Menu

Anyone ever had a pig as a pet?

I'm seriously considering a tea cup pig as my next family pet. I currently have two cats and my kids really want a dog, but I just can't tolerate "dog smell."

I've done some research, and they get to be about 35 pounds, from what I understand. They're as smart and trainable as dogs, can be litter box trained like a cat if you prefer, are extremely social and get along well with other animals. They supposedly don't destroy things like puppies can, and don't have a bad odor.

It almost sounds too good to be true, so I'd like to get some opinions from those of you with personal experience.

What can you tell me? What do you think? Would you have a pig as a pet?

I have three potbelly pigs and two full sized pigs. Honestly, they're just like dogs. They are so thoroughly enjoyable. They are, by far, the cleanest animals out in the barn. I had to have one of my potbellies put down a year and a half ago, he was an old guy. He couldn't WAIT for me to open up his stall in the morning...... so he could go run into someone else's stall to go to the bathroom. My pigs regularly can't wait to get out of their stalls to relieve themselves.

I have found out why we say "pig headed." I've told my husband, you can try to stop the pigs, but they're going to do what they want to do. :D

My pigs can't WAIT for us to get out to see them. They run around in excitement just like..... dogs. :001_smile: They love to lay down in pools, sunbathe, even play with balls (the full sized pigs)

I can't think of one negative thing to say about pigs other than when they get sick, they go downhill FAST. I thought I was going to lose two pigs on two separate occasions and thankfully, meds saved them.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my pigs! I want a teacup pig!

Dh had a pot-bellied pig before I met him. He says that the no odor thing is a joke. His pig was stinky. :ack2: He also said that they can be difficult to train, especially potty train. His never did master potty training, and had accidents in the house. It also had a bad habit of rubbing its wet nose against people. I asked dh if there were any up-sides to the pig; he said it was affectionate. Also, it never tore anything up. Eventually, his family gave the pig away, as it was too much to handle.

Not wanting to be a total downer, just hoping to be helpful. ;)

ETA: I just saw that someone posted the same time I did. Dh's pig was indoors, not in the barn. I imagine that his perspetive on the pig might be different if it hadn't lived in his room. :D

Dh had a pot-bellied pig before I met him. He says that the no odor thing is a joke. His pig was stinky. :ack2: He also said that they can be difficult to train, especially potty train. His never did master potty training, and had accidents in the house. It also had a bad habit of rubbing its wet nose against people. I asked dh if there were any up-sides to the pig; he said it was affectionate. Also, it never tore anything up. Eventually, his family gave the pig away, as it was too much to handle.

Not wanting to be a total downer, just hoping to be helpful. ;)

ETA: I just saw that someone posted the same time I did. Dh's pig was indoors, not in the barn. I imagine that his perspetive on the pig might be different if it hadn't lived in his room. :D

I've had four potbellies, NONE of them have ever had an odor. Mine do live in the barn, but most animals do have an odor - potbellies aren't one of them. Maye your husbands was unique?

Also, pigs are known to be one of the absolute smartest animals. I'm surprised your dh couldn't house train his pig! They are known to easily train, but I'm sure there are a few bum pigs out there. ;)

OP, I was doing some searches. Are teacup pigs even available for sale?

My sister had a pet pig for a while (near Atlanta- though I don't know where she bought hers). Sadly, her housemate let the pig out in the yard with no shade while she was away, and the pig died from the heat.

I think they make great pets. Based on my sister's experience, I'd caution you to keep tabs on the heat!

Says this northern girl who can't stand Atlanta heat, herself. ;)

My sister had a pet pig for a while (near Atlanta- though I don't know where she bought hers). Sadly, her housemate let the pig out in the yard with no shade while she was away, and the pig died from the heat.

I think they make great pets. Based on my sister's experience, I'd caution you to keep tabs on the heat!

Says this northern girl who can't stand Atlanta heat, herself. ;)

Yeah, the heat can definitely be a killer, but he/she would be an indoor piggy so I'm not overly worried about that. Poor pig!

I'm seriously considering a tea cup pig as my next family pet. I currently have two cats and my kids really want a dog, but I just can't tolerate "dog smell."

I've done some research, and they get to be about 35 pounds, from what I understand. They're as smart and trainable as dogs, can be litter box trained like a cat if you prefer, are extremely social and get along well with other animals. They supposedly don't destroy things like puppies can, and don't have a bad odor.

It almost sounds too good to be true, so I'd like to get some opinions from those of you with personal experience.

What can you tell me? What do you think? Would you have a pig as a pet?

If you can't tolerate 'dog smell', then you better spend some time in close quarters with a pig before getting one. What they eat can effect their odor. Their surroundings can affect the odor you notice, a poorly trained pig inside a bedroom will be more offensive than a pig that lives in an airy barn with straw or shavings for bedding and let outside for bathroom duty. BTW, I can't tolerate shavings, so watch what you use for bedding as that could bother you too.

Pigs are as easy to train as dogs -- meaning some will train well, some won't! They are affectionate, but as adults, have a hair coat that is rather coarse. Their squeals for attention can be cute, or annoying, that's a matter of personal preference. I'm not fond of squealing for attention.

I may be prejudiced against having pigs as pets, since I raised them for food for many years. If you'd really like one, please spend some time with one in a similar environment so you really know what you're getting.

If you can't tolerate 'dog smell', then you better spend some time in close quarters with a pig before getting one. What they eat can effect their odor. Their surroundings can affect the odor you notice, a poorly trained pig inside a bedroom will be more offensive than a pig that lives in an airy barn with straw or shavings for bedding and let outside for bathroom duty. BTW, I can't tolerate shavings, so watch what you use for bedding as that could bother you too.

Pigs are as easy to train as dogs -- meaning some will train well, some won't! They are affectionate, but as adults, have a hair coat that is rather coarse. Their squeals for attention can be cute, or annoying, that's a matter of personal preference. I'm not fond of squealing for attention.

I may be prejudiced against having pigs as pets, since I raised them for food for many years. If you'd really like one, please spend some time with one in a similar environment so you really know what you're getting.

Excellent points. I really appreciate your point of view!