Menu

Odd moles... and the stupid things I did as a teen...

I have this mole that is changing a bit. It is developing small cracks and peeling, although it isn't dry skin. Anyone else have this happen?

And yes, yes, I'm going to see the doctor, esp. because my mom had skin cancer last summer. I have fair skin and blue eyes, and I did some very stupid things as a teen. My gf and I used Crisco oil as suntan lotion. The thought still makes me shake my head! We would slather the stuff on, and climb a ladder to soak up the rays on the black roof of our garage. Oh, we spent hours there, almost daily, and always at the sun's peak hours. I have burned bad about 6 or 7 times, with huge blisters forming. The spot where this mole is, happens to be the spot that always burned first. If you're female, you can imagine wearing a bikini and lying down face up, that area of sensitive skin directly below the chest band.

ETA: yes, by doctor I meant the dermatologist. :o)

Edited by specialmama

Ugh. I know what you mean. I'm a redhead and although I didn't suntan as a teen, I still got burnt....often. I didn't have sunscreen like I do now. I'm dreading the appearance of those weird spots that need to be looked at. I hope everything goes okay and they are able to remove it with no problem.

You mentioned doctor--make sure you see a dermatologist specifically. And have him/her do a full body check and not just that spot. You probably need that regularly given your personal and family history. I had a weird peeling spot (not a mole though--an ingrown hair type place that had been there forever) and it was some skin condition. My point there are other options and no use worrying. But do see a dermatologist. Regular doctors miss skin cancer way too often.

You mentioned doctor--make sure you see a dermatologist specifically. And have him/her do a full body check and not just that spot. You probably need that regularly given your personal and family history. I had a weird peeling spot (not a mole though--an ingrown hair type place that had been there forever) and it was some skin condition. My point there are other options and no use worrying. But do see a dermatologist. Regular doctors miss skin cancer way too often.

:iagree:

I have had over 20 moles removed(excised), so it is not that big of a deal. But you do need to have a Derm, and have a full skin check.

Not sure how small it is, but I would ask for either a punch biopsy(one stitch and they can usually get it all) or a complete excision. I am not a fan of shave biopsies. They have a higher incidence of false negatives, and some the pigment is left behind.

Let us know how you make out. I am sure everything is fine.

My mole that was stage 2b melanoma looked like that. I'm not trying to frighten you, but if you can bypass a regular doctor and get to a derm, I'd do that.

I'm fair and blue-eyed, too. And, I used baby oil to baste myself at the beach. *shaking head* I have an 8 inch scar on my arm from my melanoma surgery. Don't mess with this. Better to be safe than sorry. Melanoma can kill.

Ugh. I know what you mean. I'm a redhead and although I didn't suntan as a teen, I still got burnt....often. I didn't have sunscreen like I do now. I'm dreading the appearance of those weird spots that need to be looked at. I hope everything goes okay and they are able to remove it with no problem.

I'm a redhead too, and I'm always looking for those spots! I really need to go back to the derm for a mole patrol too, but...haven't. I only had a a burn or two that made an impression as a kid, and I mostly kept out of the sun, but still, it doesn't take much.

:grouphug: I hope you get in quickly and get it figured out!

Guest janainaz

I moved to CA when I was 11 and got horrible sunburns every year. My mother should have banned me from the beach after seeing the aftermath, but she didn't. Somehow I ended up with friends with olive-toned skin and they tanned beautifully while I fried out there like an egg. I also spent 10 years in tanning beds. I was addicted to being tan. Oh, the ignorance.

Without a doubt, it will all catch up with me and I'll be a frequent visitor of the dermotologist in years to come. When you are a fair-skinned person, you just can't damage your skin that way without repercussions in the future. I stay out of the sun as much as possible. Your post was my reminder I need to get in to see the Dermotologist again. I went years ago, had one mole removed and few others checked out. I do have one under my bra line - that area you mentioned - that changes shape and color, but I had it checked years ago and was told it was fine. I really should go have it looked at again.

My first sunburn was before I was one year old (father stationed in Hawaii).

I am under 40 and see a dermatologist annually for the full-body check. I've had one mole removed that was pre-cancerous.

Check especially any moles on your palms or soles of your feet. Any there can switch to cancerous very quickly.

Seeing a dermatologist seems easier than seeing my regular doctor - and skin cancers are relatively easy to treat if you catch them early, so if you're fair-skinned and have a history of burns, get a dermatologist and see them annually!