Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JFSinIL

?? a deposit due in mid NOVEMBER to hold a place???

Recommended Posts

This wasn't Early Admissions, but Ferris U in Michigan sent a "apply now for free and we will let you know within two weeks" email. College looked like a good back-up (Honors program, etc). and ds applied.

 

Got accepted today. BUT - also was informed he had to send a $150 deposit to hold his place by mid-Nov!!! What the ????? I thought May 1st was the traditional deadline (except for binding Early Admissions - which this was NOT).

 

Is this something new? DS hasn't even finished all the Common App. to his six fav. colleges (also places that are less likely to accept him or offer $$, being private places like Vanderbilt, etc. but you never know until you try, right?).

 

I told ds to look at the website etc. and decide if this is worth holding onto as a good, cheap back-up school.

 

OK - panic attack over - in small print it says elsewhere that he can call a phone number to ASK to wait until May 1 to make the deposit. He will do so, as they do not even hold the interviews/essays for the Honors program until late Feb.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun aside: Dh's uncle was a dean & chemistry prof @ Ferris State back when & now his son (dh's 1st cousin) is a prof in the Pharmacy dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you found that fine print!

 

A similar topic has come up before. Copying here what I wrote once before:

 

Here's a link to a pdf from NACAC which is the National Association for College Admission Counseling. If the college belongs to this organization, they are required to adhere to these standards and allow the student until May 1 to reply to such an offer.

 

I learned this from AdmissionsAdvice.com a blog that is hosted by Carolyn Z. Lawrence who posts on college admission issues. I recommend the blog; there is plenty of food for thought there.

 

Regards,

Kareni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One college my ds applied to lost an potential applicant that way -- he was offered a scholarship in January but had to reply within two weeks. He said no thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back in about 1980 USC accepted me as a transfer student BUT would not say if I was accepted in my major (film) - I kept calling and being told "That decision has not been made yet." So right before the deadline I sent in my $50 check. Two days later I called again and was told "Oh, no - we only accepted three transfer students into that major and they were notified a month ago."

 

So I put a stop payment on the check (I wasn't going to USC if not in my major).

 

USC, although I wrote that I would NOT be attending, kept dunning me for the $50. They stopped after I wrote a scathing letter detailing how I felt they had deliberately mislead me until after the deadline day.

 

My mom, secretary to the president of Chapman College at the time, told me many colleges factor into their budget deposits from kids who pay up then end up not attending.

 

I just wonder if Ferris is also hoping to get some nonrefundable deposit money from kids who will not end up attending. My kid may well end up at Ferris (who knows? 9 more schools to hear from) BUT he won't amke any deposit anywhere until May 1 (thanks, Kareni!!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed the NACAC and they are requesting a copy of the letter ds got from Carthage as, no, the college can NOT ask for money before May 1. Thanks to Kareni for the link in her post - very helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Let us know what happens! Are you going to send the $300 anyway?

 

No - am not going to tie up $300 ANYWHERE before learning about honors programs, scholarships...I mean, ds hasn't finished the applications for two colleges and he is supposed to start writing checks NOW??? He did not apply Early Admissions!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are quite welcome, JFS. Wishing your son well with the rest of his applications. (This is a crazy process, no?)

 

Regards,

Kareni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carthage just called and is insisting on getting the deposit!!! I mentioned the NACAC and the lady on the phone is NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!

Of course, she also said a letter is coming offering a $42,000 scholarship.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...