they didn't eat anything (and there was a grandmotherly type continuously offering them something every 5 seconds). I heard lactose intolerent, gluten, wheat, etc. thrown around too. They looked so pathetic and hungry. I felt bad for them......but only for a little bit. I too used to be a vegetarian and if I was going to cookout, I could almost guarantee there wouldn't be something for me. I got over it and started bringing my own veggie burger. Actually, it was quite funny to see the screwed up faces over my "mushroom tofu thingy" being in proximity to their burgers on the grill. :)

I understand why people say this, and given the number of clueless and even thoughtless people in the world, it may be a life-or-death neccessity to take that attitude. But it makes me really sad to think that people are afraid to ask others for a little consideration ~ especially when a chld's health is at stake. :sad:

Before I read this thread, I would have said "Surely most parents would want to bring a food that everyone could eat, so no child would feel deprived or left out." When my kids were in school I always made sure to bring a healthy birthday snack that everyone could eat, including kids with allergies or intolerances ~ it's really not that hard. The idea that some people would rather certain kids feel left out than make even a tiny bit of extra effort, or spend an extra dollar or two, makes me: :confused:

I just don't understand the attitude of "Well if your child can't eat the gooey pink cupcakes I'm bringing that WE like, then tough luck for your kid. It's your responsibility to bring something they can eat, and if they feel bad about eating celery while everyone else eats pink cupcakes, well then they need to learn that sometimes life sucks." Do they need to learn it at 5? Really?

It seems like the right to do whatever you want, and not have to modify your behavior for anyone else (not even a small child with health issues) is the prevailing approach to all social interaction these days. And I find that really sad.

Jackie

Well, it's not that I am afraid to ask - it is just more a matter of being practical and courteous, really.

I think moms are so busy and overwhelmed nowadays that it is hard for them to remember what to bring or what not bring, or they may not even fully understand the risks we are facing. Also, with all of the allergies and intolerances out there, it is hard for people to find things that are safe for everyone. And there are those people who are clueless or just plain selfish.

I have family members who think my son's allergy is all in his head. I once picked my son up from a visit at a friend's house (who knows all about the allergies), and saw that his mom had taken out a bowl of nuts and set them on the table because her son really wanted them. I've had a Sunday School teacher force my son to accept candy after he told her he could not eat it. He thankfully just politely told her he would bring it home for later. It said right on the package, "Made on equipment that contains peanuts." This would have surely sent him to the hospital.

It is too stressful to continually rage against these attitudes. I have had to accept the facts of life, and realize this is our problem. We are over the top thankful when people help, but we don't expect it. We are very careful about who we leave our son alone with. Some people are off limits - including that friend I described, my aunt and my mother-in-law.

My son knows the risk he faces, and my other children do, too and they watch out for him. We have let him know that if there is any question at all about the food - don't eat it, we'll get you something later. This is a fact of life for him, and nothing he feels sad about. We have talked about the fact that some kids have cheese allergies and cannot even eat pizza - THAT would be sad! ;)

Really, this is preparing him for adult life anyway. One day he'll be away at college and then off in the workforce... He has to learn to live with it.

I think it makes sense to have a balance of personal responsibility and courtesy on both sides of the issue. I also think it would be wonderful if we could stop serving food at every activity. :)

I don't always have to deal with this in group situations, but when I was in children's ministry there was a little girl who could have no sugar, milk products, or wheat. When I made snacks that related to the Bible story and were outside of the things she was allowed to have (most were), I always brought a bag of popcorn and popped it for her or kept sugar-free popcicles in the church freezer. It was quite simple really, and it made her feel special that she had something specific, just for her.

I think it's maybe children's ministry that proved it to me but there are lots of kids with lots of health/allergy issues. One thing I never did was make or bring a treat with peanuts or peanut products in it. Most of the snacks/drinks came from my own money and I was sometimes amazed at some of the parents that would spend time griping about the type of juice I brought or whatever. I would just suggest they bring that item the next week since they knew what it was they were wanting.

