Menu

Someone please tell me I've gone overboard...

And point me in the direction of some counseling services.

So dd has gone back to PS this year as a sophomore and for the most part doing really well. She's got B's in all of her classes and that's mostly 'cause she just doesn't test well. So anyways, the district has a site that we can use to check grades and attendance and for the most part is updated daily.

Here's the sad part- I check that thing twice a day. TWICE! Like it's going to change much...not only do I check it all the time, I will text her with updates. Like today- "You have a missing soil observation report in AG, look into it because it dropped your grade from an A to a B"

Oh that's sooooo terrible...I did tell her though, that I can't help being a control freak and that eventually she'll have to start doing this herself because I'm starting to feel like a stalker.

You are doing her no favors by being all over her. She will never learn to take ownership of her own projects/grades and the truth is, you CAN help how controlling you are. You simply make the conscious choice to NOT control what she's doing. If her grades drop, it's her fault. She must learn to be responsible for her own homework/grades. You can not carry her her whole life and you're going to end up with a completely dependent daughter who can't take care of herself as an adult, or you're going to end up with her rebelling against your suffocating behavior and you'll lose her. You don't want either, do you?

I'm truly not trying to be harsh, but seriously, stop this behavior or it's going to come back and bite you (and her) in one way or another.

You are doing her no favors by being all over her. She will never learn to take ownership of her own projects/grades and the truth is, you CAN help how controlling you are. You simply make the conscious choice to NOT control what she's doing. If her grades drop, it's her fault. She must learn to be responsible for her own homework/grades. You can not carry her her whole life and you're going to end up with a completely dependent daughter who can't take care of herself as an adult, or you're going to end up with her rebelling against your suffocating behavior and you'll lose her. You don't want either, do you?

I'm truly not trying to be harsh, but seriously, stop this behavior or it's going to come back and bite you (and her) in one way or another.

Ooohhh your good. Thanks you're not being harsh, what you said is completely true. Honestly, I know that, and for the most part I do let her sink or swim, I think having access to her grades is just like a new toy and eventually I'll just go back to ignoring it.

By monitoring your sophomore's grades in this way, you are losing one of the benefits public school can provide our kids--growing idependence and control over their own futures. Unless your dd has some developmental/emotional things going on that make her less ready to handle this responsibility, I believe that she is old enough to do it, and it is a good thing.

I have a freshman and senior now in public school, and I get grade updates via email weekly. I delete them without ever opening them. If there are no other indications of academic problems, I believe it is respectful of my dds' blossoming adulthoods to let them be the ones to keep up with their own grades.

Beth