Menu

Is "home school" two words or one?

creekmom

I write it as one word. The Catholic schools in my area have something called "Home School" which has something to do with communication, planning, and volunteering between parents and teachers. I feel that writing it as one word separates us homeschoolers from the home-school associations the schools sponsor.

Most authoritative sources will call for two words - "home school." Another example would be "breast feeding." However, advocates generally don't want to be relegated to a mere adjective, so they create a compound word. I fall in the camp of compounding. So there, official rules! ;)

Just to make a little trouble, I prefer to say we home educate our children or that the children are educated at home if anyone asks.

I used to say "I teach them at home." I thought it sounded awkward to say that I "educated" them at home (which is what we were doing, of course).

In my ideal world, homeschooling would be called education and institutionalized schooling would be called institutionalized schooling. :tongue_smilie:

In the meantime, I prefer home-based education, since I don't actually lock my children in the house in order to turn them into antisocial freaks. ;)

I'll have to remember that " I home educate my kids" or "they are educated at home" but that still doesn't change the spellcheck driving me nuts. :D

My email spellchecker is kept "off." It has a problem with several of our children's names and I shushed it. I know that you have the option of adding a spelling to the accepted spellchecker list. I believe that "homeschool" will end up an accepted spelling in modern dictionaries eventually. You can be a pioneer :D

I read somewhere that it is supposed to be two words like high school, elementary school, etc.

I think hyphenating is a nice compromise.

But then there are words like homesteading, and homemaking. Homeschooling is a lifestyle, not just a different place to Do School.

And I don't think anyone can say what it "should" be. :)

In my ideal world, homeschooling would be called education and institutionalized schooling would be called institutionalized schooling. :tongue_smilie:

LOL!

But then there are words like homesteading, and homemaking. Homeschooling is a lifestyle, not just a different place to Do School.

Now there's a good counter argument to the one I usually hear--homeschool is two words because public school is two words. I'll remember this one!

Merry :-)

Most authoritative sources will call for two words - "home school." Another example would be "breast feeding." However, advocates generally don't want to be relegated to a mere adjective, so they create a compound word. I fall in the camp of compounding. So there, official rules! ;)

Yes, this.