Menu

How much is "to much" memorization?

dancer67

We are doing VP History, so my 11 yo is doing memory work with that course.

I also have a wonderful book that has poetry in it. I would like to use it for dictation, and for memorization.(We use IEW for writing as well).

Is that overkill in memory work, and writing?

It might be too much writing if you use IEW and write in other subjects, and if he shouldn't 'need' dictation if he's moved on to other writing assignments. If you really want him to have the practice of dictation for note taking and other purposes, I would rotate just take the occasional day/week off of IEW to do dictation and other exercises. fwiw, I personally have quit using any type of poetry for dictation, because it doesn't follow standard grammar rules (and often has odd spelling to boot).

For memory work, I would never leave out poetry! I'm not familiar with VP history, how long the memory work takes or how it's done. We just read through our memory work every morning, and both my kids like it (9 & 11). You could try starting with short, fun pieces.

I personally have quit using any type of poetry for dictation, because it doesn't follow standard grammar rules (and often has odd spelling to boot).

I agree, I will use Poetry only for memorization but not dictation.

I don't have any experience with VP so I don't know how many pieces they would have you remember in a year.

My children memorize the VP history CD every year, about 10-15 scriptures, and 8-10 poems. I also use IEW, have you looked at the note taking unit IV? I like to use short videos 5-10 minute long a grade level or two below and have them take notes from that.

ETA: We also added, states & capitols, presidents and regular LA stuff;-)

Edited by Pongo
added thought

My kids are in 1st and second. This year they are memorizing 13 poems; science, math, and grammar vocabulary words; the order of the planets; the Zodiac; 11 religious prayers in both English and the traditional prayer language; 12 Greek gods and Roman equivalents; the principal Viking gods; the Twelve Knights of the Round Table; and a Shakespearean sonnet. We spend 15 minutes a day working on memory work, and we also spend 15 minutes twice a week reading/reviewing already-memorized poems.

I don't know what the VP memory work is like, but limiting it to history and poetry seems like not enough to me.

Tara

In total agreement with Rose and Tara. No way can you get in too much. We do 1-3 sentences (or lists of 4-7) in 8 subject areas a week, poetry, geography and then do a dramatic performance a couple of times a year along with both VP hisotry cards and VP Bible Cards. My kids rock at memory work but we do a LOT of repitition and are really committed to it (i.e. work hard at it). The classical UMS I started this fall dedicates 45 minutes twice a week to memory along with 15 blocks of time 4 times a week to VP cards. No complaints from parents, but lots of thanks as they realize that their kids are capable of so much more than they ever imagined.

I'd recommend Drew Campbell's "Living Memory" (yet again) as well as IEW's poetry memorization program.

Classcial Conversations has good memory resources.

That doesn't sound like too much memory work IMO. My kids probably do at least that. We use Simply Charlotte Mason's memory box system to keep it all together. My 9yo did one poem a week this past month, and caught up on the prepositions list she had already memorized last year. I didn't assign that many, that's just how fast she memorized. The memory box makes sure they stay in regular review and won't get forgotten anytime soon.

I'm not familiar enough with IEW to compare it to how we do writing.)

The memory in VP isn't really very much. If you're learning the whole song in a week, it's a lot. Over the school year? It's nearly nothing.

You could still easily add in a stanza a week (or more) for poetry memorization along with foreign language vocabulary and memory for science, etc, etc.

So basically, I'm just agreeing with Rose: no such thing as "too much". In fact, the more we memorize, the better we get at it. It's not like there's limited space. :)