Menu

How long do you have your children use handwriting paper with the lines?

3lilreds in NC

I'm curious - at what point are children usually able to do their copywork without handwriting paper? We're just finishing up our cursive copybooks, which use the dotted lines. The girls know how to form all the letters; at this point, it's just practice. I came up to print some paper with StartWrite for one dd, and she asked if she could just use notebook paper. Woo hoo! I know the other one will not want to do that, though, and probably won't move to regular paper until I force the issue. It's not a big deal at the moment, as I think she can use the practice with the lines. I'm just curious when I should start making that transition.

How long do "they" continue to make the special handwriting paper? My dd is using "second-grade" paper. I know that the teacher supply store I got it at also has "third-grade" paper. Do they make it after that?

Tara

I just bought ds9 some 4th grade paper.

Beth: It really depends on the kid. My oldest has great handwriting and has been using notebook paper for a long time. He's one of those kids who probably could've started out with it. Ds9--uh, we tried it. To say it was a failure would be an understatement. I've got ds7 using the 4th grade paper as well--he'll probably be ready for notebook paper in the next year.

We've only used extra lined paper for preschool, maybe kindergarten. I actually find it's easier for my kids to use small pencils and small lines more of the time, so we stick to regular pencils (sometimes with a pencil grip) and wide-rule notebook paper (college rule around 5th or 6th grade).

How long do "they" continue to make the special handwriting paper? My dd is using "second-grade" paper. I know that the teacher supply store I got it at also has "third-grade" paper. Do they make it after that?

Tara

Tara, I have the StartWrite program, so I can print lined paper as small as I want it. I have no idea how long "they" make handwriting paper, though. I can't remember from the last time I looked at the school supply place.

Check out Donna Young's handwriting paper. She has a lot of sizes. You can print a couple and compare to what you have.

Beth: It really depends on the kid. My oldest has great handwriting and has been using notebook paper for a long time. He's one of those kids who probably could've started out with it. Ds9--uh, we tried it. To say it was a failure would be an understatement. I've got ds7 using the 4th grade paper as well--he'll probably be ready for notebook paper in the next year.

Isn't this the truth? My younger dd just finished her copywork on notebook paper and it's really nice. My older dd's handwriting looks like it should belong to the younger one and I have no idea how she will respond to the idea of NB paper. I am fine with her keeping up with the lines for a little while, but I think her copywork will be too long for it sometime in the near future, so that may force the transition.

the Start Write program. I was able to gradually shrink the lines--I guess around 2nd grade or so, and I currently use it for an almost college rule line. Its also really nice to print out a customized paper whenever the urge strikes!

Even now, in 6th grade, if my son starts slacking in the handwriting dept.--I'll make some copywork on Startwrite for him to go over. It doesn't have cursive but the italic font is easy to tweak for an italic cursive.