Menu

I really dislike bad art teachers

We did art at home but I decided last year to sign my son up for Saturday art classes. They are expensive but I think they do a better job and less mess in my house.

We did one art class that they did all different collages, etc. and he loved it. His teacher was amazing.

He did a ceramics class at another place that is ridiculously expensive but he liked it. Its very small and very hands on.

So I signed him up for another ceramics class at a different art school and a much lower price.

First day the teacher complained that he asked too many questions. What?????? I should have pulled him out then and gotten my money back.

I realized he was not talking about art class (he used to talk about it non-stop). I asked him how he felt about it and he opened up how not nice his teacher was etc.

Uggh. Goodbye $250.

Its not even the money (well a little). It just annoys me that someone would become an art teacher and teach children and not even like children!!!

End of my rant.

Your poor kiddo. Why do so many people who don't enjoy kids go into teaching?:confused: Kids ask questions...lots and lots of questions. Sounds like the teacher could use a little teaching herself.

Maybe you can you try to get a partial refund? At the very least let them know how you feel.

Aftr...I think it stinks, when adults squash a child's love of learning.

So sorry for your ds' experience. It stinks.

When we first started hs'ing I signed DS up for an art class---run by a HS'ing mom with 6 grown BOYS and she had a BA and MA in art education. I thought, great, this woman will be used to working with boys. How wrong. She complained non-stop about my ds (then a 3rd grader), his questions, his desire to not want to sit still like the girls in the class,.... And, when she didn't like how he was holding the chalk she grabbed a piece and drew on his almost finished picture lines to show him how to hold the chalk. The final straw was when she said in front of my son that she was so happy that HE was not her son. Me too! She didn't deserve him.

It was the last art class he ever took and I could not get him interested in some other class. Hopefully your son has plenty of positive experiences in other classes to help him through this one. A lousy teacher is awful. I would pull him out immediately and talk with him about how much you want to hear that something is not working or when someone isn't treating him quite right.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Carole

Maybe you can you try to get a partial refund? At the very least let them know how you feel.

Aftr...I think it stinks, when adults squash a child's love of learning.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We had a similar situation, and two classes were enough to convince my art-loving ds that art was "too hard" and "no fun." Needless to say, we dropped out of the class (no refund, but the tuition went to support a good cause, so I didn't even bother to ask for my money back.)

The teacher was a very nice woman... outside of the class... but she was a terrible teacher, and not at all helpful to the kids. She was quite the tyrant in class. My ds was so disappointed, because he'd really looked forward to the class.

Cat

There are scads of classes/co-ops in our area, but they really vary. I'm not one that has a lot of money to throw around, so I'm not going to pay for something that is truly not worthwhile in terms of providing actual instruction for my logic-stage kids. Art seems to be a tough one in terms of finding someone that is really going to teach and provide coaching versus just letting them work.

My dd took private art for eight yrs and had the best teacher. Than she moved.

This year dd decided to take Art w/her school and the teacher is not an art teacher. She even told the kids she never mixed colors in her life. There are sooo many people looking for work, how can they hire teachers w/no experience in what they teach.

Sigh. I feel for your ds.

I had a horrible art teacher in elem. and my one in middle school was worse. In elem. my teacher refused to let my little friend take her art work home because every friday that we had art she had to go in for chemotherapy treatments (she was in first grade and had bone cancer). The teacher said if she wouldn't come to class and do her work, she couldn't take it home. (Finally a couple other kids parents found out and complained to the principal but STILL. The girl had cancer! and the teacher knew thats why she wasn't there.) My middle school teacher told people their work was "crap". She would smash your clay if she didn't like it, and then tell you that unless you wanted an F you had to come in during your lunch hour. She would "correct" peoples work by drawing all over it with a black marker. It was ridiculous. I could go on for hours about both of them...but I won't! ;)

My kids art teacher wanted them to draw monsters and read them a story about monsters in the closet and being afraid of the dark...

I don't know where it is going to lead, but the kids never thought of the dark as anything scary before. They were both upset and wanted to throw their projects away when they came home. DS drew his monster inside of a sock, so it couldn't get out.

I worry about my kids annoying the teacher too, but I sit outside the room for the lessons. So if they are annoying, I can pretend not to know about it. And if they ask me, I will tell them, "sorry this is how my kids are, I'm paying you to teach them, if you don't like it, refund my money."