Menu

Neighbour/Dog Issue

Diva plays with three sisters that live in our complex. They're pretty good on the whole, sometimes language is a bit inappropriate, but good kids. :001_smile:

That said.

Eldest girl shows up at my door last night. She asks me if we have an extra collar and leash. :confused: I told her no, we'd bought Cassie an adjustable collar when we got her, and she hasn't outgrown that yet, and the 2nd leash we did have fell apart long ago. We've actually had three...one that was retractable, and that died in the first month, then one we'd had with our pug that died two years ago, and that fell apart, due to age and use. The girl is visibly disappointed, and tells me they just got a pit bull puppy.

Whoa. Hold the phone.

First, if you're getting ANY animal, you should have the necessary items for the pet...not showing up at a neighbours for something as essential as a collar and leash! And if you aren't able to ensure you have that basic a need, you shouldn't be getting a pet, let alone a breed of dog like a pit bull, which by its very nature NEEDS consistency and training to ensure they're well socialized, etc!

I asked Diva about it (she'd been in the tub when the girl came to the door) thinking she might have offered ie: If you ever get a dog, we have an extra leash kind of thing, and nope, she'd never said anything like that. She suggested that she'd walked Cassie with the other girls, and had used the older leash (now broken and tossed) when she hadn't been able to find the one we'd bought when we got the collar, crate, bowls, etc on our way to get Cassie. She tells me their mom is a single parent, and might have been hoping we had extras to save money.

I told Wolf about it, and his reaction was, "Great. An untrained pitbull in the neighbourhood. Just what we need." :glare:

To be honest, that's my reaction as well. If you can't pick up a collar and leash when getting a puppy, and if you're trying to save money on a collar and leash, are you going to be able to manage the other needs, ie getting it fixed? What are the chances you're going to give it the time and training it needs? There are some breeds that don't need as much work as others, granted...but a PIT BULL isn't one of them, at least in my mind! :glare: In fact, its a restricted breed in our city, and I'm betting that they don't intend to licence it, etc, because its incredibly expensive!

I'm praying even more fervently now that God provides a way for us to be able to afford to purchase a home on an acreage soon! Maybe that's an overreaction, but that's genuinely how I feel about it.

ETA: This is from our city's bylaw page:

Licence

The licence fee for a restricted dog is $227 per year and the dog must have a valid licence. $250 Insurance You must have a minimum of $1 million liability insurance that specifically covers damages for personal injury caused by the restricted dog.

$500

Off Property of Owner If you take the restricted dog off your property, you must ensure it is:

• Under control
  • Muzzled
  • Held on a leash no longer than two metres

$500

On Property of Owner When the restricted dog is on your own property, you must have it kept one of the following ways at all times:

• Indoors
  • Outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen
  • Outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property

$500

Attacks* Property damage

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal causing physical injury

$500

$500

$2500

Edited by Impish
last number is 2500, not 25.

I could...Problem is, I don't want to cause trouble for this family. If reported to the condo assoc, they'd probably get evicted, and/or face all the city fines.

Neither do I want an untrained pit bull in the neighbourhood.

That's where I'm stuck.

I'm HOPING that someone that knows them will give them a heads up about the issues of owning a pit bull. I don't know the Mom at all, so I just can't think of a scenario that it wouldn't come off wrong if I approached her about it.

Ugh.

Go to the family with the above information and make sure they know how much liability they are undertaking...and that they are law-breaking if they do not meet the requirements. You MIGHT be able to convince the single mom that the dog is not worth the effort/money. You can just say you heard about it from the kids. After all, your kids play with her kids, you do need to meet each other anyway.

I'm worried if I say something, the kids might get upset with Diva. Honestly, they're pretty much the only girls in the neighbourhood that she's allowed to play with...the other girl is horrid...amongst other things, I heard her under my bedroom window talking about how she made her boyfriend let her perform o*al s*x. She's 12. So I really don't want this dog to cost Diva her friendship with these girls.

I unfortunately talked to her about it, but have asked her not to say anything...I'm going to print out the bylaw page and get Wolf to slip it in their mailbox tonight, that way the kids won't be upset with Diva when/if their puppy ends up being rehomed.

