Menu

Shocker for us today... ER found out today that

the music program at his college (where he is a music major!) is being eliminated as of the end of this academic year! Most of the music department faculty members will be terminated at the end of THIS semester, leaving only a bare-bones faculty so as to accommodate the seniors who will graduate next spring. After this year the college will offer NO music degrees. :confused:

I'm afraid this sort of thing is happening all over though. The community college I work for dropped several degree and certificate programs in 2009 including the department I used to work for. I was able to transition over, but I feel sorry for the affected students!

What in the world is he gonna do?!

(I mean, I realize that's probably what you and he are both thinking, LOL. But seriously, what is he gonna do?! That totally stinks!)

We're reeling from the news, as you might imagine. ER has no idea where to go from here, but he is trying to be obedient. It was such an answer to prayer for him to be where he is, so I am completely baffled now! I don't know what God is doing, but I know He's always at work, so we'll just have to trust Him.

When I was a freshman in college my university dropped my major. I was pretty devastated. But I transferred schools (to one I never would have picked originally), lost some credits, had a great experience, got my degree, met my husband, and on. It all worked out. Is there another school option?

When I was a freshman in college my university dropped my major. I was pretty devastated. But I transferred schools (to one I never would have picked originally), lost some credits, had a great experience, got my degree, met my husband, and on. It all worked out. Is there another school option?

I think the scholarship offer was actually good for two years, so he could go there if he wanted to. I'm not sure he would want to do that though. He's just not at all sure how to proceed at this point.

Oh, my! That is a shock!!!

Our son is changing programs, but can't get good financial aid at colleges that would be better for his new major. He will continue at his college (where he has many, many friends and will be happy to stay.)

That would be amazing if the other college's offer is still available!

I will pray for you guys to know God's will and to stay calm until then! (((Hugs))))

I would think it would be more ethical to slowly discontinue a program, not admitting any more students, and terminating it when ALL the accepted students in that major were done. Or trying to help find them an alternative school. Accepting kids then pulling their major is so wrong! I am sure the college KNEW it was considering this when they accepted more kids into the major - these decisions do not just "happen".

I would think it would be more ethical to slowly discontinue a program, not admitting any more students, and terminating it when ALL the accepted students in that major were done. Or trying to help find them an alternative school. Accepting kids then pulling their major is so wrong! I am sure the college KNEW it was considering this when they accepted more kids into the major - these decisions do not just "happen".

I agree with you!

I knew a girl who went to a university for nursing and after she entered it was announced that her class would be the last. They had had the program for decades! The univ. did what you wrote but it was still a strange situation. Kinda like being the last guests shoved out the door at the end of a party...

It was the decision of the board of trustees, which met last Thursday (my birthday, for crying out loud!). I don't see how they could've come to this decision in that one-day meeting. I think it had to have been something they've been considering for some time.

I suspect you are right that the knew that this was a possibility. I work at a small college, in a music department, and these are very scary times to be working in higher education. No one on our campus got a cost of living increase or raise this year (and colleges set their own rates of pay, so an electrician on campus will earn far less than one out there in the "real world"), and there was fear and trembling as we waited to see how many we'd have in the freshman class. A small class would mean positions and programs slashed. Curiously, we have a larger freshman class than ever. I suspect that at ER's school they were waiting for the same information about the freshman class to make the decision they were already considering.

It seems like the arts are always the first to go. Sad.

Am I confusing ER with another poster's son? Did he start at a different school and transfer to this one for music? At any rate, how disappointing.

Will the school refund any lost credits in the process of transferring? I would think that they would be liable if they are ethical since that money would be wasted due to their actions. It is like they broke a deal so to speak:(

:grouphug:

Most colleges these days have a lot of legalese in the admissions documents and/or catolog that don't guarantee availability of particular classes, degree programs, or employment after graduation. Even state schools carry various types of liability insurance that allow them legally defend themselves when they have to back out of certain things if it's documented clearly. My college let students know last May that my department would be offering their last classes in August 2008 with no more starting in January 2009.

I'm guessing that this had been brewing for a long time. Even in better times, I know that the college I work for was constantly looking at the enrollment numbers and expense of each program.

I think the scholarship offer was actually good for two years, so he could go there if he wanted to. I'm not sure he would want to do that though. He's just not at all sure how to proceed at this point.

Sorry if this is terribly blunt, but you'd better check and see if that offer is still good. If it is, grab it NOW. There are cut-backs everywhere, especially on scholarships. Don't count on another one coming your way.

In the end, it matters very little from which school you get your degree in most subjects, as long as it is an accredited instutitution.

Sorry if this is terribly blunt, but you'd better check and see if that offer is still good. If it is, grab it NOW. There are cut-backs everywhere, especially on scholarships. Don't count on another one coming your way.

In the end, it matters very little from which school you get your degree in most subjects, as long as it is an accredited instutitution.

I totally agree. I would also look into the financial stability of the school that offered the scholarship -- so many schools are suffering. You don't want to end up at another place that is a sinking ship. The college where I work makes all its information fairly public, in terms of their endowment, etc.

They probably made this announcement after the last day to withdraw from classes, too. If the courses he needs for his degree are being cut, I would say get him out at the end of the semester and spend the spring re-grouping. You don't want to end up spending money on courses next semester that may transfer as credit but don't count toward a music degree. At the college where I work, students have a very rigorous schedule, and the requirements are pretty intense. Transfer students often end up needing extra semesters because of performance / theory / etc. requirements.

I'm sorry this happened, for the sake of the students and for all the faculty and staff at that school. Scary times.

I work for a state institution. Enrollment is way up (it's a commuter college), but the state funding is way, way down. Most students don't know that their tuition is only a part of the whole picture, and even with more students, the state cuts are so deep that everything is on the block. There's supposed to be some Federal Stimulus funds coming, but last I heard, not in time for the January term. They haven't even published a draft fall schedule yet, and I only confirmed that I'm employed at all in January by a round-about way. I had several students worried last night about getting the classes they need.

Sad, isn't?

the music program at his college (where he is a music major!) is being eliminated as of the end of this academic year! Most of the music department faculty members will be terminated at the end of THIS semester, leaving only a bare-bones faculty so as to accommodate the seniors who will graduate next spring. After this year the college will offer NO music degrees. :confused:

No child left behind.