Menu

What was this was called-speed reading machine from my elementary days

When I was in elementary, somewhere in 4th-6th grade, I remember going to a reading room where we did reading practice. We used these machines in which the story would scroll up (on paper). They could be adjusted for higher or lower speeds and were intended to increase our reading speed. I always liked them, and thought it would be cool to find one used somewhere. I'd like to do an online search, but don't know what they'd be called. For some reason it seems like the machine itself was red, but I could be mistaken.

I remember something like this from late elementary school. (This would have been the mid-1970s, so perhaps not the same program your school used.) The machine our school had was, I think, green and made of metal. I remember it looking like a film projector. You know, maybe it was a sort of projector, now that I think of it... It seems like the text was scrolled onto a small white screen of some sort.

For some reason I want to say the program was called S.R.A.??? Does that ring any bells?

I remember something like this from late elementary school. (This would have been the mid-1970s, so perhaps not the same program your school used.) The machine our school had was, I think, green and made of metal. I remember it looking like a film projector. You know, maybe it was a sort of projector, now that I think of it... It seems like the text was scrolled onto a small white screen of some sort.

For some reason I want to say the program was called S.R.A.??? Does that ring any bells?

Doesn't ring a bell, but I'll see if that gets any results online. My 4th-6th grade years would have been fall 1983-spring 1986, but it's not unlikely that they had older, used equipment--it was a small, brand new Christian school.

A search on SRA and reading led me to a Wikipedia page that says SRA is/was Science Research Associates, "a Chicago-based publisher of educational materials and reading comprehension products." They were bought in 1964 by IBM (this combo sounds ideal for making a reading machine, hmm?). SRA is the publisher of Direct Instruction programs, a.k.a. DISTAR (100 EZ Lessons uses a modified DISTAR approach).

The article is brief and doesn't mention a reading machine, but it looks promising.

Here's a thread from a forum somewhere that came up in a search. The thread is about speed reading and someone describes a "controlled reading machine" that was the projector type, and that his/her school also used SRA, which could be done in a student's spare time. I know that the one we had was not a projector. The text was printed on paper and you saw the actual paper scrolling up as you read.

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The machine I used was yellow about 8 x 11 in size. It was placed over the page of a book and a window closed over the page to make you read faster. The speed of the window dropping was controlled by a turn knob that clicked. This was an attempt to encourage a slow reader to build up speed. If anyone comes across this machine, I would love a picture of it.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread while searching for the same answer. We had one of these little machines (not the same at all as the projector in the link someone shared) ours was red and blue. You inserted a sheet of paper in it and set the knob the speed you wanted and it would pull the paper through while you read through a window. For the life of me I can’t figure out the name of it either.