My family back home has 2 wonderful Pit Bulls! They are good dogs and maybe this mom, dispite what you may think at this point, can provide what this breed needs. I fail to understand why everyone blames this breed for what people do to it. Coco and Simba are the best dogs that I have ever seen and were breed to be gentle. Sadly, Coco has gotten out of her yard (someone left the gate open) and a neighbor (that knew who she belonged to) shot her in her back...if she had been any other breed she would not have been hurt so thoughtlessly. She made it but after much money to heal her and still suffers to this day with problems with her hips. :confused: We never hear of all the Pits that live happy and uneventful lives and that are valued and loved members of a family....just the tragedy. This is NOT to minimize those horrible events so please do not take it that way. I just think that to many people have a fear of this breed without getting to know it. I have meet ones that I am afraid of but that is due to the stupid owners...not the dog.

My family back home has 2 wonderful Pit Bulls! They are good dogs and maybe this mom, dispite what you may think at this point, can provide what this breed needs. I fail to understand why everyone blames this breed for what people do to it. Coco and Simba are the best dogs that I have ever seen and were breed to be gentle. Sadly, Coco has gotten out of her yard (someone left the gate open) and a neighbor (that knew who she belonged to) shot her in her back...if she had been any other breed she would not have been hurt so thoughtlessly. She made it but after much money to heal her and still suffers to this day with problems with her hips. :confused: We never hear of all the Pits that live happy and uneventful lives and that are valued and loved members of a family....just the tragedy. This is NOT to minimize those horrible events so please do not take it that way. I just think that to many people have a fear of this breed without getting to know it. I have meet ones that I am afraid of but that is due to the stupid owners...not the dog.

:iagree:

The breed makes no difference. It's all in how the dog is raised. But they really should buy a collar and leash for a dog.

I have to add my 2 cents--

I agree that each individual dog has to be given a chance--but that this particular owner seems to fit the profile for someone who is not going to raise this particular dog with the structure and training that is needed by most pitties. She has already shown herself irresponsible by getting a dog without getting the necessary equipment.

I'm so sorry the girl in the situation is your dd's only playmate. I would rather my dd not play with someone than play with someone who has a potentially dangerous animal in their house. I also would slip the notice into their mailbox, meet the mom (would do this anyway, even if they didn't have a dog), and see if the family follows thru on obeying the law. If they didn't, I would not want my dd to interact with them anymore, since I wouldn't trust the parents, no matter how lonely my dd might be. It would be really hard for me to follow thru on that, since I am still dealing with my own tendency to avoid doing hard things with regard to what I see as denying my kid happiness for the sake of good discipline, "doing the right thing," or safety. Don't know if it's an issue for you, but I'm become quite aware of my failings--tending to placate my kids rather than bear their discomfort. Anyway, good luck, and tell us how it works out.

I second the sentiment not to blame the breed. I have known some pitts who were raised correctly and turned out to be loving pets, good with children.

Pitts are very easy to train. Easier than most dogs, in fact. To make them mean one must do so deliberately. I would be more concerned if it were a chow.

Is it possible that the mother told the children "I'll get the collar and leash on my way home from work next time," or something similar and the girls are just impatient? Maybe someone gave them the puppy and she didn't have time to get the collar & leash just yet. When I brought our Great Dane puppy home, I didn't have a collar/leash for about 2 weeks and I don't consider myselve to be an irresponsible pet owner. The pup stayed close to me and until he gained confidence there was no need to restrain him.

Judging the mother because she is single and perhaps struggling is not going to help the situation. Go over and talk with her, befriend her, figure out what the situation is for yourself. Guessing and contemplating calling the city before anything even happens seems knee-jerk and a bit of overkill, IMO.

I am a big dog lover. I don't mind people owning well trained pit bulls, or not so well trained ones - as long as they are caring for them properly. That includes having the proper equipment and the proper housing/fencing etc. If they don't have those, it doesn't matter the breed, you are asking for trouble.

I recently called authorities on our neighbors after their pit bulls escaped from their yard 3 times in 2 weeks. No collar on them, they chased my son across our yard and then growled and chased any animal in sight. Come to find out they also didn't have any vaccinations either. I was able to call anonymously and file a complaint. They seemed friendly enough until anything got within 6 feet of them.

I respect dogs and dog owners, and try not to stereotype any dog but the safety pf my children and family comes first. In the meantime, my children would not be playing there. Actually, our rule is that our children don't play with anyone who has an untrained dog in the house or one in the yard that can't be put in a kennel while the kids are playing.

I have to disagree about the pit bulls. There is a reason they are restricted in many cities. You don't often hear about a golden retriever or chocolate lab that grabbed a 3 year old's head in a death grip and wouldn't let go. My aunt was walking her cockapoo, and a pit bull, who was supposedly "a gentle and well behaved" dog, got out of his fence and attacked the cockapoo and ripped half of his leg off. My aunt had scooped her dog up in the air, but the pit bull jumped up and grabbed its leg.

