Menu

Easy Grammar Question

HeatherM

I am confused about what to order with Easy Grammar. It looks like there is a teacher's manual, a student workbook, daily grams, and daily grams teaching text. Is this correct? Is it necessary to buy all 4 items for each year? I do hate consumables. I like passing things on to the next child. I would love to hear from those of you who have used it.

Heather

So you only purchased one item, the teacher's edition of Daily Grams, and that was enough to teach grammar for the year? Could the student do the work on regular notebook paper, or does it make more sense to use the student pages? Are you saying that the regular teacher's manual and student book are not needed if you buy the Daily Grams? Sorry, for all the questions. I don't want to buy more than I need.

Heather

Each Teacher's Manual has teaching instructions, worksheet pages that can be copied, an answer key that is on each facing page, unit reviews, cumulative reviews, unit tests, and cumulative tests. You can also order workbooks if you don't want to copy the pages out of the Teacher's Manual, but our family has taken an even more miserly approach by using the Teacher's Manual with a piece of opaque construction paper to cover the answers on the facing page. We are strong proponents of independent study, which means each child receives a Teacher's Manual instead of a student workbook. That way they can read the teaching instructions, do the worksheets and correct their own work. This option does not work as well if you have a couple of children who need the same level book. In that case, photocopying the worksheets from the Teacher's Manual or using the workbooks (which may not be photocopied) may be more cost effective. Note: Workbooks contain worksheets and instruction sheets found in the teacher text. Teacher Guides include that along with unit reviews, unit tests, cumulative reviews, and cumulative tests answer keys and teaching strategies.

We took the suggestion to use the TM for both dd and I. I have a piece of cardstock paperclipped to the left side of the page. Dd does the assignment and then we remove the cardstock to reveal the answers and check her work together. (She loves doing this btw.) We also use DG's each day. So I only bought the DG book and the TM for the whole school year.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda

You only need the Teacher's Manual. The pages are perforated, so I ripped them all out, hole-punched them, and copied the student pages for each child.

Easy Grammar is the teaching portion that goes step-by step through the parts of speech and parts of a sentence; Daily Grams are a one-page mixed review. I only used Easy Grammar.

So you only purchased one item, the teacher's edition of Daily Grams, and that was enough to teach grammar for the year? Could the student do the work on regular notebook paper, or does it make more sense to use the student pages? Are you saying that the regular teacher's manual and student book are not needed if you buy the Daily Grams? Sorry, for all the questions. I don't want to buy more than I need.

Heather

Daily Grams is review only. My mathy DD4th has trouble with retention for grammar so we use CLE LA and also do a quick, 5 minute review with DG.

I'm happy with CLE LA, but I hear good things about Easy Grammar too. I definitely like Daily Grams and foresee using it long term to aid retention.

It sounds like you can buy the TE for EG and DG (just two books) and have what you need for grammar. The TE gives you permission to reproduce pages for "student use only" so you can photocopy or write answers on notebook paper for the 1st child and then pass the book onto your second child.

You don't need Daily Grams. Save your money. If anything, you could do EG one year, DG the next, EG after that, and so on. But your first year, just buy EG.

It's easiest if you order an EG teacher book plus a student workbook for each child. Just bite the bullet and do it. There are work-arounds, but still...