Menu

Hair Loss in Kids

Recently I've noticed that my 6 year old daughter's hair is getting noticably thinner. She's actually thinning so much at the crown that it's on the verge of looking like a bald spot. This is a girl who is half Colombian and has always had VERY thick hair.

The only thing I can think of that may have contributed is that she had lice for several months and we had a heck of a time getting rid of it. Tried every treatment I could get my hands on, both chemical and natural, before it finally went away. She does now have a very dry scalp and scratches a lot. Other than that I don't know what could cause it, or what to do about it.

Has anyone had a child who has experienced this? I did some research and it looks like all the causes are benign, but I don't know....I have a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Would you take her to the pediatrician, or do you think I'm freaking out over nothing?

My then-2 yo was in her 6th month of antibiotics for a positive TB test when she lost 2 quarter-sized patches of hair. She was at the bottom end of the weight range for her dosage and had been on the meds. for a full 6 months, so there was a lot of it in her system. One of the potential side effects for the meds was drug-induced lupus, which can cause hair loss. The dermatologist did not agree with me, but after my initial panic, I decided that was the cause. Seven years later, she's never had a reoccurrence, and I am still convinced that it was the TB meds.

My daughter was adopted from China and came to us with a host of issues, which I completely took in stride, but nothing made me panic like discovering the bald patches 9 months after we got her. In the grand scheme of things that can happen to your child, of course, bald spots are nothing, but cruising the internet an finding all these pictures of girls with alopecia just broke my heart for her. I hope it turns out to be something that will resolve as quickly as my baby's did.

Terri

It could be telogen efflluvium. It's basically where an event that happened about 3 months ago- something stressful, a new medication, weight loss, etc. causes hair to fall out prematurely. With telogen effluvium, if you were to grab about 20 random hairs on her head and tug on them, several would fall out. If you look at the hairs in a good light, they would have little white "bulbs" on the end. It usually lasts about 6 months. I've been through it twice with hormonal issues and medications being the cause. A dermatologist would be able to diagnose it pretty easily. There's not much you can do about it, but eventually the hair does grow back.

My hair started falling out due to stress. The muscles in my neck/back of my head were so tight from stress they were pulling the skin on the top of my head so tight they were breaking the hairs off at the follicles. Along with the hair loss I was experiencing lots of major headaches, etc.

I think thyroid issues can also cause hair loss can't they? Seems to me the thyroid likes to mess with everything if it is out of whack.

My dd had this when she was 5. We never did find the exact cause. She has has a long history of med issues. We went first to our pediatrician then to a dermatologist and then an allergist. Her hair did fill back out eventually. It was very distressing at the time so I know how you are feeling. I hope that you find some answers.