Menu

Saxon Algebra I and II questions.....

Ok, ladies...recently I have had a few homeschoolers state that they use Saxon Algebra I and count this as 1 credit for algebra I and 1/2 credit for geometry. The next year, use algebra II and count it as 1 credit for algebra II and give another 1/2 credit in geometry on a high school transcript. Is there enough geometry integrated within those algebra texts to do so? We used MUS for Algebra I last year and I decided to go w/ Saxon's new geometry this year. However, I'm finding that my 9th grader is really struggling with the algebra problems because Saxon geometry text contains some stuff that either MUS didn't cover in algebra or she has forgotten how to do them. My thoughts were to start her in Saxon's Algebra I book, work through it this year and move to Algebra II next year. If I can count the geometry w/o having a separate geometry course, she wouldn't be behind. Which brings me to my earlier question, is there honestly enough geometry contained in the Saxon algebra courses to even count it as a separate course? Thanks for your help and insight!

There is enough geometry in Saxon for the PSAT and SAT. I cannot answer the credit question because I never gave a separate credit for it. I actually did not think about doing it that way. By the time my children graduated we had gone through Saxon Calculus and I just listed Algebra I, Algebra II, Advanced Math, and Calculus on the transcript. But I have heard of others that do give one geometry credit for doing both algebra books and half of the Advanced Math book.

Linda

Well, we worked through Saxon's Alg. 1 text last year and there is a bit of geometry worked in. As I recall, finding area of various polygons and circles was discussed heavily. Also some work with triangles and the pythagorean theorum. We decided to take a year and tackle geometry seperately as our dd is only in 8th this year. We'll cover Alg. 2 next year. I'm undecided as to whether we'll return to Saxon for this or not.

My dd is working her way through Life of Fred Geometry and so far almost all of the material is new to her. Finally, in Ch7 she hit some review (area). We're also supplementing with a lot of constructions, though LOF has some of these. Saxon certainly didn't do any formal geometric proofs in Alg. 1.

We've used Saxon all along with her though and it does seem to be a very solid program. Many students have great results with it. According to Saxon, Geometry supplementation is not necessary. Hopefully someone who's completed the Alg. 2 will respond to your question.

With the older Saxon texts one credit of Geometry was awarded IF a student completed Algebra 1, Algebra 2 AND Advanced Math (at least the first half of AM).

The current Saxon program has a separate Geometry program.

Saxon Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 DO NOT contain enough Geometry for a course credit.

With the older Saxon texts one credit of Geometry was awarded IF a student completed Algebra 1, Algebra 2 AND Advanced Math (at least the first half of AM).

The current Saxon program has a separate Geometry program.

Saxon Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 DO NOT contain enough Geometry for a course credit.

:iagree:

I took Algebra I and Geometry in Jr. High, then transferred to a different school district, where I took Saxon Algebra II and Advanced Math. We didn't cover all of what was covered in my Geometry class until Adv. Math.

Piggybacking a question onto this post: Did Saxon change the content of Algebra I, Algebra II and Advanced Mathmatics when they released the Geometry program within the past few years? I thought I read somewhere that you can still just cover geometry using the old sequence of Algebra I, Algebra II and Adv. Math but that if a seperate course with proofs is desired then you would use the new Geometry.

Thanks for clearning up my confusion.

Local PS grant Geometry and Trig credit for Saxon math work.

Geometry

credit is granted after completion of

Lsn 60 of Advanced Math (and Alg-1, Alg-2)

Trigonometry

credit is granted after completion of

Lsn 60-127 in Saxon Advanced Math (and Alg-1, Alg-2)

:seeya:

I believe the Saxon web site has the info in it as well. Here is some info from the dive cd web site: http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=452ans&zpid=452&sesstime=now

Anyway, You need to complete 1/2 of adv. math to give full geometry credit. I think I will say on ds transcript: Alg.I, Alg II with geometry, Adv. Math I with geometry, and Adv. math II. I may change how I worl "Adv math I and II, but the with geometry part will remain. What I am not sure now is how many credits for each.

Barb

Piggybacking a question onto this post: Did Saxon change the content of Algebra I, Algebra II and Advanced Mathmatics when they released the Geometry program within the past few years? I thought I read somewhere that you can still just cover geometry using the old sequence of Algebra I, Algebra II and Adv. Math but that if a seperate course with proofs is desired then you would use the new Geometry.

Thanks for clearning up my confusion.

I think you are right. I always felt they came out with a separate geometry because some would rather have just geometry in a separate course. For ds is worked great to do Alg I, alg II, then advanced math in 3 semesters. In fact, I liked it better then a separate Geometry course, because his algebra skills kept being reviewed and taught as well. I think Saxon is the reason he did well in math on the SAT.

Barb