Menu

Another Baby Sleeping Question

My son David just passed the four month mark. As a newborn he was a dream when it came to sleeping - swaddle him up, feed him, finish rocking him to sleep and he'd be out for 3-5 hour stretches consistently from 10pm to 8am. When he was 6 weeks old I got heatstroke/exhaustion (pure stupidity on my part) and couldn't breastfeed him for about 24 hours (or even hold him for that matter) because I was constantly throwing up. Since then he has been... slightly difficult in the sleep area. He went from being perfectly fine and happy to sleep in his crib to having to sleep with both DH and I in the bed. Naps had to be taken in his bouncy chair, I guess because it gave the illusion of being held?

Now, however, he refuses to sleep unless he is held. Period. He wakes up the second I try to put him down. At night I'm having to sleep with him cradled next to my side, or (if I'm lucky) right next to him with my arm flopped over his body. He has not really had a nap in about 2 weeks. He is SO tired and is reaching the cranky point because as soon as he latches on to eat he falls asleep and thus isn't eating as much as normal. I've tried everything I can think of, including just letting him "cry it out" to see if in his exceptionally tired state he'll just cry himself to sleep and realize that sleeping in a crib really isn't that horrible of a thing. Instead he just screamed for about 40 minutes, at which point neither I nor my DH could take it any longer. (It was that heart breaking, "Mommy, why do you hate me, I'm scared!" cry).

I don't necessarily mind holding him while he sleeps, except I'm also a full-time college student. I have papers I need to write, and in the past couple weeks I haven't gotten anything done. I can't type while he's napping in my lap and he'll only entertain himself for so long. DH helps when he can, but he's got a heavier school/work load than I do. I've thought about having somebody watch him, but most of the people that offer I wouldn't trust with my child if they paid me and the few (well, single!) person that I both trust and David likes enough to not scream for the entire time with (my best friend) is also in school full time, so she's just as busy.

I'm planning on buying a sling as soon as I've got rent/bills paid etc, but that doesn't really solve the problem, just gives me a way to work around it.

Help?!?