I have to disagree about the pit bulls. There is a reason they are restricted in many cities. You don't often hear about a golden retriever or chocolate lab that grabbed a 3 year old's head in a death grip and wouldn't let go. My aunt was walking her cockapoo, and a pit bull, who was supposedly "a gentle and well behaved" dog, got out of his fence and attacked the cockapoo and ripped half of his leg off. My aunt had scooped her dog up in the air, but the pit bull jumped up and grabbed its leg.

:iagree: IF a dog is going to bite someone out of the blue, without warning, how likely is it that the victim will be mained or killed if the dog is a lab? Even a German Shepherd? But a Pittbull? Yeah.

My grama and her little dog, walking in thier own yard, with little dog on a leash, were both attacked and maimed by two pittbulls running loose. Grama's dog had hundreds of stitches and a week at the vet but he did live. Grama's shoulder socket was distroyed when she was knocked to the ground by these two and she was never the same.

When I worked for a vet during high school, we had a woman bring in a pittbull puppy that was so young, it's eyes weren't open yet. It had been mauled by it's litter mates! They had ganged up on it and mauled it and they couldn't even see! I am not kidding here, this is a true story. We stitched it up and she bottle fet it. Clearly, this shows a temperament problem that is inate. At least in that litter.

My nephew got a pittbull puppy from the pound. He and his wife did a fine job raising it - no abuse. The dog became aggressive at about 9 months of age and he had to get rid of it. He did not train it to be aggressive. It just became that way.

One of my best friend's sons was attacked by their "loving" family pet and received 111 stitches in 11 different locations on his face and head. His father says if he had not beaten the dog off the child, the child would have been killed. This dog was 7 years old, the child was 4. The dog was adopted from the pound at age 6 weeks and raised by my freinds, who adored it, obedience trained it and considered it the most wonderful dog they had ever owned. It is funny, because she often said about pittbulls, the things you all are saying now. She doesn't anymore! She was so devastated by this event that she paid for an autopsy on this dog to "proove" to everyone that this was caused by a brain tumor or some such mind altering physical problem. She did NOT beleive that her beloved pet did something so aweful. Well, no physical problem was found. This man has his Phd in theology and my friend is a medical proffesional with a master's degree. These are not the "type" of people you are thinking. They are a great and loving family. The ideal home for any dog. They now have 5 dogs, pointers and Irish Setters. No more pittbulls for them. Thank God their son is not afraid of dogs.

Well there, I am just one person and I have 4 personal stories - all pittbulls. Are you saying that's just coincidence? There is no "case by case" basis for pittbulls. They are wonderful, loving dogs until the day they are not and someone is hurt. They were bred to give no warning, often no raised lip, no growl, just a full blown attack, out of the blue. Of course, some of them will never attack and live their entire lives as good, faithful dogs. But HOW ARE YOU GOING TO TELL WHICH ONES? You can't. My freind's dog would have passed EVERY SINGLE "temperament test" you can think of. She had NEVER growled at a human. You could take food right out of her mouth. She was obedient! If you want to believe that "it's not the breed, it's the owner" go right ahead. Good luck with that....but it's a lie and lots of foolish people are risking their children's lives on believing it. As for me, No pittbulls will ever get anywhere near my kid, family or pets. Ever.

Edited by katemary63

I love the dog regs in your area. Here there is nothing. I was bitten this month..owner had let his dogs out and they barrelled down the block and got me. No fine, no nothing to him other than digging out his paperwork to show the dogs had had their rabies immunization. He doesn't even have to show that he owns a leash for each dog. His only penalty is that he'll lose the animals after they bite 3 humans each.

Were I in your situation, I'd let the authorities know as well as ask the parent what the plan is. It's asking for greater trouble to let that situation continue as you'll now have to worry each time your child is playing in the vicinity of the untrained, unrestrained animal.

I'm upstate. The law is that the animal must be under control (leash, fence, etc) but there is no penalty if not, although the person who was injured can go to small claims court to recover their costs. The dr.'s office told me that the law is that the owner loses the immunized animal after 3 reported human bites. The dr.'s office is req'd to report the incident to county health dept. My local police reported it to the local animal control authority. My local animal control was responsible to ascertain the immunization status of the animal. No tickets were issued; owner has no consequences. Same story for three of my neighbors that were bitten, all also on public property away from the animals' homes.

Edited by lgm

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I could not agree more.