Menu

Textbook for writing/language arts?

Michelle T

I know textbooks are not the most popular choice for many people here, but my son requests and prefers using texts. When it comes to academics, he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, but easily bored.

I am looking for a secular, complete, textbook-based writing/grammar program. Something reasonably enjoyable, with a decent, colorful student text, and easy enough to teach. I do not require super-rigorous grammar, but the basics are good. He needs writing assignments that are clearly explained to the student, with instruction broken down into fairly small chunks.

I seem to gravitate towards Voyages In English, but fear that is too advanced for my son. He is 13, but on around a 5th grade level due to severe LD's. Advanced grammar concepts are waaaaay beyond him at this point.

Suggestions? Anyone know of a good, secular, language arts/writing textbook that would fit my description?

Thanks!

Michelle T

Ha, apparently only Michelles are allowed in this thread. When my oldest was in second grade, we used a text called World of Language by Silver Burdett Ginn, who I believe is now part of Scott Foresman, who is part of Pearson...so I can't promise it's still in print. I know they usually have them used on ebay. It's reading, grammar and composition combined. We loved it. We just had the text and the Writer's Activity workbook.

I'm going to second Write Source. We are using it for the second year. I really like how the writing portion is broken down into small steps. The Teacher's Manual is nice for the lesson plans, but not required at all. Not sure its worth the price. That being said--I haven't used the grammar portion of the program--just the small bit of grammar in the writing books. If you are familiar with grammar and feel comfortable teaching it, than that amount of grammar might work for you.

I seem to gravitate towards Voyages In English, but fear that is too advanced for my son. He is 13, but on around a 5th grade level due to severe LD's. Advanced grammar concepts are waaaaay beyond him at this point.

Hi Michelle! :seeya:

Actually, VIE was exactly what I was going to suggest. What about getting a grade 5 one? Bet you can find one of the older editions online cheap and use it for the writing and the grammar mechanics portion (capitalization, punctuation, etc.) at a slowed down rate. And how about Winston Basic for grammar instruction -- it is so gentle! We only needed to take about 10 minutes a day to either introduce or review the lesson concepts and then do 3-4 sentences to keep it very slow and gentle.

Cheers! Lori D.