Menu

WWE Student Pages - love them or not?

irizarry4

The issue of the GIGANTIC line-spacing aside. Do we love WWE Student Pages? I've been toying with the idea of making my own narrations/copywork/dictations for my ds. But so far it has not happened. I bought the workbook for WWE 1 for my daughter, and that is SO EASY.

I wouldn't buy the workbooks going forward, though, since I have the text. But now that the WWE student pages are available as pdf downloads, I am really tempted to get those for my older student.

So, do YOU love your WWE student pages? Is it worth buying, or should I just make my own?

:bigear:

I like that everything is scripted for me, but I do not need the student pages at all. We don't use them. I read from the book, and my child writes his narration on regular notebook paper. Even when my kids first begin writing they don't make their letters that large.

Heather

I love them. I don't love the big lines, but my kids just treat them like wide line paper and use every line instead. The biggest reason I will continue to buy them is my kids think of the ones with the pictures on them a special treat. Once they are done with their narration/dictation etc they color the picture.

I love that they offer them as PDFs, I buy everything I can as ebook. I just wish they offered them as PDFs with multiple line sizes to pick from so you could still get the great illustrations with the line size appropriate for the child using them.

I also know that I'd never get around to actually picking my own excerpts so the workbooks make it easy for me because all that leg work has been done.

I like that everything is scripted for me, but I do not need the student pages at all. We don't use them. I read from the book, and my child writes his narration on regular notebook paper. Even when my kids first begin writing they don't make their letters that large.

Heather

But you still have the student pages, to read from? Then you have them copy onto regular paper, yes? Or do you prepare your own narration/copywork/dictation material?

I love them. I don't love the big lines, but my kids just treat them like wide line paper and use every line instead. The biggest reason I will continue to buy them is my kids think of the ones with the pictures on them a special treat. Once they are done with their narration/dictation etc they color the picture.

[....]

I also know that I'd never get around to actually picking my own excerpts so the workbooks make it easy for me because all that leg work has been done.

My dd7 is using WWE 1 workbook, and although she doesn't color the pictures, she does love the illustrations. But even she has trouble making letters quite that large.

I think you're right. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I'll ever get around to picking my own excerpts either. And plus, I can reuse the pdf pages I buy for my older with my younger when she gets there.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the original question. I use the Writing With Ease workbook. The student pages are in the back. I do not use them at all. I never bought additional student pages. I highly recommend the workbooks, but for the reason that Susan took the time to prepare all the story excerpts and what the teacher should say to the child. When my child does copy work I just show him the sentences to be copied. He copies right from the teacher's portion of the book. I have never flipped to the back where the student pages are. I originally purchased the instructor text only. I put it away as soon as I bought the workbook. I don't use it at all anymore. I would have been absolutely fine buying the workbook alone with nothing to accompany it.

Heather

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the original question. I use the Writing With Ease workbook. The student pages are in the back. I do not use them at all. I never bought additional student pages. I highly recommend the workbooks, but for the reason that Susan took the time to prepare all the story excerpts and what the teacher should say to the child. When my child does copy work I just show him the sentences to be copied. He copies right from the teacher's portion of the book. I have never flipped to the back where the student pages are. I originally purchased the instructor text only. I put it away as soon as I bought the workbook. I don't use it at all anymore. I would have been absolutely fine buying the workbook alone with nothing to accompany it.

Heather

Hmmm... I think I misunderstood. I need to buy the workbook, not the student pages. That is where all the narrations are.:tongue_smilie:

I do the same thing. I have two boys using WWE 2 and one using WWE 1. We don't use the student pages in the back of the workbooks. Instead, we use handwriting paper with what ever size lines are appropriate.

I absolutely love that she did all the work for me in these workbooks!

I love that Susan has prepared all the work for me. I don't use the student pages at all. I copy the copywork onto the kid's notebook pages (in cursive) myself. I might be tempted to get the PDF pages if they had multiple line sizes & the option of cursive. (I know the latter will never happen.) I'm so picky.

I had the spine cut on the book & just had the teacher's section rebound. I put the student pages . . . somewhere. I won't use 'em, despite the nice pictures.

I did use the student pages, even though the lines were annoyingly large (didn't I see SWB post once that she was going to make them smaller when she reprints someday?).

I just rebound WWE3 today - starting with 3, the selections to read are in the student pages rather than the teacher pages, so I sprial bound both portions separately. With WWE2 I hole-punched the student pages and pulled them out as needed. I so wish the student and teacher pages were just sold separately - even with only one kid, it's not workable having the student pages in the same book!

I type them into StartWrite software so that I can use a cursive font and adjust the line size. My dd is dyslexic, so she really needs to write in cursive. Her printing is atrocious.

I also type them into Startwrite and adjust the line size. This program was one of my most useful purchases!

Dana

I love having the narration passages selected for me. Sure, I could do it myself, but I would never get around to it! :tongue_smilie:

The big lines are a problem for dd. When we start WWE 2 next week, I'll have her write on different paper.

It is funny to read that so many kids like the pictures. Dd really dislikes them. She says it "ruins the story" to see the picture differently than she pictured it. :001_huh: She says that Pollyanna looked nothing like that in her mind, and now her image is ruined because she can only picture the line drawing. :lol: Drama queen!

I love having the narration passages selected for me. Sure, I could do it myself, but I would never get around to it! :tongue_smilie:

The big lines are a problem for dd. When we start WWE 2 next week, I'll have her write on different paper.

It is funny to read that so many kids like the pictures. Dd really dislikes them. She says it "ruins the story" to see the picture differently than she pictured it. :001_huh: She says that Pollyanna looked nothing like that in her mind, and now her image is ruined because she can only picture the line drawing. :lol: Drama queen!

Very interesting! Smart girl. ;)