Menu

The "Chiro Bill From Hell" - too snarky?

Dear Business Office,

It is time again for the inaccurate billing from your business office. Please use the following receipts to correct your records.

Date of Service: 1/14/2009 Inaccurately billed $1.26 on statement date 10/1/2009. As you can see from the records provided in attachments A B and C, I was billed and paid $10.80 co-pay on 1/14/2009. I also was billed and paid $31.14 on statement date 3/11/2009. (You will notice that the receipt attached is for the amount billed on that statement and equals a total of $105.48. which includes the subtotal of $31.14 for 3/11/2009). The math is 41.94 (which as you can see from attachment D is what is what I owe as a patient) – 10.80 – 31.14 = 0. Please take the $1.26 billed off of my statement. I would like an amended receipt showing that this error has been corrected.

Date of Service: 2/11/2009 Inaccurately billed $31.14 on statement date 10/1/2009. As you can see from the records provided in attachments E, F and G, I was billed and paid $10.80 co-pay on 2/11/2009. I was also billed and paid $31.14 on statement date 3/11/2009. (You will notice that the receipt attached is for the amount billed on that statement – the portion for 2/11/09 is $31.14). The math is 41.91 (which is as you can see from attachment H is what I owe as a patient) – 10.80 – 31.14 = 0. Please take the $31.14 billed off of my statement. I would like an amended receipt showing that this error has been corrected.

Date of Service: 3/11/2009 – I paid this bill in full at the office on that date as shown in attachments I, J and K. I notice that part of this amount has been charge haphazardly to the date of service for 1/14/2009 which is incorrect. The reason why this date has not shown up on the invoice for 10/1/2009 is because it has already been paid in full.

The odd sum of $19.08 applied to the 1/14/09 date of service on 3/23/09 is one that I am unable to find in my records. But as I stated above, that cannot be correct because the bill for that date was already paid in full. I suspect that I might find it in one of the bills for other family members that are still waiting for me to go through and correct.

The billing for 4/8, 5/6, 6/12, 7/6, 7/18, 8/6 and 9/3/2009 are all correct. And I will gladly pay the correct sum of $228.78. I would like a detailed receipt showing that this bill for those dates has been paid so that I will have proof when I am billed for them again.

If you notice a “tone” in my letter, you will be correct as I have had to correct every single bill sent to me in the four years my family and I have been a patient at this clinic. I suspect that I will have to go over this again, when I next receive a bill in about 6 months. In the meantime, I will keep meticulous records so that I will be able to show you exactly what your records should have recorded.

Sincerely,

I will have to do the equivalent correcting and documenting for two other pending bills from the same office - for different family members.

We have a continuous flow of medical bills in our mailbox, and I've gotten to the point that I check every single one. Some offices are worse than others, and we actually found in several cases that the doctor was not aware of how bad the billing people were. In another case, the level of billing problems and errors on the part of his medical assistant got to the point that we changed doctors because he knew about it but didn't seem to want to deal with it (he is one of three senior partners in a practice of seven).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If I were you, I would go to the clinic in person, receipts in hand, and sit down with their billing person. I would wait until I was ready for all of the family members, and I would bring detailed notes with me.

I would not trust anything to a letter at this point, and I would not trust them to follow this much detail and get it right. I think you would be setting yourself up for more frustration when they STILL don't get it right after this letter.

I know how frustrations can build through something like this happening over and over.

Why do you continue to go to these people if they are so incompetent?

Because this is the most absolutely best chiropractor I have gone to in my life. A chiropractor has to be very good not to cause me severe injury because of my fibromyalgia and this Dr. is the best. (I did leave for one year in frustration and came back because I could not find a Dr. as good and because the Dr. called me personally to tell me that he had fired the last book-keeper.) This Dr. is very concerned about the book-keeper problems and has asked me to let him know about every detail. I have seen him take the information and sit down with the business office staff to talk about the problems. The main problem is that the head book-keeper was hired by "corporate" (this chiro office is part of a "franchise" of sorts) and he can't do much about her.

If I were you, I would go to the clinic in person, receipts in hand, and sit down with their billing person. I would wait until I was ready for all of the family members, and I would bring detailed notes with me.

I was planning to go in person when we have an appointment with the Dr. I would show him the letter and my "attachments", as he has asked me to do so. Then I would take the letter and attachments personally down to the billing office and hand it to them. I would go over it with them. I will be unfailing polite and will bite my tongue till it bleeds so as not to be actually snarky in person. I will take my payment for the amount that I truly owe. And I will insist on an itemized receipt to take home with me.