Menu

Martial Arts??? Gymnastics??

So, I'm checking out what's available here. A rec center (in a not so nice part of town) has 'martial arts' twice a week for $50 per month.

A Karate studio has twice a week for ??? per month, but they have a free 30 day trial and give them their uniform for free (says this is a $150 value).

There are various other kung fu and taekwondo(sp?) studios that offer a mix of different things. It appears that Judo is available 1 or 2 times per week on base for $15 per month.

How do you choose a martial art and a studio? I have no idea what to ask, or what to look for. This is for my 8yos who has never been interested in any lessons before. He really needs something right now, and is interested in martial arts (as long as he doesn't have to break bricks with his head/hands :D ).

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

How do you decide where to go for gymnastics (for 6yod) if you have multiple choices? If every choice is USAG certified?

So, I'm checking out what's available here. A rec center (in a not so nice part of town) has 'martial arts' twice a week for $50 per month.

A Karate studio has twice a week for ??? per month, but they have a free 30 day trial and give them their uniform for free (says this is a $150 value).

There are various other kung fu and taekwondo(sp?) studios that offer a mix of different things. It appears that Judo is available 1 or 2 times per week on base for $15 per month.

How do you choose a martial art and a studio? I have no idea what to ask, or what to look for. This is for my 8yos who has never been interested in any lessons before. He really needs something right now, and is interested in martial arts (as long as he doesn't have to break bricks with his head/hands :D ).

How do you decide where to go for gymnastics (for 6yod) if you have multiple choices? If every choice is USAG certified?

I vote for Judo :lol:.

I chose Judo 4 years ago for my boys because our club is inexpensive and what we could afford. Since then, I've fallen in love with the sport (I began 3 years ago).

Oh--and he won't have to break bricks. There is no hitting or kicking in Judo. It's all throwing and pinning. It's a defensive sport, and teaches you how to respond if you are attacked. You learn how to use your opponent's momentum against them (throwing) and you learn how to pin someone on the ground, or escape if you are being pinned. Older (13+) learn how to choke, and even older (17+) learn how to use arm bars to get an opponent to submit.

Edited by JudoMom

Aikido is another martial art that will be similar to judo--no breaking anything. It's been a really good fit for my husband and daughter (she's now 9 and they've been taking for about 2.5 years). She has gotten to do a little weapons form work, which she enjoyed.

Edited by KarenNC

Aikido is another martial art that will be similar to judo--no breaking anything. It's been a really good fit for my husband and daughter (she's now 9 and they've been taking for about 2.5 years). She has gotten to do a little weapons form work, which she enjoyed.

I started Aikido 4 yrs ago, and it's been pretty awesome for me. As stated, no breaking anything, focuses on throws, pins, etc.

I wouldn't go to something labelled 'martial arts' for the same reason as I wouldn't enroll in a class labelled 'foreign language' without specifications as to what would be taught.

I wouldn't go to something labelled 'martial arts' for the same reason as I wouldn't enroll in a class labelled 'foreign language' without specifications as to what would be taught.

:001_smile: That's what I was thinking. Judo is definitely the most affordable, and DH is pleased with that aspect. I just hope that the quality of the lessons is not lacking. My oldest did the $6 rec center karate lessons when she was in K, and they weren't the best. I tend to think rec center classes are a bit sub par, but I don't want to rule them out altogether without all the information.

At least the Judo lessons on base are in a safe location. :D

RE. gymnastics: Go to a trial lesson (free) at each choice. Choose the one that you and your dd like the best.

We don't have the money right now for the gymnastics AND martial arts. DS is the priority right now for many reasons. In a couple of months we'll have more spending money freed up so at that time we'll start DD in gymnastics.

Would you wait until you were ready to pay and begin lessons to try out the different gyms? Or would you try them out ahead of time to get an idea and be prepare when you are ready to start?

:001_smile: That's what I was thinking. Judo is definitely the most affordable, and DH is pleased with that aspect. I just hope that the quality of the lessons is not lacking. My oldest did the $6 rec center karate lessons when she was in K, and they weren't the best. I tend to think rec center classes are a bit sub par, but I don't want to rule them out altogether without all the information.

I bet the lessons will be better than the rec center lessons. I know the Air Force Academy has a Judo club, and we've had Army people come through our club who are at least aquainted with Judo.

I would see if your club belongs to your State Organization, and I would talk with the Sensei to find out what degree black belt s/he is and how long they've been teaching.

I pay an average of $25/month for my club (this is total for myself & my 5 boys--I have 5 hours of classes/week, and my boys have 2-5 hours of classes/week). It is excellent instruction, and my Sensei is wonderful. He's not in it to make a profit (although I don't have any problems with people making profit), he just wants to promote the sport.

We don't have the money right now for the gymnastics AND martial arts. DS is the priority right now for many reasons. In a couple of months we'll have more spending money freed up so at that time we'll start DD in gymnastics.

Would you wait until you were ready to pay and begin lessons to try out the different gyms? Or would you try them out ahead of time to get an idea and be prepare when you are ready to start?

Have you considered having your dd start Judo :D?

Ask around - if a studio is good, it will be known and folks will talk it up. My dd goes to the headquarters (it happens to be in Elgin) for Kyuki-Do (a Korean mixture of judo, karate, etc.) that has been in business for over 40 years now!!It was via word of mouth from several different families that dd got involved 2.5 years ago - she may be a black belt in another year or two at the rate she is going (six hours per week). I have, in the meantime, seen other store front karate etc. studios open and close in the area. Longevity of a studio is another good sign.

How do you choose a martial art and a studio?

Look for a Sensei who treats his students well. He should be an effective instructor and the sort of person you truly want in your kids' lives. In particular, pay attention to his relationships with senior students. If he's been there for 5+ years, he should have brown and black belt students who have been with him for a while. Observe the relationships he has with these students, and whether it is what you want for your kids. This is your very best way of figuring out if the sensei is emotionally mature and mentally stable enough to mentor young martial artists. Do not take it for granted that advanced rank in the martial arts equates to these qualities. This is NOT a given.

Make sure the school does basic background checks on their instructors. It's no fun realizing that your sensei of many years has and extensive criminal history. It's worse if he occasionally indulges in domestic violence, random fights and other nonsense.

Here's some more good advice on sizing up a martial arts school:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/MAculture.html#cult

It is wonderful to hear that Judo classes are offered on base. I would look into this first. Judo is a well regulated, effective art. It is very easy to confirm your instructor's credentials. The student's credentials will transfer from Judo school to Judo school, unlike most other martial arts.

Good Luck!

Honestly, just starting out, I enrolled Ariel in several classes at the local rec center. We did that with both gymnastics and dance and she liked them both so much that we moved on to slightly more expensive (and farther) options after a year or so. For us, it was a combination of distance and price.

The way you choose is always, ALWAYS by the instructor.

The style matters far less than a good instructor. Personally, I like aikido, but if there were a great taekwando teacher and he was better than the aikido instructor, we'd be doing taekwando.

After a kid has gotten closer to black belt, then the style is more of an issue, but even then, I still say quality of instructor/ studio always wins out.

And usually, the way to learn that, is to do the free trials. If they won't let you do a free trial, I would be suspicious.

Guest Cindie2dds

Some gymnastics places have different classes depending on what your child is interested in or good at. Tumbling, floor work, bars, etc. My dd is in a general class since she's not great... but she has a blast, which is all I care about.

Good luck!

All things being equal--Judo!!!!