Menu

Writing for science?

smrtmama

Most of the writing talked about on these boards is humanities-based writing, but writing papers in the sciences is a completely different ballgame. Does anyone have some good resources for teaching writing for science?

I've found a few sites that offer some guidelines for writing scientific essays/papers, but they're mainly geared towards college students or professionals -- definitely rhetoric stage learning:

http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/llonline/writing/science/index.xml

http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/sciences.html#2

Any [secular] books, websites, etc. you could suggest for logic stage learners? I'd love to start integrating some formal science writing into our science lab program as we move forward over the next year or two.

as a scientist, this is near and dear to my heart. Most books are geared for college students because the general supposition is that younger students just are not doing it. However, you should be able to look at the text and see the main parts of a scientific paper and then explain them to your child. Each of the sciences has their own "style" but the basic parts are the same:

Abstract

Introduction

Materials and Methods

Results

Discussion

Conclusion

If you need more help or want me to detail out the parts, just let me know.

as a scientist, this is near and dear to my heart. Most books are geared for college students because the general supposition is that younger students just are not doing it. However, you should be able to look at the text and see the main parts of a scientific paper and then explain them to your child. Each of the sciences has their own "style" but the basic parts are the same:

Abstract

Introduction

Materials and Methods

Results

Discussion

Conclusion

If you need more help or want me to detail out the parts, just let me know.

I'm glad that this is a subject upon which I do not stand alone! I long in my heart for a science writing program like the language arts and history writing programs out there. I can write a scientific paper (collegiately, anyway) but I really wish for child-geared books and materials on the importance of writing to the scientific community using proper science terminology (and let's not even get into the whole notion of things being "just" a theory and how rampant that seems to be).

I think this would be easy enough to use with a mid-logic, or logic stage child.

link

Good question, BTW. There are also many experiment description type pages available which will give a good foundation for pre-scientific paper writing.

(like the pages in Noeo, or REAL, and maybe Elemental Science) :)

Any [secular] books, websites, etc. you could suggest for logic stage learners? I'd love to start integrating some formal science writing into our science lab program as we move forward over the next year or two.

I like how the WTM lays out science learning/writing/experimenting, in all three stages of schooling. I also like SWB's teaching CD from Peace Hill Press. It's called Science in the Classical Curriculum, and she gives some ideas on how to teach your kids in each stage (it was different, and therefore, worth the money to me, than WTM - additional perspective/info.). How to help them observe in grammar stage and how to write about that, how to discern between different books in logic stage and how to write about that, and I can't remember now what she said about rhetoric stage. But the info. about using the scientific method beginning in logic stage in WTM, and on the CD, were very helpful to me.

I like how the WTM lays out science learning/writing/experimenting, in all three stages of schooling. I also like SWB's teaching CD from Peace Hill Press. It's called Science in the Classical Curriculum, and she gives some ideas on how to teach your kids in each stage (it was different, and therefore, worth the money to me, than WTM - additional perspective/info.). How to help them observe in grammar stage and how to write about that, how to discern between different books in logic stage and how to write about that, and I can't remember now what she said about rhetoric stage. But the info. about using the scientific method beginning in logic stage in WTM, and on the CD, were very helpful to me.

I agree, it's a good CD. :)

I have been learning so much about teaching science from this forum during the past week or so. I've also developed a new appreciation for how fast Amazon delivers!

Here is a book I have read this week that you might like - it's purpose is to encourage scientific thinking & writing to elementary students through the use of a scientific notebook. It is called Science Notebooks: Writing About Inquiry.

I just put this one in my shopping cart - it may be exactly what you are looking for:

Writing in Science: How to Scaffold Instruction to Support Learning

I'll be watching this thread with interest!

IMHO we don't give that the focus we should. I spent hours writing lab reports in college, and then had to keep meticulous lab books when I was in scientific research. In college I couldn't have done it without studying the lab books of students who were ahead of me and without already being a decent writer. Then in my research job, I was actually mentored on how to document my work.

Edited by GVA