Menu

Advice on math supplements (nmoira?)

Jill

I'm looking at supplementing with Challenge Math and wondering about Descartes Cove. We have used computer games as supplement all along. Ds recently has done marathons of ClueFinders 3rd grade at levels 2 and 3 and wants to move on. Is Cluefinders 4th grade going to be enough of a move forward? Should we jump to Descartes Cove or would that be too far ahead? ds is working at public school 4th or 5th grade level, EPGY 3.6 level, we use saxon 45 in between epgy days so that he has to do handwriting work but we do skip forward in saxon by several chapters here and there so we don't do _quite_ as much repetition and don't cover things he's already learned.

Similarly which Challenge Math book would likely be appropriate as supplemental work also, the Primary book or the Elementary to Middle?

I am asking these questions in order to help myself budget for these things. I can't afford to just grab ALL the games and books I would like :) but ds is very motivated by good games like ClueFinders and thinking-skill books like the Prufrock Press materials - Logic Safari, Connections, Analogies.

nmoira - you were using many different materials last year, are you still doing so? do you have a plan or do you unschool the supplements a bit? any thoughts?

Thank you -

Don't forget MEP... it's free and is composed of discrete units. :)

Ds recently has done marathons of ClueFinders 3rd grade at levels 2 and 3 and wants to move on. Is Cluefinders 4th grade going to be enough of a move forward?
We used Cluefinders mainly for mental math practice, so I'd say it's worth it if you think it will keep the interest up.

Should we jump to Descartes Cove or would that be too far ahead?
Based on what you've said, if Descartes Cove is currently too far ahead, it won't be for long. Occasionally CTY offers it for 50% off, but Homeschool Buyer's Co-op often has it at 30% off. I'm undecided at this point whether we'll get this or not.

Similarly which Challenge Math book would likely be appropriate as supplemental work also, the Primary book or the Elementary to Middle?
I'd go with Challenge Math and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius. Between the two books, there should be enough material at a 5th/6th Grade level to keep you going for awhile.

nmoira - you were using many different materials last year, are you still doing so? do you have a plan or do you unschool the supplements a bit? any thoughts?
We're not unschooling, but neither is DD the Elder progressing through a conventional math sequence. I have to admit to being surprised at finding so many cool resources at middle school level because I'd assume that math couldn't get interesting until Algebra. DD the Elder has a few things going:

The Cryptoclub

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius

Challenge Math (some basic algebra)

Brain Maths (2 volumes of puzzles; we have found a few errors in the solutions)

Venn Perplexors D (some basic algebra)

Mathematics 6 (selected sections and problems)

CWP 5 (slowly working through the series)

It's Alive and Kicking

various other puzzle books

Orbiting With Logic

Finished or in the offing:

LoF: Fractions and Decimals & Percents

Venn Perplexors A-C

Can You Count in Greek? (highly recommended)

Alien Math (working with different number bases, very cool)

Piece of Pi (I'm less exited about this one, probably won't do all worksheets)

some MEP units

LoF Pre-algebra books as they come out (DD loves, loves, loves Fred)

A Game of Logic (Lewis Carroll)

Edited to add: We also occasionally use Math Express from SingaporeMath.com for mental math

Edited by nmoira

I just bought Calculus for Young People (www.mathman.biz). We haven't done a lot with it since we just got it, but it has been fun and very interesting so far. There is a lot of material included so it will last us awhile.

I've been flirting with this for years. I'll be interested to see how this works for you. :)

Thanks for your new recommends and info Moira!

MEP has never been much of a hit with ds but thanks for reminding me as I have pulled it out for reinforcement here and there. He likes LoF but wasn't quite ready for it when we pulled it out. He has been dabbling at long division though so maybe I'll revisit. He dabbles a lot with a topic before it comes up in epgy or in a text - he wants to see a problem or two of it done, with me writing and he does the calcs. He gets curious about how certain calculations are done before he gets there. That's why I thought Challenge Math looked good. and alien maths - totally up his alley - he is enrapt with binary already.