Menu

Confused..Dr's office called and said my U/S was "benign"???

Okay, why would they use that word? I had an U/S because I was late for my period for the first time and had a neg preg blood test. He sent me for one basically to ease my mind.

I called the office to see if he read the U/S. The tech said she found nothing. Only my endo lining was thickened and it looked like I was going to get a period.

When the office called me, she said "Preg HCG test was negative and the U/S was benign, he is sending you out a letter". She asked if I wanted to come in and discuss any concerns I had, and I said yes. I am going in later this afternoon.

I know benign means normal, meaning not cancerous. Were they looking at something that was cancer? Why didn't they just say "U/S was clear" or "normal"??? I hate that word Benign, unless they saw something and didn't tell me.

Well that lady at the office is weird. You know, most people associate the word benign with cancer. I am going to make sure I bring that up to my GYN.

She could give someone a heart attack. Especially someone like me with health Anxiety!!!. Geez Louise....LOL.

I am glad it is 'benign", but geesh. We could have used "clear" or "normal".

I agree with the others, and believe everything is fine, but if it's going to wake you up in the middle of the night, wondering what she meant by "benign," just call the office and ask for clarification. I'm sure the woman will be very nice about it, and it might subtly help her realize that she might phrase things a bit differently when she speaks with the next patient.

Let's face it, most of us are nervous about test results, so I'm sure the woman didn't intend to make you worry, but if you are at all concerned, please call her right away and put your mind at ease. I'm sure she won't mind a bit, and you will feel better.

Cat

It doens't mean that they were looking at something that was cancer, just that they didn't see anything indicative of abnormal activity. Whoever called you just prefers to say benign vs. normal or clear.

:iagree: I wouldn't think anything of the word benign as opposed to normal or clear. It just means nothing harmful was found.

Not to freak anyone out, but "benign" and "normal" aren't necessarily the same thing.

I have some weird spots in my mammogram. They aren't cancerous. They aren't cysts. They aren't "normal". "Normal" would mean they weren't there at all, LOL. They are "benign", meaning they are little lumps of whatever that are not harmful.

Now, why are they "benign" instead of "normal for ME"? Because they haven't been there all of my life. If they had (and also weren't cancerous or anything else bad), they would simply be "normal for me", not "benign". Does that make sense?

So yes, ask your doctor what he or she really is trying to tell you, but "benign" and "normal" do not normally mean the same thing, medically.

a

I agree with the others, and believe everything is fine, but if it's going to wake you up in the middle of the night, wondering what she meant by "benign," just call the office and ask for clarification. I'm sure the woman will be very nice about it, and it might subtly help her realize that she might phrase things a bit differently when she speaks with the next patient.

Let's face it, most of us are nervous about test results, so I'm sure the woman didn't intend to make you worry, but if you are at all concerned, please call her right away and put your mind at ease. I'm sure she won't mind a bit, and you will feel better.

Cat

Most office staff who call with these things don't pick their phrases. Usually, they are reading right off the doctor's notes. I would ask the doctor and clarify whose words were used in the phone call. The way the OP wrote the message, it sounds as if the office person was either reading the doctor's notes or quoting him directly.

I wouldn't think anything of the word benign as opposed to normal or clear. It just means nothing harmful was found.

Absolutely. It was simply a mistake in translation. The medical world is used to thinking in technical jargon, and this person simply forgot to switch on their mental Berlitz translator. :)

I try, when dealing with a patient I don't know, to toss out a technical word now and then. If I get a bright eyed response, I knock my vocab up a notch. If I get a very blank response, I may slow down and simplify.

One of my favourite cartoons is a man coming to the door and telling the homeowner "I'm here to install your caller IQ". I hate to insult people by being simple and hate to look pompous by talking over their heads....the person who talked to you sort of complimented you!