Menu

How to transition from ETC to SW?

Pretty in Pink

We are using and love ETC with our 1st grader. He's currently in book 3. I finally got a copy of TWTM (albeit the second edition) and I see that SWB suggests SW in 1st through 6th grade.

I've got a current 6th grader who spells quite well despite not having had a day of spelling instruction. I'm guessing I just got lucky there! I'd like to plan better for my rising student.

Should I transition him to SW soon?

We are using and love ETC with our 1st grader. He's currently in book 3. I finally got a copy of TWTM (albeit the second edition) and I see that SWB suggests SW in 1st through 6th grade.

I've got a current 6th grader who spells quite well despite not having had a day of spelling instruction. I'm guessing I just got lucky there! I'd like to plan better for my rising student.

Should I transition him to SW soon?

With my elder two dc, I did Phonics Pathways for reading, and we floundered through one spelling program after another. they are in 7th and 8th, and finally getting a handle on spelling, just from more practice writing, and using Megawords.

My #3 dc is an amazing speller. But with him I used Phonics Pathways for reading, and he is going to finish ETC books 7 and 8 this year. I don't know if it is the fact that he used ETC, or if he is just a natural speller, but his spelling blows away what his older siblings could do at the same age. He can spell words that I know he has only read in books.

We'll see how #4 does, as I'm using PP and ETC with her as well.

don't know if that helps or not. :001_huh:

My DS is 7 yo and in 2nd grade. I plan to finish ETC 6 (should be done at the end of this month), then work on spelling with him. I plan to keep working through ETC 7 and 8 while we do spelling, or I might alternate between phonics and spelling for the next year. BTW, I plan to use All About Spelling, to get away from the workbooks a little and so phonics will be reinforced again. SW is my back-up plan.