Menu

Liturgical Calendar help

This may be a weird question, and I'm going to try and make an otherwise very long story very short. ;) We attend a non-denominational church, but I really want to follow the liturgical year at home. Does anyone have any resources (websites, book recommendations) to get started? Especially, does anyone have any resources aimed at families and/or children? Thanks! :D

This may be a weird question, and I'm going to try and make an otherwise very long story very short. ;) We attend a non-denominational church, but I really want to follow the liturgical year at home. Does anyone have any resources (websites, book recommendations) to get started? Especially, does anyone have any resources aimed at families and/or children? Thanks! :D

Not sure how liturgical you want to get, but google the Vatican's web site and you should find the (RC) Liturgical Year spelled out somewhere. I know there are other sites you can google (just put in Liturgical Year or some such), but don't remember them off hand. Also know that there are some slight differences between the Orthodox and Catholic liturgical years. This may not matter too much to you as you are neither; but, I just wanted you to be aware. Right now, for instance, we're in Ordinary Time. All Saint's and All Soul's Days are almost upon us.

The blog linked in my signature tag is very nice in this way! She's creating a curriculum of sorts based on the Orthodox liturgical year and she posts regularly on this (plus you can search the archives). Look at the links, first, on the upper left side of the home page. Hope this helps! We are in the process of becoming Orthodox, so are learning now about following the liturgical year. It's wonderful!

The Lutheran Liturgical Year differs slightly from others, and there are differences within the different Lutheran groups. Our synod, The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, does not celebrate all the festivals that other synods may celebrate.

We are about the enter the last season, which is End Times. Advent starts the Church Year. Advent is to celebrate Christ's second coming of Christ, not his birth.

Also, you may see mention of saints. Lutherans consider all believers in Christ to be saints. We do not pray to saints. We may celebrate the Feast of St. Stephen after Christmas, but we do not consider him more worthy than other Believers. He did not go through a canonization process as the Catholic Church has. However, his martyrdom was noteworthy and inspiring.

You should be able to google Lutheran Liturgical Year to get some info.

I am smiling, because I wrote a very similar post about 1 1/2 years ago. Since that time many things have changed, and I am now in the process of joining myself to a liturgical church. I would not have predicted that when I wrote that post! So please, take what I have to say with a grain of salt and that info in mind. :)

Following the liturgical year *outside* of a liturgical church was difficult. Part of the purpose of celebrating through the year was not just to mark the time but to participate in the life of the whole body of Christ.. you and me together worshiping. I am certainly not saying you shouldn't try. In fact, I think you should! Just don't be discouraged if you get confused, remembering that most liturgical folk are helped along by a congregation. For example, I have my church bulletin, my lectionary, my friends and family and my priest all telling me what day it is. And I still forget where I am! It is a journey. But honestly, would you be satisfied with something you would master in a month of reading? The liturgical year is all about participating. It's like the difference between reading about kissing and actually kissing somebody!

Another thing to consider: why do you want to do this? For me, I needed what the liturgical cycle provided to me and my kids (whole 'nother post there! ) Therefore, the logical conclusion *for me* was to consider why I was attending a church that did not participate in something that I began to consider very important. Just saying. PM me if you want to chat more about that.

SO. (If you have read this far!) To do this you might want to first consider the tradition you are interested in, and go to their church website. I know our church has calendars with the readings for the day as well as the feasts and fasts. You could also talk with a church nearby- I know our priest is happy to talk with those who have questions about the liturgical cycle, and does not feel the need to proselytize while doing so ;). I bet there are many like that. The traditions are different enough that a mish-mash is impossible to implement (and defeats the purpose anyway).

I also second the Evlogia blog... it is so beautiful and thought provoking, and a good guide to gently begin the practice. She does a great job of explaining the *why*. Knowing the *why* keeps me from falling into the dreaded habit of box-checking, but that might be just me!

Please forgive if I have misspoken. I am just struck by the remembrance of my similar post, and where I am today!

Best to you- Lisa

Lisa, Thank you for your input. :D I actually read your old thread as it came up on the bottom of mine as similar threads. You bring up a lot of good questions/things to ponder for me, and I appreciate it. I know I have felt this way for a long time. We have been out of church completely for the last four years - we (dh and I both) had a *major* crisis of faith, to put it lightly, and I am slowly making my way back. My beliefs are different and my faith is different, but I feel at home at our old church (plus my friends go there and I feel like we can finally get back to a sense of community there having that common bond). But, I have always longed for the mystery of the Catholic church (my mom was raised Catholic as were pretty much everyone on that side of the family until I came around; I've often felt like I was cheated out of it ;) ). So, I am searching. Right now, it is a very slow thing just getting the family back to church. But, I am looking for something to bring more meaning into our spiritual lives at home right now while I search for how I want to teach the boys.

Do not apologize for potentially misspeaking. As I said, I appreciate your input. I know I may not be making complete sense, but I appreciate being able to put it out there and get some guidance as well as questions to think about while I search. :D

Here is a great book to get you started that will be perfect with the ages of your children: Come Worship With Me

It's approached from a Presbyterian background and includes traditional church symbols. I've enjoyed having this resource even though we don't traditionally follow all the events in the liturgical year. I believe it gives a good jumping off point for developing your own family liturgical traditions regardless of what your church may or may not celebrate.

Do not apologize for potentially misspeaking. As I said, I appreciate your input. I know I may not be making complete sense, but I appreciate being able to put it out there and get some guidance as well as questions to think about while I search. :D

Thank you for taking my post in the spirit it was written. Our journeys sound quite similar! I can encourage you that if you continue to seek, there is always guidance on the path to your true home. (Sounds a bit mystical, but I am having a hard time finding the words to express what I mean.)

It is good to settle in a tradition, as the days and saints are different from East to West. I am coming from an Eastern Orthodox perspective here (though I do use Western resources as well.) I use "The Year of Grace of the Lord" as well as the prayers and lectionary that is the back of my Bible. When I am in a hurry, I use the lectionary and lives of the saints commemorated on the GoArch homepage. The best thing has been attending the services at church on feast days. The Gospel has come alive for my family, and for that I am humbled and blessed.

Best wishes on your journey! Do pm or post if you ever want to discuss!

Blessings to you and your family- Lisa

I am smiling too, for, while I did not post often about it, I lived the liturgical year for many years, alone. It is so much easier and more fruitful now that I don't walk alone or by my own lights. Nice post, HappyGrl!

Patty- Thank you! Coming from you this is high praise indeed! Your posts are examples of great grace and wisdom and help me greatly.

(Hijack over!!)

What a wonderful gift to give your family!

http://www.ltp.org/c-2-LITURGICAL-YEAR.aspx has quite a few resources.

But what we do is just far more casual. I put a liturgically colored cloth over the dining room table. (Blue during Advent, purple during Lent, white during Christmas and Easter, green for ordinary time.)

We use an Advent wreath during Advent and sing "O Come O Come Emmanual" as we light the candles. We light candles and sing different songs each year during Lent. That's the sort of things we do. Different colored cloths and different songs each season.