One of my own dc loses all ability to focus when having soft drinks and eating chips or fried foods. It is really quite extreme at times. Naturally, those are the foods that are his favorites. :(

Well, before we do the annual "evil Christmas" threads let's get through those annual "satanic Halloween" threads first. You know how I just love those. :D

Seriously, though... someone needs to compile a sticky of the "annual hot topic threads" complete with links to the past posts. Then when people feel the urge to resurrect those moldy oldies, we can just direct them to the master list and they can "feel the outrage" on their own.

Oh, and forewarning... I swear I'm going to tag all those re-hashed, over-hashed threads with BTDTBTTS (been there done that, bought the tee shirt).

LOL, I thought we were past the Halloween threads.

I'll tag with you.:D

Not to add to an extremely long thread... that I WILL NOT read all the way through... but I have a mini-rant.

One of the things that helped me not be involved in Cub Scouts was the "snack station" at the summer camp. Tons o' crap. Sugery, fatty, just all around garbage. It was hard for my kids to find anything they were allowed to snack on. Also only gatorade and soda. Some of these kids also were bringing $$ buying some combos, skittles and doritos saying "This is my dinner" as it was a twilight camp, at dinner time until 9 pm. So all these poor kids were all jumped up on stuff really late at night. I am sure many of them also had had drive-thru for dinner.

I think some people don't care as much, or notice, and think that if they "don't see it" or if it is brought by someone else.. it's ok.

We are all obviously more involved in our children's lives, so we have have more opportunities to witness this sort of thoughtlessness.

I know that I couldn't AFFORD to bring all the kids at an event a decent snack. Good "prepackaged" food is usually a bit more expensive.

i don't know what I am rambling about...

Wow -

Where's the Energizer Bunny smiley?

Still going. . . . . .

Still going. . . . .

Still going. . . . . . .

I know-this thing has taken on a life of its own! MAKE IT STOP!:smash:

(which of course is not helped by my responding and bumping it! :001_huh:)

Could it be that some kids have pancreases that aren't working as well as they should? It sounds reasonable to me.

My pancreas doesn't react properly to sugar as a secondary issue to something else wrong in me. A ton of insulin gets released that leads to very low blood sugar. It sure doesn't make me hyper though, quite the opposite. It is genetic, and it could be that my son will have similar issues. I don't really know, though, because my son gets very little sugar. His enamel didn't form right, so sugar is out for him. He's been put out with general anesthesia once for his teeth, even though he was so young that I wasn't feeding him any sweets yet, and I won't have him put out again if I can help it. I would be pissed if someone gave my son sugar behind my back. I'm trying to save his teeth!

I sometimes wonder about that too for our family. I have noticed that my daughter's reactions to sugar usually appear a couple hours after she eats it. I think it's a hypoglycemic reaction to the spike in insulin after eating sugar? Because it will happen from refined carb overload also. The drop in blood sugar level that follows? Hypoglycemia can cause violent, extremely irrational, irritable behavior. She's not diabetic, nor am I, but as a child I had the same reaction. When I got older and my metabolism slowed down I stopped having that type of reaction, although I can still get sick if I don't eat the right foods to maintain my blood sugar. That's why I don't understand how a research study can say "no children react to sugar." Of course some will. Our metabolisms all move at a different rate. Some will be faster, others slower. How can there NOT be people out there that process sugar differently and get issues related to insulin, etc., even without diabetes at the time.

I would be interested to know if the children whose parents say they react badly to sugar might be at higher risk of diabetes. It seems to be almost like a prediabetic warning signal, KWIM? Type 2 diabetes is on the rise, sugar is really not a health food in that regard, and parents thoughts on whether their child should partake of something that might effect their health (now or later) should be respected.

But I am not doctor, that's just my ponderings...

When I was a kid, I got wild over ice. I could chomp down a big bowl of ice and get so giddy, I was sent to another room.

I'm enjoying my mental picture of a little girl chomping ice and giggling furiously while the peace seeking adults in her life point menacingly at the doorway!:001_smile:

It's attitudes like yours that make life a trial.

Bill

It's made-up "food sensitivities" like yours that makes it so that people who have children with REAL conditions aren't taken seriously.

Children who are deadly allergic to peanuts are in danger because other parents decide that their children are brats when they have sugar, or nitrate, or aspartame, or....

I wouldn't give your child sugar, but I would think less of YOU.

My f-i-l was rushed to the ER after an MSG reaction: his face and throat were swelling up so he was struggling to breathe. I'm not so sure it wasn't life-threatening.

