Menu

Do you buy ahead?

Earth Yarn

I don't just mean a year ahead but several :P

Like if you find a curriculum that works for you and you love do you buy ahead in years so you have it in case it went out of print? This would apply more to the smaller curricula out there that is independently published or something that would have a higher chance of disappearing. Just curious cause there are several curricula that I have come across in my wanderings that I'd be afraid would disappear before the kiddos had a chance to get through it all. Oh and this is more for older kid curricula not pre-k if that makes a difference :P

Absolutely not (any more!). Things change. Kids change. Even learning styles sometimes change as kids get older. And real life intervenes, so you may not even be homeschooling or the time you have to homeschool may limit the kinds of things you can choose in a particular year. New things come out that might be a better fit. Even the curriculum you love today might be revised and you would love it more and want to update by the time you were to use it.

Now if we were currently using something and found out for sure that it was going OOP, I might buy ahead to finish up that series (for instance, if we were in a 6th grade book and we would have to buy 7th and 8th to have all of them).

But otherwise, for my family, this would end up a huge waste of money.

Edited by Asenik

I've done this a bit. I bought all three volumes of K12's Human Odyssey, even though we haven't gotten to it yet (will be starting in maybe a month?). I really like it and it's not readily available, so when I saw volumes at a good price, I snapped them up.

A bit similar for CPO's Earth Science - we're using Life Science now, and I saw the Earth Science volumes for only $12 - couldn't pass that up.

I have Singapore Discovering Mathematics on the shelf for when we finish Singapore 6 (my older two are in 6th), but true, that's only one year ahead - oh, but I do have a Forester's algebra on hand for after that... I did buy the rest of the US version Singapore workbooks and CWPs for my younger dd (she's in 4th now, so that's still just 2 yrs ahead), as well as the rest of her Penmanship books (Getty-Dubay), but except for DM, all of those have been in some kind of flux this year and I was worried they might disappear.

I don't curriculum-hop much at all, and I have a very good track record of figuring out what will work for us after doing a bit of research, so it doesn't bother me much to do a bit of pre-shopping. We pretty much stuck out everything through the elementary years, and last year I spent a lot of time agonizing over middle school materials, so when I figured out what I wanted, I tried to pick stuff that would last me through till high school.

I have resisted buying the whole next two levels of MCT LA so far, or the entire LOF curriculum... :tongue_smilie:

I have done this to regret, but also to success. I won't do it unless I KNOW for sure the program is working. Some things I would buy ahead are

Tapestry of Grace

Phonics Road

Latin Road

Otherwise, I just bought Singapore US Edition Primary Math b/c they're changing the format and I don't want to replace teacher books, etc.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I've only bought a few things for way in advance, mostly books. I bought SOTW Vol 1-4 and their AGs for my own reading and to make book lists because I can be building my library in the years leading up to using it. I also bought Hakim's History of US 11 volume set very early because I got the 3rd edition brand new in hardcover for only $80 and I wanted to read it myself anyway. I also bought all 6 of Singapore's CWP books before they went out of print.

The only time so far I've made a mistake is buying Saxon K-2 because I was sure I was going to like it. I hated it. On the bright side, I bought it used and can probably sell it without a loss. Whew! I need to get on that though...

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I have resisted buying the whole next two levels of MCT LA so far, or the entire LOF curriculum... :tongue_smilie:

OK, I'm not going to resist LOF anymore. It's on my wish list this Christmas...for my (and DH's) self-education first, for the kids later. If I get 5 uses for it, it's a bargain!

Wait, they're changing the format of the US Edition? What are they changing?

I'm not sure of the whole deal, but I thought they were disco. the Challenging Word Problems and doing something different with the Primary US Series. Much of it is no longer available at Rainbow Resource.

Last week, I went to bestedusource.com and stocked up.

I'll search threads for clarification.

I did this year, but only because we use A Beka curriculum and I found a Christian school that was closing down and were selling all their books (brand new) for $3 each. So, I bought for next year (2nd grade) because I knew I wanted to continue on with their phonics program and the boys are doing well with the math, so I figured why change? I also got my daughter's K5 curriculum. That'll be put away for a couple of years, but even if she ends up not using it (I can't see why she wouldn't) I'd only be out about $12.

Only if it's a REALLY good deal (e.g., I found a few Oak Meadow books for almost nothing at a book sale--turned out I didn't like them, so I resold them very cheaply). I've bought some things that are sure to resell because they were very good deals (the SOTW books and AGs, FLL, RS4K). But in general, no, I try not to buy too far ahead, just in case.

No. I've never had something go out of print that I wanted that I couldn't buy used somewhere or find something else instead. On the other hand, I've bought things ahead, being "SURE" that it was what we needed--only to get to that age and realize it wasn't going to work out after all. I don't buy more than a year ahead now. It's just not worth it to me.

Merry :-)

I buy books years ahead - classics, living books for history and science, etc. - whenever I find a good deal - yard sales, used book stores, scholastic warehouse sale. We love books here.

Curriculum I buy ahead, but not usually more than a year ahead. I research years ahead, but I do change my mind often, based on what programs have worked for us, what new things are out there.

