Menu

Easy, fun preschool curriculum?

mo2

Obviously I don't want to put a lot of pressure on a 3yo. It needs to be fun. He watches the Leapfrog DVDs and plays around on starfall. He still does not have the ability/attention span to sit still for me to read him a book. What else can I be doing that would be fun?

My three year old is the most distractable little boy ever, and also has a hard time sitting for stories...although he will sit for Where the Wild Things Are, hmmmmm.

Anyway, he loves the Kumon books that allow him to cut and paste. Initially, he didn't care to follow any "rules" but just liked the process, iykwim. He has now progressed to at least trying to paste the pics he cuts out in the right spot and is proud of his finished product.

He is soooo different from my other dc at this age, and I suspect I will be taking everything a little slower with him to allow for those uncontrollable wiggles. :001_smile:

But I required both dc to sit for a picture book at that age.

Other than thAt... Library story times were a favorite here!

-Buy a chalkboard easle and chalk

-tons And tons of outdoors time... 3 hours per day minimum even when it was a major inconvenience to get out. Walks, laying around, digging in dirt, completely free time, bounce balls, sidewalk chalk, blow bubbles, look at books, have picnics, etc. Etc.

- once he is listening for picture books, B4FIAR

- Little Hands Art books

- Kumon toddler - I Can Cut, etc.

In the back of B4FIAR there is a great preschool treasury of ideas that is the best I have come across- if you can buy the book now, do. Then you can start the units when you are ready, and buy the books in the meantime.

http://Www.fiarhq.com

We are using lots of different things for ideas. Some of them are:

http://www.letteroftheweek.com (We are using ideas from the toddler level and all three of my kids love it.)

http://www.preschoolexpress.com (We've been doing a letter a week and using other ideas too. Very hands-on, which is what we love here.)

Montessori Read and Write (This is what I use for our preschool language arts. It is filled with fun activities and games and provides a wonderful foundation for future LA studies.)

Obviously I don't want to put a lot of pressure on a 3yo. It needs to be fun. He watches the Leapfrog DVDs and plays around on starfall. He still does not have the ability/attention span to sit still for me to read him a book. What else can I be doing that would be fun?

Try short books with one sentence on each page. Rhyming or repeating books are good. Some children like books with photographs in them.

Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See is a good book

Sing

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, Ba Ba Black Sheep etc.

Leave prewriting things out. chalk, Magnadoodle, crayons, colored pencils,

I did a "letter of the week" thing at that age (with two boys 3 and 5). I just picked a letter and we did things that started with it. For example for P...

visited my Mom's pottery studio and used the pottery wheel

played with playdough

had a "pancake party"

finger painted P posters and hung them up around the house.

and we would get books from the library about animals that started with that letter -- like lots of Penguin and Panda books.

For my 5 year old I added in more but for my 3 year old that was plenty. Art & craft projects, field trips, library books, playing with legos and trains, and as a previous poster mentioned, lots of time playing outside. We also got a membership to the nearby Children's Museum and started group music/keyboard classes at Yamaha Children's Music Center.

Starfall and the LeapFrog DVDs were big hits here, along with, Leap Pad books and A LOT of reading time with mom and dad.

Have fun!!