Menu

Natural remedies for ADHD?

Anyone treat their child's ADHD with supplements?

It appears to be time to do something about my 9yo's ADHD. I spoke with a psychiatrist friend who teacher her in co-op and, when I told her dd was beginning to have problems with friends and some behavioral issues were cropping up, she agreed it was time to treat her. She made a compelling case to give Straterra a fair shot over stimulants. (I am NOT interested in getting opinions on her medical opinions.) However, I would really like to try some supplements first.

DD seems to buck the trend for girls with ADHD and is more hyper than distracted. I have read about using GABA and fish oil regularly. I also saw a supplement called Attend, but that seems rather expensive. The reviews on it seem positive, but I really have no way of verifying the reviews. I will be calling our natural pharmacy today to get some input, but anyone have any to offer?

Anyone treat their child's ADHD with supplements?

It appears to be time to do something about my 9yo's ADHD. I spoke with a psychiatrist friend who teacher her in co-op and, when I told her dd was beginning to have problems with friends and some behavioral issues were cropping up, she agreed it was time to treat her. She made a compelling case to give Straterra a fair shot over stimulants. (I am NOT interested in getting opinions on her medical opinions.) However, I would really like to try some supplements first.

DD seems to buck the trend for girls with ADHD and is more hyper than distracted. I have read about using GABA and fish oil regularly. I also saw a supplement called Attend, but that seems rather expensive. The reviews on it seem positive, but I really have no way of verifying the reviews. I will be calling our natural pharmacy today to get some input, but anyone have any to offer?

I purchased Attend a couple of years ago -- we used it in the afternoon when ds' dose of prescription ADHD med 'ran out' - which was typically around 3pm. I thought it worked well -- ds' chief complaint was that it gave him reflux -- really bad reflux. He tried a few different ways to possibly alleviate the reflux but we were unable to get past that. I stopped the Attend --

Fast forward -- ds is still on vyvanse -- I have cleaned up his diet (and ours, as well :001_smile:), he takes supplements (although not zinc and I will have to look into that), but is still on the same dosage of Vyvanse. I would like him off it, but it works. We do take a break from it every few months, and then we go back on it. He does take a liquid vitamin supplement for ADHD that I found at MOM's (my organic market) -- and I think we get positive results with that (cannot recall the name of it offhand). And, he sees an Osteopathic Physician every month for treatment. He is always cracking his neck and he seems to get relief from the visits with her. In fact, the look on his face is amazing --his entire contenance relaxes after treatment. He has a twin sister so they were really packed in there in utero, and I do think this continues to have an effect on him (and her). Our objective is to get off the Vyvanse, but in the meantime, if I have any hope of getting him off it, I must have his attention in the process. Sorry I cannot be more helpful --

Short answer: I think Attend is worth trying.:)

LOTS of things over the years so I'll share what helped. In our case my son has severe ADD, but instead of being hyper he is very sluggish and lethargic--so we are constantly trying to get him more 'hyper' to function. Among the things he's taken, these stand out to me as targeting attention/hyper issues:

Cod Liver Oil (make sure it is heavy metal free)

Super Nu Thera multivitamin from Kirkman Labs (this is pricey, but an essential part of our 'focus' regimen)

I think it is the B vitamins, specifically the form of B6 in it that target his concentration--tried them individually with a similar result--so if you could get that seperately to save $. It is specifically the Pyridoxine form of B6--they aren't all the same. Kirkman used to sell that individually and it was pretty inexpensive, and then you could ask for a free trial of the Super Nu Thera while you're at it. We've been using it for 8 years with great results. I can really tell when we've gone a few days without it.

Magnesium is really great for calming you down. Several of us take it and notice a big difference in agitation, difficulty falling asleep--and its beneficial for overall health as well. Its also cheap!

I was recently told by a friend that a supplement called "Calm Child" significantly helped her ADD daughter--haven't tried that yet here, but thought I'd mention.

Hope this is helpful! I understand what you're going through!

I'm sorry I don't have any feedback to offer you concerning supplements. But I wanted to say that regular exercise helps my daughter's focus tremendously. She doesn't have the hyperactivity like yours, but I still wanted to put that out there just in case it could help. My dd takes taekwondo four or five days a week, and this has been such a blessing. Our homeschool would not be the same without it.

With dd (now 13yo - diagnosed with ADHD/ADD-inattentive at 7yo) we used fish oil and Attend along with changing her diet to remove any potentially allergy-causing foods and unnatural additives (we did a modified version of the Feingold Program) and switching to unschooling. When we ran out of Attend, I didn't buy more - I just wasn't sure there was much of a difference with it. I kept up with all the other changes and attention, moods, hyperactivity, and overexciteabilities significantly lessened after a few months. Dd was never on meds. It's been 6 years and she hardly shows any ADHD/ADD-inattentive symptoms.