Menu

skip counting

kfeusse

We are using Saxon for math and there is a huge emphasis on skip counting and my daughter is having a huge mental block....she can do 10, 20, 30, 40, etc...but then when they ask her ___,___, ___, ___, ___, ____. 230, 240, 250, 260...she just shuts down...especially if she needs to go back into the 1 hundreds. Does that make sense? So my question is does anybody have any way to help this click with her that might be sort of fun too? Thanks.

Kathy

put it to music.

write on a board for her to see, in columns:

0 100 200

10 110 210

20 120 220

30 130 230

40 140 240

50 150

60 160

70 170

80 180

90 190

etc. and help her identify the patters:

end in zero

the tens place increases by 1 *you might actually build this with manipulative*

then the hundreds just go up one round with each column.

break down when she starts in the middle, like at 240, and have her identify where in the columns the number is. This should help her go forward or backward.

if you make her a Master Column Page (or she copies from your board) then she can refer to it until it clicks mentally and she doesn't need the visual.

HTH and makes sense :)

put it to music.

write on a board for her to see, in columns:

0 100 200

10 110 210

20 120 220

30 130 230

40 140 240

50 150

60 160

70 170

80 180

90 190

I could do this, but it's with every pattern, not just the 10's...so it could be skip counting by 3's, 7's or 9's....so would I make a sheet for each possiblity? But that sort seems like it wouldn't help her, because she will rely on that sheet like it will save her life someday. What do you think??

put it to music.

I could do this, but it's with every pattern, not just the 10's...so it could be skip counting by 3's, 7's or 9's....so would I make a sheet for each possiblity? But that sort seems like it wouldn't help her, because she will rely on that sheet like it will save her life someday. What do you think??

I would do the sheet for each set, but then make a new one leaving blanks. I see what you mean about relying on the sheet, but you'd just have to require her to grow out of it. It's just one of those practice, practice, drill, drill boring math things :)