Menu

BJUP dvd 5th grade do you think it is too much to do .....

Jeana

Hello all. I started using 5th grade BJUP against my better judgement because my daughter talked me into it. Her older brother started 7 this year and she wanted to do it too. I was planning on WTM with her brother but she talked me into the other. However, she hasn't had the writing instruction that she should have. If there is something that I have learned for my upcoming 6yr old is that I won't shirk on the WTM way with writing etc. I can see now where it is needed. Do you think that adding Writing Strands and Outlining practice is too much to add to this curriculum? It takes all day already. I was also thinking of having her do History and Science alternating weeks or History 3 days, Science 2 days and then switch to Science 3, History 2. What is your advice/and or opinion. I want to make sure she is where she needs to be. I already dropped Math in favor of Singapore. I just thought it was better. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jeana

I guess I'm flabbergasted that you're wanting to add more on top of your already full day. That just isn't reasonable, if only because kids need a LIFE, kwim? BJU materials are different than what you're used to, because they spread their writing across the curriculum. There's writing in the reading, writing in history, writing in science. They're going to cover outlining in the BJU Reading 5, so you don't need to add it. They're going to outline history in the upper levels too. You don't need to add it.

How far are you into the lessons so far? Also, can I ask if you know WHY your dd wanted to do those lessons? I'm not meaning to pry, but it might be that she had reasons other than academic, more related to things like your work dynamic together, health, or her wanting to be independent? I'm just asking, because it might be in re-inserting yourself you're messing with that. The BJU math 5 is perfectly fine, very good actually. It's more well-rounded than Singapore. If you don't like the teacher or something, I understand. But as a math curriculum it's perfectly fine, very good in fact.

If it were me, I would do the BJU stuff you bought, stop tweaking it, and put your energy into planning next year. Add a quilting or handicrafts or cooking class. Don't change what is working constantly searching for perfection. There's nothing wrong with what you've got, and if you use it as a whole, it's actually going to pan out just fine.

I guess I'm flabbergasted that you're wanting to add more on top of your already full day. That just isn't reasonable, if only because kids need a LIFE, kwim? BJU materials are different than what you're used to, because they spread their writing across the curriculum. There's writing in the reading, writing in history, writing in science. They're going to cover outlining in the BJU Reading 5, so you don't need to add it. They're going to outline history in the upper levels too. You don't need to add it. Well, you are right about the writing across the subjects and I was dropping all the writing across the curriculum because dd is struggling with it. Do I just perservere with all the writing throughout the curriculum? She loves Writing Strands and is continuing to do it even though they said she could have a week off. I was also thinking of making Science and History less during the week but she seems to be catching up with that.

How far are you into the lessons so far? She is around lessons 25-30 in all subjects. Also, can I ask if you know WHY your dd wanted to do those lessons? I'm not meaning to pry, but it might be that she had reasons other than academic, more related to things like your work dynamic together, health, or her wanting to be independent? I'm just asking, because it might be in re-inserting yourself you're messing with that. She wanted to do it because it looked fun. Now she keeps wanting me to teach her. I think she thought she would like the freedom away from me but now realizes that she misses that one on one. The BJU math 5 is perfectly fine, very good actually. It's more well-rounded than Singapore. If you don't like the teacher or something, I understand. But as a math curriculum it's perfectly fine, very good in fact. She hates the teacher but I need to be more firm and make her just perserve. She has done Singapore all the way but I need to just stick to what I bought and add Singapore as enrinchment.

If it were me, I would do the BJU stuff you bought, stop tweaking it, and put your energy into planning next year. Add a quilting or handicrafts or cooking class. Don't change what is working constantly searching for perfection. There's nothing wrong with what you've got, and if you use it as a whole, it's actually going to pan out just fine. Thanks for the reassurance. I needed a bit of a kick in the pants to just stick to what I am doing and stop worrying that it won't be good enough. I do find it hard to stay on top of all that they are doing but that's what we sign up to when we choose to home school.

Since you seem to know a lot about BJU, do you think it is too much to add Vocabulary to the 7th grade program?

Thanks again,

Jeana O'Donnell

My friend used only BJU K-12 and she scored extremely high on the math section in BJU. I don't think you need enrichment for it. It is a very good program. It teaches conceptually. I thought BJU had a vocab program for 7th? The same friend used all BJU all the way through and was a national merit scholar and great in al subjects. You don't need to supplement any of it. Also I kind of think that if you make her do all the writing she will eventually get used to it. You just may have to help her along until she finally gets it. OhElizabeth can answer that question better than me though.

