Menu

Need AAS help

Denisemomof4

How to you stretch a lesson? Where do you get your list to add other words with same concept?

I really feel like I'm missing something with this program. I sent AAS an email several weeks ago and never heard from them.

I like to use AAS as our core spelling program and supplement with Megawords. They work nicely together. I find myself just resorting to Megawords and I really want to use AAS. We went through level 1 in 2 weeks and are on level 2 now. I need to work this program better. What am I missing? if we just do as the book says, a "step" can be taught in a day or two.

I know I'm missing something. Can you tell me what?

It sounds to me like you are working below your child's level. Id continue to work quickly through until you get to a place where your child is challenged.

we are working below her level. I only have levels 1 and 2 and don't want to buy 3 until I see that it has more "meat" to it and can stretch the lessons out longer and also has more words in each step.

How to you stretch a lesson? Where do you get your list to add other words with same concept?

I really feel like I'm missing something with this program. I sent AAS an email several weeks ago and never heard from them.

I like to use AAS as our core spelling program and supplement with Megawords. They work nicely together. I find myself just resorting to Megawords and I really want to use AAS. We went through level 1 in 2 weeks and are on level 2 now. I need to work this program better. What am I missing? if we just do as the book says, a "step" can be taught in a day or two.

I wonder if your email was lost in cyberspace somehow, they normally respond in 1-2 days. I'd try emailing again. I answer most of the emails there.

Often older kids can go through the first few levels very quickly. Do you feel that your daughter learned new concepts in levels 1 & 2, and just that she picks them up quickly, or do you feel that she knows everything in those levels already? If you feel that Level 1 was unnecessary, AAS has a 1-year satisfaction guarantee. You could return it and have them send level 3 instead.

Usually you don't want to start higher than level 2 because that's where it teaches about syllable types and how they affect spelling, plus some other basic rules that apply to longer words also. I know Megawords does the syllable work too. If your daughter already knows all of the syllable types in Level 2, and all the phonograms and rules taught, she may be able to go up to Level 3 now. I'd take a look through it and decide if the placement is correct for her.

When you say you need to work the program better, what are you hoping to accomplish? Is your daughter retaining the concepts? Are you wanting her to apply them more to her writing outside of spelling? What I do for that is separate editing from writing. I have my kids edit either later that day or on a separate day, and see how many errors they can find. If they don't find ones in words that follow patterns they've learned, I talk them through the word--I have them sound it out exactly as they wrote it, or ask them if they've learned any rules that might apply, ask them about what syllable type the syllable is, etc...

You said you want more words--the number of words per lesson doesn't increase over time, but the "reinforcement words" can vary depending on whether there are a lot of words that follow that pattern. The dictations do increase though. Level 1 is just phrases. Level 2 has 6 phrases & 6 sentences per step. Level 3 goes up to 12 sentences. Halfway through it adds in the writing station. The length of the sentences gets longer too.

You might want to look at the samples for levels 3-5 that are online--each book has samples and the scope & sequence that you can see, the links are on the page for each level. That might help you decide if it's going to work for you long-term.

I hope this helps some! Merry :-)

I started using AAS when my oldest was in 3rd grade. To be honest, the spelling words are generally below my son's ability to spell, but I am using AAS to teach my son spelling rules and strategies, so that when he has to attack more advanced words he has some tools to use to help him figure it out. We're in level 4 right now, and each year, his spelling score has improved (based on an independent measure); Having peaked into level 5, I know that there will be a ton learned at that level that will dramatically improve his spelling in his writing.

Another thing: I've started using the reinforcement words as probes to see if my son is generalizing the spelling rules to other non-list words. Mistakes in his writing are opportunities to walk him through the application of the rules we've learned and help him to see that he can, indeed, spell well.

I started using AAS when my oldest was in 3rd grade. To be honest, the spelling words are generally below my son's ability to spell, but I am using AAS to teach my son spelling rules and strategies, so that when he has to attack more advanced words he has some tools to use to help him figure it out. We're in level 4 right now, and each year, his spelling score has improved (based on an independent measure); Having peaked into level 5, I know that there will be a ton learned at that level that will dramatically improve his spelling in his writing.

Another thing: I've started using the reinforcement words as probes to see if my son is generalizing the spelling rules to other non-list words. Mistakes in his writing are opportunities to walk him through the application of the rules we've learned and help him to see that he can, indeed, spell well.

This is why we started in level 1 as well. My dyslexic kid needs these strategies taught in AAS. I don't care how many words he spells at any level as long as he knows WHY he spells them as he does!

I have had a love hate relationship with this program and last yr got thru level one and 2 when we should have gotten thru 3 levels probably! What has helped me is:

a) attaching the white board to the wall

b) attaching the progress sheets to the same wall- its a check off for the kids and accountability for me!

c) committing to it

When I did L1 with my 7 yr old, at first we did 2-3 lessons per day, then I slowed down to 1 lesson per day with lots of review.

On L2 we did 1 lesson/day 3 days a week. 1 day was review of all rules & 1 day review of all mispelled words. I maintain a list of any words mispelled at the first try after learning the rule.

When we started at L1 I knew it would be easy but I did not want to miss out the basics.

I see you are doing AAS with your 9 yr old. May be she has Level-1 & 2 rules already nailed. Try the Level-3.

we are working below her level. I only have levels 1 and 2 and don't want to buy 3 until I see that it has more "meat" to it and can stretch the lessons out longer and also has more words in each step.

Denise,

Level 1 is easy, it really covers just the basics. Level 2 will have more meat, lots of dictation (love that), but my dd has gotten through it pretty quickly. I went through level 3 this weekend and really love what I am seeing. There is more meat in it.

If I can't I would like to challenge you that the focus of AAS is not the spelling list themselves, but the processes taught. Even if the words are easy you can focus on the process so the child is still learning principles to apply in spelling harder words.

In level 3 you have several new components, and new arrangements of old information. First they add an analyzing portion where it looks to me like you review the processes/rules and how to apply them. Next there is the writing station, the homophone list, the silent e book and the word banks, they are often covered in each step, but not always. There is no longer dictation of phrases, but now there are 12 sentences per step. I really like how she took the sound cards and pulled together all the ways to make the sound short A for example. In using SWR for roughly 3 years and AAS for one I still couldn't right off tell you all the letter combos that make the short A, or short O sounds yet this is the way we usually need to know the information for spelling. Good stuff.

I own levels 4 and 5 and they continue to add concepts.

My oldest was spelling at a 7th grade level when we started AAS, so the words are amusingly easy, but the concepts and procedures are what we focus on. She is learning.

Heather

I agree with everyone. The lower levels are easy, especially if you have an older child. My then 4-year-old went through the first half of level 1 quickly. I managed to spread it out because her attention span is shorter and we were busy with lots of other things. I think once you get to new, more challenging material you will be able to make the lessons last longer.

I think the problem we had with AAS is that my 9 yr olds could already spell all the words in the Level 4 book. But they didn't really know all the spelling rules and had problems with longer, harder words. They didn't really learn to apply the spelling rules in AAS because the words weren't hard enough. And at about $40 a level it was just cheaper to use HTTS and it has the more difficult words to apply the spelling rules. I have the ABC's... book but I just couldn't implement this resource.

Hopefully my youngest will like AAS! :)