Menu

Any good Japanese programs for kids that...

Earth Yarn

My kids went through a Japanese language phase when they were small (maybe 7 and 4?). I just bought Learn in Your Car: Japanese and Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese from a used book store along with a copies of A Guide to Learning Hiragana & Katakana: First Steps to Reading and Writing Japanese by Kenneth G. Henshall and Tetsuo Takagaki and Kanji Pictographix by Michael Rowley. We had a good (and surprisingly fruitful!) time with it until they moved on to other things. I've never seen a Japanese program specifically for children, so I'm interested in seeing what others recommend.

Our local library has Mango Languages for free through their website. It isn't a textbook program, but you will learn the language. I haven't checked out whether there is any learning of the written characters. Mango offers Japanese along with other languages.

Also, there is a great program available for ten dollars(?) as an iphone application called Human Japanese. My dh was doing that one recently and I know they do cover the written form as well as phonetics.