Menu

Yesterday my ds got braces. Now I'm wondering about alternatives to popcorn.

Popcorn is a (the) staple snack in our home. Now what? The pamphlet says nuts and popcorn don't mix with braces.

This boy is a growing teen and is hungry all the time. Any suggestions for braces friendly, healthy snack food? I bake everything so I was thinking maybe I have to make crackers more often. But I'm looking for everyday, filling snacks.

Thanks.

crackers with cheese, hummus etc.

Pita chips (or cut up toasted pita pockets)

veggies & fruit dipped into whatever (Teens eat strange things sometimes...)

salsa with beans & tortilla's

small savory muffins (with cheese, sausage etc)

For a filling snack, I love just about any leftover stuffed into a pita pocket.

Do you have a toaster oven? I used to just about live on English muffins as a teen. English muffins with cream cheese and/or jam or pizza toppings. You can do a lot with an English muffin (or any chewy flat bread really).

crackers with cheese, hummus etc.

Pita chips (or cut up toasted pita pockets)

veggies & fruit dipped into whatever (Teens eat strange things sometimes...)

salsa with beans & tortilla's

small savory muffins (with cheese, sausage etc)

For a filling snack, I love just about any leftover stuffed into a pita pocket.

Do you have a toaster oven? I used to just about live on English muffins as a teen. English muffins with cream cheese and/or jam or pizza toppings. You can do a lot with an English muffin (or any chewy flat bread really).

English muffins are an excellent idea. And the savory muffins are a good idea too. Once I made a roll (like a cinnamon roll) filled with ham and cheese and onions. He loved those.

Thanks.

We don't have any trouble with popcorn/braces here--he just has to pay attention while eating it and eat a little at a time.

I can't imagine totally giving up popcorn in our house!

I think the instructions from the ortho here were to eat very carefully if you have popcorn, but it wasn't 'banned'

=)

Hmm, the pamphlet says no but I think I'll ask at our next appointment, next month. We too are big popcorn eaters here, virtually eating it every day.

I can see eating it carefully might be the key.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I have braces and eat popcorn all the time. The only thing I have found that broke anything on my braces was raw carrots. My dd has braces too and also eats popcorn and has not had any problem.

Well this boy will be happy to hear all these testimonials (and very happy to hear the limitations on raw carrots :001_smile:).

So I asked him the popcorn question. He said he doesn't restrict any foods because it's not realistic. However, he did say to use common sense. It's the popcorn kernels that cause problems, not the popcorn. He did say it's not a good idea to eat hard candies.

Anyway, that was reassuring.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. I'm sure I will use them.

Both ds's ate/eat popcorn with braces. Yes, we got the nice poster showing popcorn was on the Do Not Eat list. So were tortilla chips. But neither ds had a problem with either food. One ds nearly had a problem with a sticky candy (also on the banned list). We told him he could suck on it, not chew, but he forgot. Problem foods that they gave up were: corn on the cob, whole apples (sliced ok), carrots (thin slices ok).

Cinder

Our ortho does said absolutely no pop-corn, nuts, hard candies, gum, ice, sticky foods like tootsie rolls or Doritos. :001_huh: They sent us home with a big-old refrigerator magnet with all the no-no's of braces to avoid problems and cavities.:001_huh:

My dd has followed the instructions, but did have to make dietary adjustments. Now eating with braces is second nature to her and we just push healthy snacks and food choices. You know what, she almost never snacks now. Wow...I just realized that.

We do make a lot of oatmeal bars or cookies

Fresh baked bread with butter

cottage cheese

yogurt

Edited by Tammyla

• 2 years later...
Guest NNobleSix

Popcorn chips are a light, soft alternative to popcorn... But they have all the same ingredients... Less fat too! These are recommended by my dentist so I'm sure it's fine. You can find them usually at whole foods. They're called pop chips I believe...

Happy snacking!!!

Hmm, the pamphlet says no but I think I'll ask at our next appointment, next month. We too are big popcorn eaters here, virtually eating it every day.

I can see eating it carefully might be the key.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I just got braces off this past year. Popcorn and fresh veggies and fruits are a total pain in the butt to clean out of braces. Yes, he might be able to carefully eat it, but he'll enjoy it for several hours. :tongue_smilie: I got to the point that I just didn't eat those things. Steamed veggie and baked potatoes (microwave) were my favorite.

My daughter avoids the chewy candy (carmel, etc.) because of her braces, but hasn't given up on popcorn.

I wanted to mention that she is completely addicted to using her Waterpik - http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-WP-100W-Ultra-Water-Flosser/dp/B000GLRREU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327415271&sr=8-1. She uses it after every meal and/or snack because she likes how clean her teeth feel.

This is an old thread (btw my son still has his braces . . . a few more months). Our experience after more than two years? Food hasn't been an issue. He eats virtually anything he wants and we've only ever had one broken bracket and one wire (probably not related to food).

I have to say I'm ready for those braces to come off :). We have to travel 45 minutes once a month to our orthodontist and in the winter (we get tonnes of snow), its not fun.