Menu

-ence, -ance, -ency, -ancy, -ent, -ant word help

nmoira

Does anyone know of a good resource with tips or tricks to help remember these endings? They are my greatest spelling weakness, and they are proving difficult for DD the Elder as well. She's just finished this list in Megawords, but needs some more practice with a handful of problem words. We've already made associations with familiar relevant Latin and Spanish infinitives (this was a big help) and she knows that in most cases a person would be -ant, as in dependant (noun) vs dependent (adjective). Comprehension is not an issue, only spelling.

Spelling made Simple by Stephen V. Ross has 4 rules on pages 108 to 109 based on accents and letters in the word for ant/ent and -ance/ence.

For example, rule 4: if the root ends in -sist or xixt, the suffix is probably -ent or -ence. He lists example words for each rule/generalization.

He also covers in the suffix section:

able/ible

al, el, or le

er. or, or ar

ly or ally

ise, ize, or yze

ary or ery

efy or ify

How to Teach Spelling has rules for ance, ant and ancy:

When you can think of a related word ending in ation: radiation, radiance, radiant, radiancy (there is a list with 6 other words and their related forms)

To change verbs to nouns: rely, reliance, reliant (12 more of these are listed)

To keep the c and g hard in these words: extravagance, (7 more)

For these words, which are usually nouns that name people: attendant, defendant (10 and 3 exceptions: president, resident, superintendent)

For three contractions: hindrance, entrance, remembrance

Rules for ence, ent, ency

after a stem ending in i: audi, bedi (lots more)

after qu: eloquence (5 words and their related forms)

It is in Chapter 41 for grades 7-12

There is a new program out, dare I say it, called Learn to spell 500 words a Day by a linguist named Camilia Sadik. You can see examples on Amazon. Or she has a website www.spellingrules.com. She actually has a rule for when to use -ence, and -ance. Here's an example from her website:

Add -ance when the first part has a meaning: 'attend' + ance

Add -ence when the first part has no meaning: 'evid' + ence

word+
a
nce: attend+
a
nce = attend
a
nce

non-word+
e
nce: evid+
e
nce = evid
e
nce

I don't know about the rest, but Camilia does. This program looks turly amazing.

A good friend of mine has told me that certain endings depend on the origin of the word... she said it had something to do with the way the Latin root is spelled??? I'm trying to remember.

(I'm a natural speller, so I just seem to usually know if the word "looks right" or whatever... but even natural spellers make mistakes sometimes -- so I asked that friend one time *WHY* a certain word ending was spelled a certain way and that's what she told me. I believe she studied YEARS of Latin in college -- and she was a college prof.)

I *think* I remember hearing that there's a spelling/vocab program out there that teaches *why* certain endings are spelled certain ways... and I remember hearing that it brings up the word's origin...

Good luck!

Momofabcd, do you know anybody who has used this? How did you find it?

It just came out in September. A lady on a yahoo group I'm a part of for Robinson Curriculum said she had heard of Camilia Sadik a couple years ago and was very impressed. She couldn't wait until the program came out. I think she purchased it, but hasn't had enough time for a full review. Sorry I can't be of more help.

It does look good, you can see inside her books at Amazon. She needs better links to her books, but I eventually found them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_26?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=learn+to+spell+500+words+a+day+by+camilia+sadik&x=0&y=0&sprefix=learn+to+spell+500+words+a

I like the syllables and the way it is laid out.

There is a new program out, dare I say it, called Learn to spell 500 words a Day by a linguist named Camilia Sadik. You can see examples on Amazon. Or she has a website www.spellingrules.com. She actually has a rule for when to use -ence, and -ance. Here's an example from her website:

Add -ancewhen the first part has a meaning: 'attend' + ance

Add -ence when the first part has no meaning: 'evid' + ence

word+
a
nce: attend+
a
nce = attend
a
nce

non-word+
e
nce: evid+
e
nce = evid
e
nce

I don't know about the rest, but Camilia does. This program looks turly amazing.

I was going but, but, but... because this doesn't work with many of the words in the Megawords list. However, there's a more complete list of -ency/-ancy rules on her website, which should do the trick. This is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks. :)