Menu

Does tooth pain after a filling mean that I need root canal?

When I was about 10, I fell down the steps and knocked out several teeth and broke several more. The partial bridge was loose and I had a bad cavity in the space. I recently had the dentist fix it. However, it hurts now. It really didn't hurt before. The dentist complimented me on "how tough I was". Really, it didn't hurt. Since it hurts now, does that mean that I need a root canal? I don't know if it would be worth it.

I knocked out 1/2 of the teeth on the bottom jaw. Several others on the top are messed up because I have cavities where the dentist patched the broken teeth. All the back molars are full of silver fillings because of the bands from when I had braces. I'm not even 40 yet but I'm wondering if dentures are the way to go? Is a root canal worth it when my teeth are in bad shape?

I really don't want dentures because it makes me feel older just thinking about it. But I don't want to shell out the dough and then need dentures anyway. help

Something to think about. My grandfather has trouble with his jaw and gums because of wearing dentures for so long. I would put it off as long as I could. His jaw bone is deteriorating and he has had several surgeries to correct it, plus other problems. I would wait, if I could.

I have had teeth hurt for a long time after a filling. A filling is trauma to a tooth and depending on how deep the filling it can take a long time for the tooth to relax. Try to baby the tooth a little and see if it feels better after awhile. A dentist can take an X-ray to see if the nerve is inflamed.

I have had my teeth go both ways. I would just give it some time and see if it relaxes.

My teeth NEVER bother me until after I've seen a dentist. I had several fillings done at once a few years ago, and those cavities NEVER caused me any pain. But having my teeth drilled and filled woke up those nerve endings and it took a very long time for me to be able to eat without pain. I didn't need a root canal on those teeth, the pain did stop... eventually. I hope yours stops much sooner- motrin is your friend. :)

This did happen to me too. My dentist said that sometimes, after a filling, a calcium deposit can grow, sticking out into the root. Thats the best way I can describe it. He even took an x-ray and sure enough, I could see a tiny spur. It hurt, but eventually, it stopped.

Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

Also, no dentist worth is salt will yank your teeth out like that. They will all want to try and save your teeth. So dentures will probably not be a solution for you! I feel for ya!

My dentist has told me that work on your mouth at all can irritate the nerves around the area that was worked on and sometimes it takes a while for them to calm down again. I had a root canal once that hurt off and on for over a year before it calmed down. I had them check it repeatedly and they always said it was fine and eventually it did stop hurting.