The dvd's were never meant to be a total replacement for you. You might need to find a balance. Teach her the math and one other subject and use the dvd for the rest, something like that. No, that doesn't seem wise to drop the writing simply because she's having trouble with it. To me that's a sign she needs some help and needs to rise to the challenge. The writing expectations are very age-appropriate, so if she's struggling, it's clearly something she needs to work on. I wouldn't let that slide. Have her do the writing.

I don't know why I gave you such a kick in the pants, hehe. It certainly is none of my business what you do. I just think when you paid that much and have something perfectly good, you shouldn't chicken out from a weak moment. You haven't said things like the materials not working, needing a different level, blah blah. You just have the normal worries. Have you seen http://www.hightestscores.com ? As LadyAberlin says, BJU materials have a good track record and are GOOD. I happen to think the math is very good in fact. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it does some very good things conceptually with the way it covers topics, has a clear tm, colorful texts, and covers EVERYTHING they need to cover. I understand why Singapore focuses on topics one at a time, but even when you're done with the progression through 6 you still have topics uncovered. With BJU you have a one-stop shop, everything covered. That's worth a lot. Sorry you're not liking the 5th gr math teacher. I think my SIL said the same thing, that my nephew, who also does it, didn't like the teacher. You can teach it yourself and be fine. It's not a hard level, and I think math is best taught in person anyway. That way you know how they're doing and can make sure they really think and don't zone out.

When my baby was born a year ago, I desperately wanted to do the dvd's, even talked with them on the phone, etc. My dh said not to because he thought that's what would happen, that it would be fun and then fizzle. Some days I wish for it and some days I don't. I do think my dd is that same personality or type who would want it and then want to toss when it was no longer to her fancy. But this is the age where things are no longer so driven by fancy. She picked, and she needs to do it. Don't play the blame game, and don't doubt yourself. Make some tweaks, teach the math yourself, but do it. That's what I say. And it may turn out to be for the better. When you're doing things very ecclectically, you don't realize where you're holes are. By doing this you're starting to see the holes. It might turn out to be for the best.

Don't doubt yourself!

BJUP 5th Grade Reading w/DVDs is an awesome class with a terrific teacher. But we didn't have time to do it either.

This is how we compromised: We watched every day up to the point where Mrs. Walker assigned the silent reading, then I had my son do the reading and the worksheet. We did not go back and finish the rest of the video. That reduced about 40 minutes worth of work (30 minutes for the video, 5 to read the story, and 5 to do the worksheet, just an estimate) down to 15 minutes (5 to watch the intro, 5 to read the story, and 5 to do the worksheet).

Yes, I know we missed a lot of good stuff. But we also GOT a lot of good stuff. Mrs. Walker is a delightful teacher; and even in her brief daily introduction, she did get my son interested in the reading. (We did on occasion watch the whole class.)

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Elizabeth,

I understand what you are saying about making her do the writing and I wouldn't have a problem with that if I had been one of those people who were taught well how to write a 4 paragraph essay. I can't even begin to tell you how to do it, let alone tell my dd 10. I don't even understand what makes one change from one paragraph to another. I am a failure in so many ways when it comes to my kids education and sometimes only just keeping my head above water trying to learn algebra, parts of a cell etc. with my ds 12. He too can't construct a well written essay. He can write good sentances and has a good imagination. He did Student Writing Intensive and understands more than me. Honestly though I am really struggling. That is why I thought it would be good to just go through Writing Strands and do our best with the rest of the curriculum that we have. In light of what I am saying what do you think I should do now. I just looked over the teacher's manual on a Compare Contrast Essay and it all looks greek to me! Sorry to be whining but don't know what else to say.

Thanks in advance for listening,

Jeana

How did it go today? The boards were down today, so everyone got a lot of schooling done, right? Hehe, I painted, dd did school. It was a good day. :)

On the english and things you don't know, you're going to have to make your battles with that and win them. If you can't sort out their tm, you have an issue. I'll tell you though, BJU tends to break everything down into steps, so it might not be as bad as you're thinking. Did you actually look at the student worktext and see the organizes and steps they break it into? The end product sounds intimidating, but it might be they walk you through it clearly enough that it's just fine. Don't lose the battle before you even start, kwim?

You are NOT a failure. You're just recognizing some holes in your education. You either have to be brave and fix them, or you need to find something to help you (tutor, IEW, co-op class, whatever). I have no qualms with Writing Strands. As long as you pick SOMETHING and stick with it, moving forward through a progression, you're probably going to be fine.

I have a little self-education story for you. I went to church with a lady who had never graduated from high school. This lady had 8 or 9 kids, homeschooled them, was active visiting the sick, etc. She had fabulous results, fabulous children, and one day I quizzed her daughters about how she had done it. The daughters clearly looked up to her, and what it boiled down to was that everything the mom didn't know, she sat there studying and boning up on. She took those kids all the way into precalc and calculus doing this! A high school drop-out! And I saw the kids' test scores, so I know they were doing well.

We all are doing self-education and going back and learning these things we didn't learn the first time through. You're not the only one. Materials you can deal with help, certainly. I don't have my dd writing 4 paragraph compare/contrast essays, and they'd probably befuddle me too. WTM takes a slower approach to writing. WS is fine. Just pick something and do it.

How did it go today? The boards were down today, so everyone got a lot of schooling done, right? Hehe, I painted, dd did school. It was a good day. :)

On the english and things you don't know, you're going to have to make your battles with that and win them. If you can't sort out their tm, you have an issue. I'll tell you though, BJU tends to break everything down into steps, so it might not be as bad as you're thinking. Did you actually look at the student worktext and see the organizes and steps they break it into? The end product sounds intimidating, but it might be they walk you through it clearly enough that it's just fine. Don't lose the battle before you even start, kwim?

You are NOT a failure. You're just recognizing some holes in your education. You either have to be brave and fix them, or you need to find something to help you (tutor, IEW, co-op class, whatever). I have no qualms with Writing Strands. As long as you pick SOMETHING and stick with it, moving forward through a progression, you're probably going to be fine.

I have a little self-education story for you. I went to church with a lady who had never graduated from high school. This lady had 8 or 9 kids, homeschooled them, was active visiting the sick, etc. She had fabulous results, fabulous children, and one day I quizzed her daughters about how she had done it. The daughters clearly looked up to her, and what it boiled down to was that everything the mom didn't know, she sat there studying and boning up on. She took those kids all the way into precalc and calculus doing this! A high school drop-out! And I saw the kids' test scores, so I know they were doing well.

We all are doing self-education and going back and learning these things we didn't learn the first time through. You're not the only one. :)

Elizabeth,

Thanks again.

We had a great day. I started back the Math and am sooo glad I did. However, I am staying with Writing Strands as she is loving it and constructing some great sentences and it is only the second week.

She is still watching the class and making an effort and I am going to watch it with her.

Believe me I know about self education. I didn't drop out of High School but I almost failed my math classes and my 12 yr old has finished Singapore up to level 6 and is in prealgebra. He desperately wants to be a scientist so I am doing everything I can to stay one step ahead in things. I can only do my best and let God and the children to the rest. As we all know it is a struggle at times. I always second guess myself and wonder if they will turn out alright. The Lord knows.

Thanks again and hope your schooling continues to go well too.

Jeana

Jeana, I know one major christian university did a study of their homeschooled students' progress and found that by the end of their freshman year the students had leveled out and were on par with the rest, despite sometimes coming in with deficiencies or poor background in some subjects. So while you want to do the best you can, it WILL pan out in the wash. Good character, work ethic, and a few basic skills (reading comprehension, etc.) will carry them a long way.

Oh, Jeana, one more thought: You mentioned that your daughter hates watching the 5th grade math teacher. So did we. Have you watched her? It's torture. We love HomeSat, but a dud's a dud. There's no way I'd force anyone to watch that class. Have her watch 5th grade reading and teacher 5th grade math yourself.

:)

(One person's opinion.)

Cindy

Edited by Cindyg

Thanks so much for you help and support. I know Mrs. Frank isn't that good but we are perservering with her so I can help with writing, my 6 yr old, and my 12 yr olds ever increasing questions. I am really trying to make this work. If it weren't for my strong convictions I would send them to school. I shall do my best and that is all I can expect of myself. Again thanks,

Jeana

Edited by Jeana