Depends on what it is and how great of a deal I have gotten. I have bought several years ahead of MUS because I got killer deals. I have done the same with apologia elementary science. Most things I buy 1 year ahead, so that I am always a year ahead in my funding and so that I have time to find great deals and not be left without needed items due to $$. I didn't do that last year and have been had to struggle to get everything this year, so by the end of next week we will be back to being 1 year ahead with my book orders.

I've purchased some things ahead when I was sure I would want them later. I did that last year with MUS when they published their new editions. The new editions are more expensive. I KNOW my oldest son will stick with MUS for atleast a few more years. I've purchased some Rod & Staff materials ahead of time because I know we will be using their language arts for a number of years. I have also purchased the Heart of Dakota teacher guides that I'll need for the next several years. I just did that because I love HOD and couldn't wait to see the guides! My youngest son is covered for atleast the next three years for everything except math.

I wouldn't have done this the first couple of years of homeschooling but I've done it long enough now that I know what I like and I know what works for us. If I change my mind, I change my mind.

I'm not sure of the whole deal, but I thought they were disco. the Challenging Word Problems and doing something different with the Primary US Series. Much of it is no longer available at Rainbow Resource.

Last week, I went to bestedusource.com and stocked up.

I'll search threads for clarification.

As per Singapore Math, nothing is changing!

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums...ead.php?t=1740

It would have to be a stunning buy for me to want to purchase very far ahead. When we first started schooling at home I pigged out on lots of curriculum items that sounded exciting, but didn't really work for us. Money is more of an issue for us now than it used to be, so I am pickier about what I buy. Of course, if I saw an amazing deal on something at a garage sale I might still go for it! :001_smile:

Kathleen

Totally guilty.

My baby is almost 2 and I have almost everything for his next four years already. I have tons of manipulatives, fun activities, games, classic books, blah blah blah. I'm actually glad I bought ahead because he can already use some of the things with adaptations. I love to coordinate different things myself and am having a blast.

My 3rd grade son is doing Core 2 and I am working on what we'll do for next year. We'll do US history but I am largely coordinating my own program, so I have been collecting resources. I initially bought ahead for math but now we are using it so ... it's all good.

I bought most of my 8th grader's curriculum before she even agreed to homeschool. We're using everything I bought, at least!

I am saving stuff I used with my middle child to try with my youngest, but I don't really count that as buying ahead.

Postage is such a huge cost here (sometimes more than double the cost of the book itself), that I do buy ahead if I get a willing courier from the States.

So, we got the full series of SOTW, AG's and CD's while doing SOTW2 as I knew we'd use it all. We also have Singapore up to 6B. The next courier will bring IEW materials. In the past we've also bought reference books (like Kingfisher history) this way.

As the library here is very poor (it only had 2 books for the entire reading list of SOTW2!), I carry reading lists from WTM, Sonlight, Veritas, SOTW, etc in my handbag and buy 2nd hand or from Bookmooch.com whenever I can. The lists go up to grade 12 and over the last 4 to 5 years we've built a solid home library for school. To stay ahead of what we own, I've catalogued the books on Librarything.com.

Sort of.

One of the many library sales I regularly raid often has college text books. At $1 each, I usually grab the 100 and 200 level books that look like they might be useful in late high school. I've found a few great books on writing and literature (and combined writing and literature) that look promising, and some other random topics.

If I were to find a great deal on high school math and had the cash on hand, I'd probably snatch it up.

But I don't *intentionally* shop ahead. Even though I've only been at this whole curriculum buying for 3 years, I've seen how quickly new and interesting things come out.

I have done it in the past, but no more. I have whole sets of curricula on my shelves that we have never used, or used briefly. Also, what works for one child may not work for the next

At this point, the only thing I buy ahead are classics that I find at library or used book sales to add to our library.

I buy books years ahead - classics, living books for history and science, etc. - whenever I find a good deal - yard sales, used book stores, scholastic warehouse sale. We love books here.

Curriculum I buy ahead, but not usually more than a year ahead. I research years ahead, but I do change my mind often, based on what programs have worked for us, what new things are out there.

This is about what I do. I have found many great selections at our local thrift stores.

Sort of.

One of the many library sales I regularly raid often has college text books. At $1 each, I usually grab the 100 and 200 level books that look like they might be useful in late high school. I've found a few great books on writing and literature (and combined writing and literature) that look promising, and some other random topics.

If I were to find a great deal on high school math and had the cash on hand, I'd probably snatch it up.

But I don't *intentionally* shop ahead. Even though I've only been at this whole curriculum buying for 3 years, I've seen how quickly new and interesting things come out.

I do this as well. I'm working on my own self ed, especially in the science/math area. I have two shelves worth of high school/college math and science books. Most have been acquired at thrift stores or through paperbackswap.

The only math I actively seek is older Dolciani. For other subjects unless I'm using it for self ed I don't buy more than a year ahead.

I buy books ahead. I'm really glad that I have, in fact, because my literature costs go down every year.

Curricula, I don't buy more than a year ahead (e.g., I know what we're going to use for grammar next year, so I've bought a portion of that already).

The other exception is Teaching Company lectures. If they are something that dh and/or I will find interesting, I've bought courses on sale that I wouldn't have dd using for several years, but I know that in the meantime, it will see use.