Menu

History and science

Sasharowan

My dd will be in 5th next year. This year we are doing History Odyssey Modern times 1 and REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry. HO works for my ds8, but dd10 is finding the reading too much especially if she has to read something else for Eng. They are both liking the science, but I feel it is too easy for dd. Are there any other programs out there that are secular with less reading for history or are beefier for science?

Thanks

I am not familiar with either of those programs, but to make science "meatier" for my ds 11 I've added in extra experiments. I have a number of Science in a Nutshell kits, I pull out one that is related to the topic and have him work on that in addition. I have also added in extra related reading.

Probably not what you were really looking for, but this is how I've dealt with a similar issue.

My dd will be in 5th next year. This year we are doing History Odyssey Modern times 1 and REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry. HO works for my ds8, but dd10 is finding the reading too much especially if she has to read something else for Eng. They are both liking the science, but I feel it is too easy for dd. Are there any other programs out there that are secular with less reading for history or are beefier for science?

Thanks

Hopefully someone else will have an idea, but the only history program I can think of that won't have reading will be a textbook based program. And even then, there will be reading.

What is she reading in English? Can you combine that reading, which I'm assuming is literature, with the books in history? My dd11 is using HO Ancients II. We are reading The Golden Goblet right now. She doesn't have any other literature assigned at this moment. I feel the reading in history is sufficient.

What is she reading in English? Can you combine that reading, which I'm assuming is literature, with the books in history? My dd11 is using HO Ancients II. We are reading The Golden Goblet right now. She doesn't have any other literature assigned at this moment. I feel the reading in history is sufficient.

She reads books from history for literature usually. Right now she is reading the Little House in the Big Woods. Math is her strong suit and I keep expecting her reading level to be higher than it is because the boys read better. I think I just need to keep reminding myself to stop expecting her to read better just because she is older.

The boys are like me and would rather read or do something on the computer, she takes after Dad and likes math and sports. Incomprehensible.

I think I just need to keep reminding myself to stop expecting her to read better just because she is older.

What do you mean by 'better'? read more books? have better comprehension?

The boys are like me and would rather read or do something on the computer, she takes after Dad and likes math and sports. Incomprehensible.

I can't see your face so I'm not sure if you are being serious or funny. An inclination towards mathematics is nothing to look down upon. My youngest dd is similar to your dd. She loves math and doesn't read nearly as much as DH and I do. But she rocks in math, word problems and logic. I know she can read. She just prefers numbers over letters, and always has.

What do you mean by 'better'? read more books? have better comprehension?.

Read more I guess. She finds most books boring. The ones she does like still takes her longer to read than I originally thought she would take and a good part of that is she will put off reading until almost bedtime and then run out of time. She has done better this week since I realized that A. the book she was reading was off big brother's list and got her one off of her list and B. reinstituted reading time before bedtime.

I can't see your face so I'm not sure if you are being serious or funny. An inclination towards mathematics is nothing to look down upon. My youngest dd is similar to your dd. She loves math and doesn't read nearly as much as DH and I do. But she rocks in math, word problems and logic. I know she can read. She just prefers numbers over letters, and always has.
I am kinda joking. I'm not looking down on her, but I grew up in a house where everyone read. I would check out 20 chapter books from the library and finish them in a week at her age. Dh is from a family where he is considered the reader of the family. He might read 3-4 books a year. I find the boys sneaking books after lights out, dd sneaks math pages. They get the same penalty for sneaking, but there is a part of me going "MAth Pages?" I think my main problem is that I have all these wonderful books I loved and dd isn't interested in them and the boys think they are girly. I need to get over myself.

If your dd loves numbers, has she read Phantom Tollbooth? Dd loved that one.