Jump to content

Menu

fever...wait out or go in?


Recommended Posts

At what point do you take your dc in w/a fever? I tend to be more laid back and wait fevers out not only because I have found that they resolve on their own but because I don't like paying $20 just to have the pediatrician tell me to do what I'm already doing (fluids, rest, cool baths, meds, etc.). But my 4yo has had a 103 fever even w/Motrin and Tylenol the last 2 days and her head is hurting so badly she is crying (she's my toughest dc). I reluctantly made an appt for this afternoon but wonder if I should just cancel it. She's resting quietly on the couch and doesn't seem any worse for a typical sick kid. Would you take your dc in?

 

ETA: She does not complain of any neck stiffness/soreness.

Edited by LuvnMySvn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't for the reasons you listed, but if she suddenly became lethargic or the other symptoms that others have posted in previous threads, wheezing, stuff like that, than I would. My dd once sported a 103+ fever for several days and was fine. Fever broke and the next day I couldn't get her off the couch. Secondary infection. I don't think, [and correct me if I am wrong, please] that you can prevent secondary infections by going into the dr and the virus will likely clear up on its own.

 

Thems my 2 bits, said while lying on the couch with my own fever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several months ago I ended up taking my son to the doctor because of a fever of 103+ and a really bad headache after a couple of days. Turned out there was a virus going around where kids were having the really high fever and headache for 5 days, and then everything just went away on its own. The high fever had scared me into action, because I'd never heard of a virus like that before...but after 5 days the fever was completely gone and my son was just fine. I don't know if the same thing is going around your area, but do know for sure there is at least one virus out there that has those symptoms!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have just had fevers running through our home this last 2 weeks. Not sure the cause. So far, it affected 5 of our children. The highest temp was 101.6 and that was my 7 year old. My mom was very cross with me not doing anything like taking her to the doctor. Now I have 12 kids and they do get fevers once in a while so I've had lots of practice. Here is generally what we do.

 

We do NOT give any kind of pain reliever. It interferes with what the child is battling and will confuse me as to how severe or not the illness is. What we do is watch them very close for any vital changes. Such as lethargy, trouble breathing, eyes glossing over, etc. The normal stuff. With this last episode of fevers everyone was basically just a little tired and had some body soreness. No loss of appetite too much or anything else. Now if a fever reaches higher than 102 then I pay very close attention to them and watch for the above vital signs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would call the nurse and see what viruses they are seeing. If her symptoms fit, then likely you can wait.

 

I would though check to see if her neck is stiff or sore at all. A severe headache and fever could mean meningitis---which you would want her checked for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, ladies. I cancelled the appt. and am watching dd closely. Her fever is down just a bit but I think it's because of the meds I gave her.

 

We do NOT give any kind of pain reliever. It interferes with what the child is battling and will confuse me as to how severe or not the illness is.
I agree with this and will hold off on meds until a certain point. When she was crying from the pain in her head and obviously very uncomfortable due to the high fever I gave her meds for relief slight as it was.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge fan of fever medication in general, but if the child is obviously uncomfortable or in pain, then I will treat that.

 

I go for gut feeling as to whether or not I take them in. I don't generally take them in for fevers, but if they are acting very sick, or doing something unusual for them, or if that little voice tells me to, then I take them in. If you were able to make her comfortable with mediation, and she is interacting/ not massively lethargic, then I think it is okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took my daughter in 2 weeks ago for a 102.5 and wished I hadn't. The doc told me they are seeing tons of kids with 104, and that they aren't doing anything for the kids who are "weathering it well." She said to call if:

 

1. The fever lasted more than 5 days

2. DD got dehydrated

3. Troubles breathing

 

Of course, every kid is different, so a call to the nurse always makes me feel better. Wish I'd have saved the $$ and made the call instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would call the nurse and see what viruses they are seeing. If her symptoms fit, then likely you can wait.

 

I would though check to see if her neck is stiff or sore at all. A severe headache and fever could mean meningitis---which you would want her checked for.

 

I agree. I'd be concerned about meningitis with the headache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...