Menu

learning to use graphic calculator

We didn't have these when I took math in hs. DS did TT AlgI and most of II and we counted it as Algebra I. He is currently doing Chalkdust Geometry. The problems in the book use a TI-81 and he has a TT84 plus, I think. We couldn't figure it out. The books was so outdated. We have a friend who is in honors at the ps and in 8th grade she was showing my son how to do all of these cool things on the calculator. We don't use it except for simple, regular calculator things. How do you learn this??? Do you really need it on the SAT. He had it when he took the ACT in 7th grade for Duke but we didn't know how to use it. ( He still did well.) He tends to get 97 to 99 percentile in math. Last year he got 98 percentile for his SAT -10 test at the local Christian school and he was the only one who didn't have a calculator ( I didn't think he could use one on the standardized test and he could do it all without one.) But I am lost.

Christine

I know how you feel! I never knew how to use all the features of these calculators either

First, your son clearly doesn't need one and although allowed to use certain ones on the SAT and ACT (they each have different requirements), it might be helpful going forward. I stumbled upon a company that produces books and videos for using a graphics calculator and we purchased the one for calculus several years ago. As ds advanced in math, he would watch it and learn at little more each year. I found it very helpful!

http://www.vent-pub.com/pages/masterlist.html#gcb

That said, I know you can find sites online too. When we upgraded he found a site for the T!-89 (started with TI-83+).

Good luck!

Mary

when my son got a TI-83, i was warned that it had a steep learning curve and the manual it came with was unintelligible. i bought TI-83 for Dummies used on Amazon. it's hard to say how much it helps as, really, the math he's doing doesn't really need it despite what his school said. (he's a sophomore in PS now; i'm actually still having to homeschool math!)

The only homeschool math that I found that teaches the calculator thoroughly is BJU with their DVDs. DD learned how to use it in Algebra 1, and DS learned how in Algebra 2 and Precalculus. We did/are doing Chalkdust Geometry, and there is no instruction on the dvds. BJU gives sheets with step by step directions, and shows the calculator screen on dvd as well. I don't know if ds would have learned how to use it w/o BJU. TT doesn't teach it until Precalculus, Video Text doesn't teach it, Chalkdust only does a very small amount of calculator instruction. Grrrrr. There are things I don't like about BJU math, but the calculator instruction isn't one of them.

I've done numerous SAT practice tests without using a calculator at all, let alone a graphing calculator. Casio makes a nice Scientific calculator that I really like, and it's cheap.

My ds is learning to use his this year as his co-op Algebra II teacher shows them during class.

When the kids from the public schools that I tutor show me how to do something on the graphing calculator, I can usually tell that they don't have a clue as to what they're actually doing.

There is a teaching company DVD that is available on Netflix that teaches the use of graphing calculators. I have my eye on it for later. I will try to see if I can find the title.

Okay, here's a link. It may not be in depth enough for your use. It is included in the Algebra I lessons.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Algebra_1_Lesson_4_Exploring_Functions_with_the_Aid_of_a_Graphing_Calculator/70030506?trkid=226871

HTH

Julie

Edited by Julieofsardis
found the link

These follow their books' scope and sequence which you can find if you just click on the Table on Contents. We have found these calculator notes helpful when we were dumber than the "Dummies" book. :001_smile:

Start here:

http://www.keypress.com/x1735.xml

Click on Algebra I or Alg II text.

On the left side a little ways down under "Resources by Category", you'll see a link for "Calculator Notes, Programs, and Data."

Takes you to a page of pdf documents for the different calculators by TI.

Helpful step-by-step instructions to do lots of cool things.

Wish we had more time to play with these.....

Peace,

Janice

Thanks, Janice. BTW, I have 3 kids and I can so relate to your posts about the difficulty of high school. I still can't wrap my brain around helping my 9th grader with Geometry, Chemistry, teaching Les Miserables, discussing the corrupt bargain, etc. At the same time, I'm teaching myself phonics for my 7yo not to mention the fun of my 7th grade boy that has hit puberty and thinks I am the dumbest woman on the planet and he knows everything...at least everything that is important to know... after all, when will you use a thesis statement in real life???:glare:

Christine

Just yesterday, I was helping older ds with his computer programming assignment and he turned to me and said, "Wow. You're really smart. How did you figure that out? This is the first time you are ever seeing this and I've been in this class for seven weeks."

He looked completely dumbfounded.

I told him to write, "My mom is brilliant!" on a piece of paper and tape it to his forehead for reference the next time he suspects that I'm a raving idiot - an all too frequent occurrence. I was playfully swatting him over the head with the piece of paper and he was pretending to duck - grinning the whole time.

Seventh grade is a tough one for boys. At least around here. Just keep swimming, momma! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice