Menu

big brother/big sister gifts?

Hi everybody!

I have a nephew due to come any day now! Yay! He has an older sister who is three. I would really like to get her something special, something that would make her feel like it wasn't all about the baby. I also have another niece or nephew due next month who has a 2 year old brother. I'd also like to do something for him. I've been thinking about this and I just haven't come up with anything I really like. Any btdt advice? Thanks so much!

I usually buy bath themed toys for older siblings. You can get fun bath toys/bubbles/crayons at most stores for younger kids, and keep the theme for teen siblings as well with scented body washes. Then I buy a baby bath item, like a cute washcloth puppet for the baby.

Hi everybody!

I have a nephew due to come any day now! Yay! He has an older sister who is three. I would really like to get her something special' date=' something that would make her feel like it wasn't all about the baby. I also have another niece or nephew due next month who has a 2 year old brother. I'd also like to do something for him. I've been thinking about this and I just haven't come up with anything I really like. Any btdt advice? Thanks so much![/quote']

Congratulations on the upcoming little ones!

Maybe a "big-girl" purse for the girl? Put in a wallet and little money, a comb, barrettes, makeup or nail things if her mom lets her do that stuff...

Or a "baby" of her own to take care of alongside her mom and the real baby. One w/its own little accessories.

The boy might like wooden blocks or a set of Mega Blocks.

Soft fleece blankets w/a favorite theme or character?

If you're nearby, you could take them out for some "away" time to do something fun like lunch or bowling or a park/playground. That would help mom, too!

Have fun shopping/deciding!

Chelle

When my third was born, a friend gave each child, including the baby, their own book by Kevin Henkes. I liked that they were each appropriate for their age: Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse for the oldest, Owen for the middle, and Kitten's First Full Moon for the baby (although he wouldn't be able to enjoy it for a while). It made them feel that they were getting similar gifts to the baby, and reinforced the big sister quality - "You're older, so you get your own special book for older kids."

I also just like giving books as gifts. :)

Erica in OR

I may be in the minority here but I'd check w/the parents first to see if they are OK w/their dd getting a gift. People gave us gifts for #1 when #2 was born and I put the gifts in a bag in the closet for Christmas. It was just a personal decision yet no one checked with me, they all assumed I would be OK with giving my other dc a gift with the birth of a new baby. Just a thought...

If mom/dad are good with a gift, I'd go with something baby-related like a doll/book, etc.

I may be in the minority here but I'd check w/the parents first to see if they are OK w/their dd getting a gift. People gave us gifts for #1 when #2 was born and I put the gifts in a bag in the closet for Christmas. It was just a personal decision yet no one checked with me, they all assumed I would be OK with giving my other dc a gift with the birth of a new baby. Just a thought...

If mom/dad are good with a gift, I'd go with something baby-related like a doll/book, etc.

It would never occur to me to check - - why were you not okay with it?

ditto--I was about to write similarly but can tag on to here. I really don't like it when people give the my other kids presents for a sibling's event. Even when they were little and friends said, "Because they don't UNDERSTAND why little brother is getting a gift and they aren't".

We chose to use it (even at 19 months old) as a learning experience--Wow! look what baby T. got! won't that be fun to play with?

It isn't "all about the baby", it's all about the family and the fun of being a sibling, and we preferred to do it without extra gifts.

I appreciated gifts that came at birthday parties and when the babies were born, but if given a choice, would have politely refused them if the friends had asked me beforehand.

For the record, my two older boys now are the best sharers I have EVER seen, and very unselfish--

Betsy

My dd was between 2 and 2.5 yo when ds was born. She really enoyed receiving a little purse with a dollar bill in it from one person. I actually bought her a little backpack with her favorite storybook character on it to have for her at the hospital when she visited. I filled it with new things for her to do: a little notebook and special pen for drawing, a coloring book and crayons, a wooden puzzle, etc. I also put in a few of her favorite snacks. She really liked it.

She also liked a shirt that someone made for her which read Big Sister, especially because they also made a onesie for ds that read Little Brother. She was so proud of her baby brother and liked for them to wear the shirts at the same time.

When my second nephew was born his older brother was almost 3. I tried to think of some things that might be fun for him to do and keep him occupied while his mom was feeding the baby. I bought him some Crayola Color Wonder paper and the markers that won't write on anything but that paper, so he could draw and color while his mom was busy, without writing on the walls (which he was famous for!) We also bought him a few new books to go along with the board books we bought for his little brother.

I think at the toddler stage anything that will keep them busy for a while without creating a mess would be welcome. Also, kids that age can be fascinated by small things, like a box of character Band-aids and a miniature can of Play-doh. It doesn't have to be anything expensive. Little girls that age often like little purses and bags, so it might be fun to fill up a small purse with little things. When dd was that age she had a miniature baby doll that she just loved. I think it cost a dollar at Walmart, but she wanted to take it everywhere with her. Good luck!

It would never occur to me to check - - why were you not okay with it?
I'm not OK with it because I didn't want to even go there, meaning compensating my dc with gifts just because a sibling had arrived. The whole attitude behind the gift giving was what got me (it was my mil who initiated it but then she always felt sorry that my dd became a big sister at only 13.5mo). From there we have adopted the same attitude - when it is a sibling's celebration then the others don't get gifts. My dc had their own Birth Days and birthdays, they don't need to receive things for everyone else's special days (good grief, can you imagine the gift load at this point in our family?! ;)).

Now, there are some gifts I would be OK with (but would still appreciate a heads-up from the giver beforehand). There is a book called The Room in My Heart that is written to an older dd when her baby brother is about to arrive. Or a Big Sister shirt would be fine, too. But a gift just because a baby has arrived doesn't sit well with me.

I know sometimes parents are concerned about the other siblings feeling "left out" because the new baby gets so much attention. It never occurred to me to get my children a gift.

My Mom however had a very good idea. While she kept my older 2 children (then 4 & 6) while I was in the hospital, she took them shopping and let them each pick out a small gift for their new brother.

They were so happy presenting their new baby brother with the gifts and proud at the fact they picked the gifts out themselves that I don't think a gift for them could have made them any happier.

Thanks for the ideas! I love the little purse idea, especially. I really love the idea of taking the older child to pick a present for the younger....but I don't think that's my place here. I remember going with my dad to pick something out when my younger siblings were born and still in the hospital.

I never would have considered that my sil and bil's would care that I brought a gift for their kids for any or no occasion. Sometimes, I have found good deals on things that I know they'd like and I've picked them up just because! They've never seemed offended!

Interestingly enough, I'm not concerned about my own son feeling left out when he has more siblings (which will hopefully be soon!) but..... I don't know.....I think a birth is different than a birthday party. I'm not going to give all the kids presents every time anyone has a birthday!