It's better to be safe that sorry, but it's not an allergy (this is about the body's response, not about severity--those who can't process PKU aren't allergic, either, and PKU causes permanent mental retardation!!!!) and is, indeed, rarely life-threatening. That doesnt' mean that if you're among the minority who experience swelling in addition to flushing that you shouldn't take strong precautions, or that for those for whom it is dangerous shouldn't seek medical attention--it's just that, for MOST people who are sensitive, it's mostly an annoyance.

I disagree with this. There is absolutely information to the contrary.

Where did you find this? I mean for people without diabetes or hypoglycemia and who aren't overweight/obese and so borderline insulin resistant. (For those, it absolutely IS an issue!) The ONE study I found that showed significant blood effects with kids was a poorly designed study where all the kids knew they were eating sweets. No others, that were properly conducted, showed it.

The ONE study I found that showed significant blood effects with kids was a poorly designed study where all the kids knew they were eating sweets.

:confused: How can someone NOT know that they are eating sweets?

Do you mean knowing the particular sweetener/sugar that was used?

I think sugar really might affect some people in a negative way!

For myself, an adult, if I have something like pancakes or doughnuts at breakfast, by about 11:00 I can't think clearly and am irritable. It causes me to feel physically ill. I honestly do not have the ability to function properly after that type of food, particularly if there has been no protein involved. If there are such studies that say they "prove" something different, I'd be doubtful of them. It is the same as my opinion on statistics...I really question the validity of many of those types of findings.

listing the snacks I'm comfortable bringing.

I have a ds who can not tolerate sugar and needs to eat protein regularly to maintain stability yet he's been cleared medically. That is totally different from my other two children who have had anaphylactic reactions and been transported by ambulance to the closest ER. Both reacted differently and I remember it like it was yesterday. Nuts are not the only food allergies that can cause anaphylactic reactions. In fact, my oldest's reaction was from egg, the youngest to milk.

I'm hearing more and more when food allergies are brought up, others chiming in saying they have food allergies too. Referring to real life, and it basically tells me they don't get the seriousness of my boy's allergies. There is a big difference in clinically life threatening food allergy and a mild sensitivity.

For myself, an adult, if I have something like pancakes or doughnuts at breakfast, by about 11:00 I can't think clearly and am irritable. It causes me to feel physically ill. I honestly do not have the ability to function properly after that type of food, particularly if there has been no protein involved. If there are such studies that say they "prove" something different, I'd be doubtful of them.

I am exactly the same way, but for me it doesn't have to be "junk food" like doughnuts, it can be so-called "healthy" food like oatmeal. If it's carbohydrate, and not accompanied by a lot of fat and protein, it makes me feel AWFUL. I am not considered pre-diabetic, but I still have this reaction. And I've been that way since I was a teen, looooong before I *thought* sugar was evil. So I know it's not just in my head.

I've had hypoglycemia (not diabetes) since I was a child. When my sugar level gets too low, it can def. cause problems. I am the type who gets sick, then dizzy, and then faints if it gets too low (this has happened several times). The doctor told me to always keep glucose tablets or something "sugary" on hand. I do not have issues with too much sugar, so we differ in this way.

My DD29 deals with hypoglycemia -- her hands will start shaking, she turns pale, and then everything else you described will happen.

It's made-up "food sensitivities" like yours that makes it so that people who have children with REAL conditions aren't taken seriously.

Children who are deadly allergic to peanuts are in danger because other parents decide that their children are brats when they have sugar, or nitrate, or aspartame, or....

I wouldn't give your child sugar, but I would think less of YOU.

Rude and unnecessary.:thumbdown:

If you were talking about me, was it because I said they were being desensitized to their allergens? You've heard of the Duke University Study, right? Allergists all over are doing that now, including ours.

If you weren't talking about me, whoops!:tongue_smilie:

I've experienced in real life.

I'm familiar with desensitization, we're doing that very slowly with my oldest after doing an in office oral challenge to see what level he currently tolerates. I'm not sure where I sit with it as it's so different from when we first were taken down this road 9 years ago and the rule was complete avoidance until the allergen is outgrown. My youngest is no where near ready for that, his RAST for milk remains extremely high.